It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Diuretic brought BP down but I'm allergic to them!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
    strong_one
    (female)

strong_one HB User
    Diuretic brought BP down but I'm allergic to them!

Hi all -

I haven't posted in a while. I'm going through one of those spikes again and this one seems to be lasting a bit longer! Anyway, got a new doctor and my BP hasn't changed. I was at 152/108 (I have a bit of white coat BP). My normal range is still too high 145/100. Anyway, he put me on 40mg Benicar. I was taking Lisinopril and Clonidine. The clonidine would work but I am tired of being tired with it.

Anyway, I am now on Benicar 40 mg and to take a clonidine if my meds go up. This last weekend, he gave me Benicar 40 with HCTZ. I tried HCTZ before and got a real bad rash. This time I took only 1/2 the Benicar HCTZ and sure enough my BP went down but my rash returned to my arms. I stopped it and now the rash is gone. I went back to my 40mg of Benicar and my BP is still high. I'm always dizzy and just feel like a zombie all day after I take my clonidine!

IS there any diruetic that has no sulfa?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 04:12 AM   #2
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: Diuretic brought BP down but I'm allergic to them!

Are you sure its the sulfa & not the dye in HCTZ that is causing the rash? I was allergic to the dye so I had HCTZ made up without the dye by a compound pharmacist (they are all over the country.)

I've also taken Clonidine so I know too well the Zombie routine. Congratulations for getting off of it.

You can check out the other diuretics probably on
    Web MD but make sure you read the side effects before deciding to go that route. I didn't like them. Fam

Closed Thread