It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• HCTZ & rashes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    HCTZ & rashes

Finally saw the Derm today. Got a biopsy done on my 2 yr rash. I didn't realize that sometimes the the tissue sample can show a HCTZ reaction. The results will be back in two wks. Has anyone else done this? Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
    Edelweiss
    (female)

Edelweiss HB User
    Re: HCTZ & rashes

I was hoping that could have been done on me when I saw the dermatologist. Unfortunately, at the time I had no fresh lesions so it would render a biopsy useless. I have heard that a biopsy can be quite definitive as to what's the trigger of the rash. HCTZ is know to cause many different side effects.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

OK, so if the Hctz is found to be the trigger of the rash (which is what's expected), what happens? It would seem that stopping the Hctz should take care of the rash. That sounds too easy somehow! (and probably would not be an option....!)

Edelweiss,

do you often get rashes? There are many drugs that cause skin lesions or have other dermatological effects. The list is several pages long. Too bad we have to take the meds.

FG

Old 06-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
    Edelweiss
    (female)

Edelweiss HB User

FG, I developed chronic hives this past February that lasted for over 4 months. Along with the hives were bouts of intense internal itching at every imaginable place on my body. No cause was ever determined. (Idiopathic)

I've had reactions to bp drugs and antibiotics in the past which have caused a rash or hives, but I was able to determine the trigger right away and stop the medication. It seems the older I get, the more allergic I become! Oh, these "Golden Years"!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Edelweiss, I am sorry about your skin problems. I know how itchy the skin can get. I sometimes get the itchy skin without any visible rash on certain areas of the body - either the face, or arms, or the lower back. I heard that an oatmeal bath relieves the itching. It does not do anything for mine. I have yet to find something that does.

I am not sure which drugs cause my skin to react with a rash. I think they all do. I can see why determining the cause of a rash (if it can be determined) can be helpful. Is it possible that as our bodies change, we develop a higher sensitivity to "foreign" substances in our bodies and in the environment? I find these rashes extremely annoying. I am certain mine are 100% drug-related.

I hope Fam finds out what's triggering hers, and that the causes, once identified, can be avoided. Finding ways to cope with with hypertension and related issues is difficult enough. We should not have to be dealing with these unpleasant consequences of our drug therapies.

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-12-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

I probably would try reducing my HCTZ to 12.5 mg before stopping it entirely. Then the only alternative I guess would be to go to another diuretic.

This scenario would put more pressure on me to lose weight in hopes of reducing my meds. Fam

Old 06-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

All right. I hope you won't have to wait too long to find out for sure.

I have a question:
    Has anybody experienced..... a skin discoloration as a side effect of the meds? Sort of dirty-looking skin. Kind of like coffee-stained.

flowergirl

Old 06-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

FG,

What part of the body is the skin discoloration-I hope not the whole body!!!

I might add that given effectiveness of Hctz I probably would put up with the rash as long as it doesn't go to my throat & cause breathing problems. I didn't like the other diuretics when I looked into them given my particular medical scenario.

I have another itching rash on the bottom of my rt foot so I'm soaking my foot in vinegar water twice a day. Good thing I have the time to be a professional patient!!!! Fam

Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I
    Quote:
    have another itching rash on the bottom of my rt foot so I'm soaking my foot in vinegar water twice a day. Good thing I have the time to be a professional patient!!!!
    you've made me feel so much better! I am so glad there are others dealing with these freaky things.
    I actually thought my right forearm was dirty last night. I went into the bathroom, got a bar of soap and a handbrush, and started scrubbing. That's when I noticed the staining was UNDER the skin. It looks like a network of longish, vein-like stains. The tan hides it somewhat. I hope it's not permanent!!! Why can't I just have have another rash???
    I didn't know a vinegar soak was good for rashes. I'll have to remember this. Thanks for the tip!
    Sorry about your rashes - I know how it is.....

P.S. I forgot to mention that I also had edema last night. My legs were huge. It's a little better today. I should try to reduce the CCB.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-13-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Adding P.S.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #10
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

The vinegar water soak (1/2 & 1/2) is good for a possible fungus infection which it probably is given my daily swim. The Derm said to use it. I have used 1/2 alcohol & 1/2 white vinegar for ear itching caused by swimming. Guess there is no free lunch, you do one thing for good health & it causes side effects too.

Elevate your legs your legs whenever you sit. Wear support hose if possible. If you travel by car etc with long periods of sitting, remember to stop at least every two hrs & walk. Do leg exercises while sitting. I wonder if Tim Russer had a blood clot form while sitting for that long flight from Europe. He died yesterday of a heart attack. Fam

Old 06-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

We were as shocked as everyone else and my first thought was a cardiac arrest. How unfortunate. This is what we are all trying so hard to avoid.

Looks like I'll spend the summer wearing LONG pants and LONG sleeves. Geez. You should see my legs. There's no way I am going to wear shorts with legs swollen this much. I look like an elephant. Warm weather (we haven't had any yet) will make this edema much worse. I am not looking forward to that!
    I can't wear support hose. I tried it once (had bought 3 pairs) and had to take it off immediately. My leg hurt too much. Though the hose was only a slight compression grade, it caused unbearable pain in one leg. I will elevate my legs. I know that's what one is supposed to do. It does not help the edema much.
    I think the skin spotting could be an adverse reaction to something, maybe even sunlight? I don't know anything about the photosensitivity - a side effect of certain drugs. It could be something like that, though very selective. I guess I should try to learn something about photosensitivity and look for anything even remotely similar in the dermatology book you recommended. I've used it several times already. Seeing some of the skin disorders makes me realize that things are not really that bad. They could be worse.

flowergirl

Closed Thread