It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• is low blood pressure bad need some advice on this....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Question is low blood pressure bad need some advice on this....

hi all well i started out with high b/p it was running like 150 over 90 to 100 for a long time so the dr put me on 10 mgs of lisinopril my b/p was doing great it was like 115/60-70'sok then it started going down like 95/59-62 or like 105/60's is this low ? also i was told that if my b/p is low it makes you extremely tired ,if so its true i will sleep 9 hrs get up and fall asleep again then in evening fall asleep again,also if you have low b/p can it cause you to faint ? cause i been fainting alot my dr told me to stop the b/p pills and its pretty normal but sometimes goes low like lastnight it was 100/62 my heartrate is good its likr 70-85 and is low b/p just as bad as high b/p?
    i see my dr thursday aug 7th.
    anyone out there have some advice as im scared about low b/p i dont know if its bad to have low i do know high b/p is bad but what about low?
    thanks any advice would ease my mind.
    vickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #2
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User
    Re: is low blood pressure bad need some advice on this....

Too low and too high are not good. The ideal BP of 120/80 is the goal. If you are fainting and sleeping, ofcourse that's not good for you or your body. Do what your doctor advises to regulate your meds or diet or whatever so you approach a more normal reading.

Keep in mind, any med can cause unexpected results due to interaction with other meds or supplements we may be taking. Allergic reactions also cause unexpected results. And some meds just don't work correctly on some people due to their unique chemical makeup. That's why it often takes a few tries till we land on a good med or combo of meds for ourselves.

Your pressure may still be dropping (fluctuating) due to the time it takes for the med to leave your body. And each day it will regulate a little more.

Always try to list all your your meds and supplements in an interaction checking site or with your pharmacy to see how they act together.

Last edited by ms58; 08-02-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Drinking 16oz of any kind of non-caffeine fluid within a 15 min period will raise your systolic b/p (top number) about 20 points. It should stay there for about 2 hrs. Don't do this if you are supposed to restrict your fluids or have some kind of heart problem. Ask your Dr. if this is okay. I've had to do this a few times even though I normally have high b/p.

Usually b/p below 90/50 results in decreased oxgen to the brain so you get symptoms (lightheadness etc.). I find it works best with my body to keep the top number at least 110. The bottom number is another story because these drugs often lower the diastolic too much (bottom number.) Be sure & check your b/p monitor with your Dr's monitor for accuracy. Fam

Old 08-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

I had high blood pressure as well with numbers similar to yours. When I started on my meds, I also started working out and losing a bit of weight. Before too long I had similar symptoms - light headedness and very low bp. I've come off my blood pressure medicine and now have an average blood pressure of 115/75. (at it's lowest, I was consistently getting readings of 95/65 and sometimes even dipping to 89/59). I'm sure you will feel tons better by going off the meds. I would be sure to check your BP regularly (especially if you have no made any lifestyle changes) since you are prone to high bp just to make sure it does not creep back up

Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

I went to my new dr today. my b/p was 130/75 or 80 i forget but i was nervous too. and i been fainting since sept 06 but not as bad, then it got worse. so im wondering if my b/p was making me faint. see my neuro dr says i have seizures as well but im confused cause i have not fell down since going off the b/p pills. but i also went 6 mos without falling down while on the b/p pills along with 1,000 mgs of depakote er for seizures so only time will tell. i havent felt as dizzy. i did once the other night but i was cleaning my kitchen and was over doing it and i had just stopped the b/p pills a few days before.

now for some reason my left is higher then my right. i use a home monitor are they as good ? i also think my thyrold is up again but that wouldnt make you have fainting spells. so the dr took a bunch of blood work and said he would get to the bottom of whats wrong with me. last night before bed my b/p was 112/70. now how acurate are the home b/p tests?? i do know the drs are better but the dr said they were pretty good and my old dr told me to stop taking the b.p pills without seeing me which was ok cause this dr saw all my readings. i kept track and wrote it down.

and can anyone tell me what happens if you do faint from low or high b/p ?? like if you faint can it be possible that it looks like a seizure when its b/p? i still may have seizures i just dont know.
    thanks any advice would be helpful.
    vickie

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-07-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: edited punctuation

Old 08-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
    aether4
    Veteran
    (female)

aether4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
    and can anyone tell me what happens if you do faint from low or high b/p ?? like if you faint can it be possible that it looks like a seizure when its b/p? i still may have seizures i just dont know.
    thanks any advice would be helpful.
    vickie
    I don't know about my full faints - syncope, as I'm out pretty quickly. With my near faints I do have some minor jerking in my arms. The last time I fainted I was very sore and confused upon waking - but there was a doctor there so surely nothing bad happened.
    If you look up syncope and seizure, you'll find reference that some minor jerking isn't that uncommon.
    Also, to complicate things, not all seizures people have are epileptic in nature - some people have autonomic seizures which don't respond to the typical meds used for epilepsy.

Typically fainting is caused either a sudden drop in blood pressure - this can happen even if you have normal or high blood pressure, or from something tripping the autonomic nervous system. Those that faint from seeing blood or when getting their blood drawn fall into the "tripped autonomic nervous system" group, too.

I thought I had forgot something last night - Yes, thyroid issues can cause problems with blood pressure and fainting. Make sure to focus getting that under control.

Last edited by aether4; 08-08-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Closed Thread