It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Diovan HCT & Breathing Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Diovan HCT & Breathing Problems

Hi all

Well I have been on the Diovan HCT 80/12.5 and Toprol 25mg for 14 straight days now and my pressure is GREAT (for me 120/86 at the Drs. office!!!!!! He was thrilled !!!

The past few days my nose has been really stuffed and I feel congested and my asthma/breathing (which has been GREAT for the past almost 3 months) has started acting up BAD... Adding Diovan HCT is the only change I have made.

In doing some research I found this in the PDR:

"Use Diovan HCT with caution if you have a history of allergy or bronchial asthma"

Can someone please explain this to me - I thought this category of drug was safe for asthmatics? My Dr. of course knows that I have asthma????

Please help - my breathing is worsening each day. Thank you!!!

I must say I am so excited to have my B/P down from 150/115 to 120/86 - and I can live with the stuffy nose, leg pains, and stomach upset - but I CANNOT dealing with the breathing problems sarting up all over again like they did when I was on the 75 mg Toprol (which did not even give me good B/P control) ....

Any advice/suggestions please!

Thank you

Vanessa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User
    Re: Diovan HCT & Breathing Problems

You should check the warnings on Toprol. Beta blockers are problematic with asthma also. As you started both at the same time, it's hard to tell which may be causing the problem. I see you recently reduced the Toprol but even a smaller amount may affect you.

I personally just had a very bad experience with beta blockers (Atenolol) and think much more caution should be used in their recommendation. Not only did they not reduce my BP, they actually began acting as a vaso constrictor in my body (and many others as well) over time and were increasing my BP. If you are not getting BP reduction from it, why take it?

But either way, check it out and talk with your doc about finding out which is the problem or both?

Last edited by ms58; 07-22-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you for your kind reply.

I have been on Toprol for over 5 years - at the highest doseage 75mg - I am on 25mg and being weaned off of it over the next (3) weeks...

I definitely had major asthmatic type breathing problems on the higher doseage of Toprol - but these new breathing problems seem to have started with the Diovan - I almost feel like I have an upper respiratory type infection or cold - but the breathing its so bad.

Yuck and scary! What do you take instead of the Atenol?

Thanks again.

Vanessa

Last edited by Vanessa74; 07-22-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User

I switched over to a ccb, diltiazem cd. I am still in the process of flushing the venom of the beta blocker out of my system. And the ccb has not really taken over yet. I also take Linsinopril/HCTZ 20/12.5. So I can't really comment on effectiveness of the new mix. I am also losing weight. So time shall tell.

I just thought the mixture of your old Toprol and the new Diovan might be the problem and when you are off Toprol you'd feel better, but if you can't breathe, you can't wait to find out.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hello Vanessa,

I am sorry to hear about your worsening breathing problems. I know how you feel, because I suffer from these nasty problems myself. Like your shortness of breath, mine gets better and then worse again. I don't think I've ever been completely free of it since it started. Learning to tolerate it is something I have not mastered yet. It is very restrictive. I find myself avoiding most activities and try to take it easy.

I think that the drugs we take cause half of our problems. Most of the ones I am on -antihypertensives and PPIs are capable of causing shortness of breath in given circumstances. Add to it a condition or two that also causes shortness of breath - for instance asthma, GERD, hiatal hernias....cardio problems...anemia...etc. - and it's no surprise we can't breathe.
    I have yet to figure out what will make me breathe better. One thing that works for me is being physically less active and avoiding those activities that could result in a faster heart rate (IF I can help it!!!). If I have to do something physically demanding, I do it slowly, stop frequently and try to maintain control of my breathing.

I don't want to give the wrong advice and am not sure avoiding exertion is the right thing to do. It seems to work for me though. I'll bet we'd both breathe better without our meds!!!!

flowergirl

Old 07-22-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I forgot to add that Hctz has shortness of breath listed as a side effect. So do the calcium channel blockers, ACE inhibitors, and a beta blockers. I researched all my drugs thoroughly when looking for answers for my SOB. If I looked hard enough, I'd probably find that the remaining drug class, the ARBs (which I can't tolerate), can also have this effect on some people. Besides the shortness of breath that can result from the use of antihypertensives, one also has to watch for their interactions with other meds taken concurrently. The best way to help ourselves is to aim for a reduction in the number and doses of meds we take daily - like Machaon. It's good to hear you're already working on it.

flowergirl

Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you both so much...... Of all the side effects I find difficulty breathing the most anxiety producing - for obvious reasons

You are so right Flower - I take such a variety of medication daily (Prevacid, Carafate, Flovent, Toprol, Diovan) -- who knows if it could be one - or two or more interacting with each other. My mind is tired from trying to figure it out. Or as you stated - on of the conditions that I suffer from (GERD, IBS, Asthma, HBP) causing it

The problem is - I need the HBP control -- mine is just too high without it so not medicating is not an option. I am hoping that maybe sticking it out my body will adjust to the medicine and the side effects will decrease (if the Diovan is even what is doing it !!!) - who knows maybe I actually picked up a summer cold and that is making my asthma act up

I too have given a great deal of consideration that the Diovan and Toprol may be interacting with each other - my Dr. is loath to remove the Toprol component at this time because I am getting such great B/P control

Its all so confusing and for me very scary. My breathing problems seem to be the worst during the night and in the morning - I get a sort of mucousy cough and a tightness in my chest - this is all very recent. I do get short of breath many times throughout the day on the least exertion Also very upsetting....

Thank you all for listening and for commenting - it helps to know that I am not alone We are in this together and I have support!

Nessa

Closed Thread