It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• I'm 16 Years Old and have Hypertension

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
    risetothetop
    (male)

risetothetop HB User
    I'm 16 Years Old and have Hypertension

First things first:
    16 years old
    male
    145lbs
    FIS Level Ski racer and run XC

A few months ago, I was running a 3k, and on the last stretch my vision went completely blurry and my eyes felt like they were going to blow up. I went home, didn't feel too good that night. Woke up the next morning with a slight headache, so my mom told me to get it checked out at school. I went down to get things checked out, and she took my blood pressure and it was 168/115 at 8:50am. Half an hour later, I was being rushed to the hospital. Got there and it was still high, they ran blood tests, EKG, urine tests, and did monitoring over a 5 hr period. They found nothing. They felt that it wasn't high enough for immediate prescriptions, and they set me up for follow up with my doctor 3 days later.

I go to my appointment, and it is still very high. My doctor, who I feel is a complete jackass who shouldn't have his license, treated me like a 4 year old, drawing diagrams and using analogies to explain what hypertension was. Everytime I said "I know", he cut me off and continued. He didn't prescribe me anything, and had me schedule a Kidney ultrasound due to the fact that my aunt has PSK syndrome. The results came back, but before I could schedule a new appointment with him, he left office. Anyway, my results came back negative, and I scheduled with my new primary care doctor.

A week before my schedule, my #s jumped back up, reaching 178/117 at some points, forcing us to make a sooner appointment. Met with a nurse practitioner, and she put me on a surprisingly low dose of 5mg Prinivil, I'm not sure why the low amount, but I am just going to assume it was to see how my body took it and how effective it was initially. My blood pressure was still high, 155/104 at a high average, dropping a point every few days I continued the Prinivil. A few days before my appointment, it began to climb again, point by point. My new doctor doubled it, and it dropped down to the high 140/90s, gradually dropping from the 150/100s. That was a few weeks ago, and it is beginning to rise again. At my appointment he noticed a slight heart murmor that was mentioned in the ER notes, so he decided to schedule me for an echocardio. The results are supposed to be in tomorrow, so I am making another visit to the office before I leave for vacation. Last week my aunt (double masters in nursing) took my blood pressure with my Mercury manometer, and it was 157/98.

has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Last edited by risetothetop; 07-20-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: I'm 16 Years Old and have Hypertension

Are you still on a high carb diet?

One of the most important body chemicals is insulin. Insulin permits blood sugar to enter cells and helps the body use blood sugar for energy. If there is a problem with the handling of insulin, caused by consuming more carbs than the body can handle, all hell breaks loose in the body, causing all kinds of problems, such as heart palpitations and high blood pressure.

Most athletes can tolerate and burn up high levels of carbs, without their bodies becoming resistant to the high levels of insulin. You might be one of the unfortunate few whose metabolism can't keep up with the level of carbs that you are consuming.

I'm sure that there might be other possible explanations for your high blood pressure, but, if you are interested in further exploring the link between high carbohydrates and high blood pressure, you might want to at least look into Metabolic Syndrome or Insulin Resistance.

⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 07-21-2008 at 05:07 AM.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
    risetothetop
    (male)

risetothetop HB User

Blood tests came back fine and I know for a fact that my metabolism can keep up, as I never gain weight.

Echo results came back fine, but my doctor added 12.5mg of hydrolorothiazide to my prescription.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-21-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 07-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
    midi77
    (male)

midi77 HB User

I had a similar situation when I was 16, had every test done in the book, I have MVP, which they assumed was the cause of my high blood pressure. I was on accutane at the time as well, after I stopped that, my blood pressure returned to more normal. I am on a betablocker now, which has helped. Some doctors say that HPB begins in the teens, but most people don't usually catch it until later.

Have you had you adrenal glands checked?

Old 07-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
    risetothetop
    (male)

risetothetop HB User

yes, they did that with the ultrasound and the bloodwork that followed.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #6
    Sandra49
    (female)

Sandra49 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    Are you still on a high carb diet?

One of the most important body chemicals is insulin. Insulin permits blood sugar to enter cells and helps the body use blood sugar for energy. If there is a problem with the handling of insulin, caused by consuming more carbs than the body can handle, all hell breaks loose in the body, causing all kinds of problems, such as heart palpitations and high blood pressure.

Most athletes can tolerate and burn up high levels of carbs, without their bodies becoming resistant to the high levels of insulin. You might be one of the unfortunate few whose metabolism can't keep up with the level of carbs that you are consuming.

I'm sure that there might be other possible explanations for your high blood pressure, but, if you are interested in further exploring the link between high carbohydrates and high blood pressure, you might want to at least look into Metabolic Syndrome or Insulin Resistance.

Hmmm? This may be the case for my daughter, I am at my wits end regarding my 20 year daughter, she is a carbs junky. I wonder how prevalent HBP is in teens and young adults?

Closed Thread