It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• My Experience with Tekturna HCT

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
    shane32
    (male)

shane32 HB User
    My Experience with Tekturna HCT

Hi, this is my first time to post here. I was diagnosed with HBP 5 years ago when I was 31, otherwise am healthy, in shape etc. The doctor prescribed Lisinopril 40mg & a diuretic. Every year when I went back to the doctor BP was fine & I really didn't experience any side effects. This year I moved & had to go to a new doctor in July to get my prescription. He told there me was this great new drug out called Tekturna & it was much better than Lisinopril. Said Lisinopril relaxed the blood vessels after they were already constricted, whereas Tekturna worked much earlier in the chemical process to keep vessels from constricting in the first place. He didn't refill the Lisinopril & instead gave me a month's worth of Tekturna samples.
    What a disaster! BP went up instead of down, plus I felt terrible while taking this, i.e. severe indigestion, aching muscles etc. It also messed up my heartrate, alternating between very fast & very slow. By day 8 I'd had enough, went back to Dr.. BP was 180/120. He added a drug called Azor, Buspar for anxiety (I'd never had anxiety till I went to see this guy!) & told me to come back in a couple days & he would add a Beta Blocker. Enough was enough, I went to another Dr., told him the situation, he put me back on the Lisinopril, said I should've been left on it. Also told me that his office had not given out any Tekturna samples, nor prescribed it yet, were waiting for more feedback.
    While going thru this, I've done a lot of research on this drug, talked to many different people. With drugs such as Lisinopril, Diovan, Micardis etc, most of the issues generally concern the side effects & whether they are tolerable, not the fact of whether they work. With Tekturna there seems to be a great debate on if it even works & there's quite few terrible experiences like mine. Have also noticed the longer this drug is out the more it's prescribed as an add-on therapy vs stand alone treatment.
    Anyhow, I just wanted to tell of my experience with Tekturna. This drug is so new it's hard to find much info on it. I also appreciate this health board, it's been very informative. This was the 1st time I'd ever went thru anything like this & it was pretty scary, so it's good to have a forum like this where people can share their experiences.
    If anyone should try this drug I hope their very careful, check their BP & pulse constantly. It's been 18 days since I stopped taking Tekturna & I'm still not completely normal again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
    yanni
    (female)

yanni HB User
    Re: My Experience with Tekturna HCT

Shane, thank you... my PC dr. gave me samples of the tekturna to try because my blood pressuer is no longer under control with the meds that i am presently using. i have multiple allergies to meds as well as adverse reactions to many meds. because of this, i am very reluctant in trying tekturna. i have read other reviews of patients using it and for the most part, although very few post, they were very negative. i think i will wait to see the cardiologist and ask him what he thinks of my trying this drug. he is really not one for experimenting with such new medications with very sensitive patients.

peace

Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
    ladyinleppard
    (female)

ladyinleppard HB User

How very scary and what a quack doctor you had.Glad to hear you have a new one.Thanks for the info.It is nice to hear peoples experences to these meds and be aware of their sight effects.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience with this drug. It almost sounds like it's one to stay away from! It takes a few years for a new drug on the market to prove its worth. Whether or not that is going to happen with Tekturna HCT, time will tell.

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-12-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
    jossante
    (male)

jossante HB User

MAYBE THE IMPORTANT ISSUE HERE IS HOW INDIVIDUAL OUR BODIES CAN BE. i have been on bp meds for 17 years, with the first drug Propranolol i walked around for years depressed and feeling my decreased energy was because i was getting old. i was to naive to realize how these drugs simple do not lower blood pressure but have many other affects like the many that cause repressed sexual energies. my previous medication before the Tekturna was Lisinopril and Clonidine 0.1 mg. i used these medications for about 5 years in every possible size combination to decrease side affects. The clonidine was the only medication i used since 1990 that simple lowered my bp. however recommended made my joints ache severely and depressed me. I tried micro doses through out the day and worked but was hard to manage daily. eventually i ended up with 0.1 mg, 2x a day but had to add small amounts of lisinpril to have the best numbers. my bp was the best it had ever been, but it became clear it would seem to build up in my body and i would feel a depressed feeling with which i was contently struggling. so for the last few years i would take the meds for 5 days or so until i felt depressed and then i would stop for a drug holiday and start again when i was feeling good. the feeling off medication was dramatic and i felt like the Self most common to my experience. the depressive affect was hard to manage even with my self awareness and often would present a feeling of wishing i was dead. i have significant skills at dealing with my feelings, but when this mood would happen i would feel i could not express or talk my way through it as i am use to doing with feelings. Using Lisinopril alone in small doses was no help and in larger dose within the usual recommended doses range created a significant lethargic feeling and it was difficult to create a sense of caring or wanting to get things done. When stopping the meds, i would return to a normal mental status in a couple days. Finally stopped this bp medication hell after 17 years and tried 3 alcohol drinks a day. i have never been a drinker and it was like more like taking medication. that worked for a few hours after the drink but would not cover the day. I gave Tekturna, 150 mg a try a couple months ago and after trying for years, most of the major bp meds on the market unsuccessful, Tekturna has so far worked for me. So be aleart, be conscious, know your body and pay attention to what it tells you. with myself i have excellent communication with my doctor of the last 10 years and he helped me look for alternatives, but without success until the Tekturna. he was not subscribing to others because he had no experience with it. what did help me to use and tolerate the drugs that made me feel bad was that i was using below recommended doses and through out the day, not in one daily dose. so i was well controlled on the clonidine and Lisinopril with this lower than normal doses but not able to tolerate the mood affect. 9/25/08 about 5 days ago, i had what felt like and appeared to be Gout in my left leg and foot. I then read that Tekturna can cause a Gout reaction. i was having extreme weakness in left knee, at times unable to stand on it, if i bent leg at knee was unable to straighten knee out without using my hands and the pain was about an 7 on scale of ten. also extreme pain in the big toe of my left foot. i stopped the med, drank lots of water and saw my doctor about a day and a half after the Gout like reaction started. the lab did a blood test for uric acids levels because that is what causes Gout but found the level to not be high. I am not sure if i will try to return to the Tekturna. if i do, i may cut the 150 mg in half. however, currently i am really tired of dealing with drug reactions. i will try to lose more weight, i am 5ft 10in and 192 lbs. i have seen some people return to their weight of their twenties and by doing so theier blood pressure was normal. we all seem to realize such weight lose in this society is near impossible and to keep it down. i am controlling my blood pressure by other means currently and averaging 134/79 but it is requires constant measures (which i will not discuss) and are not conducive to daily life of a non-retired individual. i am retired and will do this for awhile and also try to lose more weight.

Last edited by jossante; 09-25-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: for reasons of clarity

Old 09-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
    Mike1951
    (male)

Mike1951 HB User

Thanks for the post, Shane. It's the first one I've come across that shows Tekturna doesn't work for EVERYONE (I was starting to feel like a freak!) I was diagnosed with HBP in 1992 and have been on a variety of meds since then, although with little great success. I had lived with relatively high readings for ages (160's/100's) until about five years ago when I dropped to 130's/80's. I attribute this to starting low carb eating and starting fish oil supplements.

Recently, I had an episode of stroke-like syptoms that lasted several days before I finally called the doctor on a Saturday and was told to go to the ER to be checked out. Everything tested fine. When I saw my physician for a follow up, he said he felt I was finally experiencing effects of having high blood pressure for so many years, and my readings were currently high again as in years past. I told him the only thing I had changed in my routine was that I had stopped taking the oil supplements a few months earlier. Due to surgery for an enlarged prostate several years ago, I had been bleeding into my bladder over the last couple years whenever I exerted myself. I'd learned that vitamin E, particularly when obtained via fish oil, had a significant blood thinning effect. I decided to stop the oil pills as an experiment, and I stopped bleeding no matter how active I was. I suggested to the doctor that I believed my increased blood pressure was too coincidental with this situation, but I was too concerned with the prospect of bleeding again to go back on the oil. He said we have to start working harder to find something that works. He prescribed HCTZ in addition to my Diovan 360 and said to monitor my BP at home and come back in a month at the end of July.

Not much changed overall. After the middle of the month, when my readings were starting to go into the 170's/100's, I decided to start back on the oil but at two thirds the previous dosage and see what happened. The systolic dropped back down into the high 140's, low 150's, diastolic dropped to high 90's, low 100's. At the beginning of August he took me off the HCTZ and gave me almost two months samples of Tekturna 300 to take at bedtime with the Diovan.

The morning before starting Tekturna, I measured 147/98. The morning after the first Tekturna pill I measured 182/110; forty minutes later I was 180/115. That evening after work I was 188/112, and when I hit 191/122 twenty minutes later, I called the doctor and asked what he thought was going on. He said to add the HCTZ back in and monitor the BP and let him know how things went. I wanted off the Tekturna, but he said to stay on it.

My morning readings were all over the map, ranging from mid-130's/mid-90's to high-160's/mid-110's. My evening readings dropped to what is considered normal, but only because I drink two, sometimes three martinis a night. But after starting the Tekturna, I began not feeling well, particularly in the mornings. Couldn't explain it to him well, just a feeling of being ill. I started getting heartburn that would last all day (I never had heartburn before). After a few weeks of that, I called for an appointment and saw his associate who was in disagreement with the use of Tekturna this early in its public distribution. He put me on Coreg, but said to keep taking everything else and talk to my regular doctor in a few days.

Again, nothing much changed other than the fact that I was now taking four pills for blood pressure and not seeing results. About a week later I let my doctor know I was running low on Tekturna and asked if I could go off it. He told me no, he would put in for an approval from my health carrier for the Rx. I knew this would be a third tier drug, and I wouldn't care if I were seeing results and felt well. I started trying again to find cases similar to mine, but was coming up with nothing. The only drug interaction I could find that applied to me was that I was taking Lipitor, and that can cause too much Tekturna to be in the bloodstream. I was also surprised to see he started me on the 300mg pills when the standard routine is to start a patient on 150mg.

Several days ago, my mail order pharmacy left a message that they couldn't process one of my prescriptions. I went online and found the doctor had sent an Rx to them for 90 days of the Tekturna 300. I tried without luck to find out why they couldn't process it, but bottom line, I was happy. I could find no details on how to wean oneself off the drug and decided to just cut the 13 pills I had left in half and take them until they were gone. I know the standard warning is to not stop any medication unless discussed with a doctor, but in this case I felt he was not paying enough attention to my concerns.

After about a week on the half-pills now, I don't have that sick feeling anymore; I feel "normal" again. My morning readings are coming down steadily, and the evening readings look good, particularly after alcohol intake. In a few days, I will be out of Tekturna and will have to see what happens. I have an appointment in the beginning of October and will have to reveal my course of action and the results. If my BP looks the way it did before the Tekturna, I will refuse to go back on it if he suggests that. What I think he should do is put me at the next dosage level of the Coreg and see what that does (the starting dose is 20mg and they titrate you up in steps up to the max dose of 80mg if necessary).

As I've read elsewhere, not everyone's physiology is the same and doctors can't expect all drug therapy to work the same on everyone, even if the majority says it does. I used to suffer from anxiety disorder for years and the medical community couldn't find a reason for it and couldn't treat it successfully with any of the standard medications. My research into the diseases of the nervous system led me to the effects of vitamin B on the nerves. I read that alcohol depletes the body of B, and so it made sense to me that I might have a deficiency, but I tested ok in this respect. Regardless, after reaching a point where I felt the disorder was affecting my heartbeat and breathing, I took it on myself to do the only thing in my power, which was to start taking a vitamin B supplement heavy in B12 and B6. Within days, DAYS mind you, the symptoms I had suffered with for years disappeared. My vision, which had also been affected, started improving. As long as I kept taking the super-B complex, I was fine. If I discontinued it, my symptoms would start returning within days. When I discussed this with my doctor at my next visit, he told me I was either experiencing a placebo effect, or the medical world hasn't learned enough about vitamin's effect on different people. This was five years ago. I have recently read neurologist's reports on the astonishing effects of vitamin B therapy in their patients suffering from anxiety disorder; these were therapies started right around the time I started it. Don't be afraid to believe you're different from other people and that maybe what works for someone else, maybe EVERYONE else, won't work for you. Don't lose sight of the possibility that maybe something you're taking is having a negative effect on you. I don't advocate trying to be your own doctor, but I do highly recommmend you read as much as you can and take ownership of your health. Be able to discuss your condition with your doctors in a responsible way to reach your health goals.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
    shane32
    (male)

shane32 HB User

I sympathize with you, I thought I was going nuts while on this drug. This stuff was poison to me, was the first time in my life I had ever really been sick or had a bad reaction to a drug. And we are not alone in our reactions to Tekturna. While it obviously works for some people, I have heard and read about many others who had experiences similar to or worse than ours. What amazes me is how many doctors want to keep people on this drug even after it's become apparent its having a detrimental effect (or no effect at all.) It will be interesting to see how Tekturna plays out in the future. It is so new and so few people are on it. I only hope it doesn't turn out to be another "Viox" - a lot of people (& doctors) swore by it also, yet it proved deadly to many others.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

My experience seems closest to Jossante. I too, have been through many medications adjustments after 15 years fighting malignant hypertension.

My nephrologist offered a try with Tekturna when it became available, and I loved it.

Over the years, differant medications seem to work at differant times. I cant tell you how many combinations of medications have come and gone.

My advice is to listen to your body, keep a little notebook where you record your blood pressures once a day, at the same time of day. Dont look for symptoms of side effects. Bring your notebook to your doctor's appointments and share openly with your doctor.

And most of all, remember that high blood pressure is the silent killer. I suffer from malignant hypertention, which is deadly hypertension. It left me with 4 strokes, a heart attack, strokes in my retina's, kidney failure, RLS, apnea, blah blah blah...

Tekturna did help me. Just keep close watch over your healthcare, you are your own best advocate. Your healthcare provider can guide you the best, through the trials with any medication.

Most of all, keep an open mind, the answer usually finds it's way in!
    Best wishes

Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

writeleft,

how many medications do you take to control your blood pressure? Are you still on Tekturna? I wonder how big a reduction in blood pressure can be achieved with this drug when used alone. If it works as well as some of the posters suggest, I should ask my nephrologist about it. Replacing two or three medications with just one while getting the same results (as jossante has done) sounds very tempting and would be so nice! The only problem that I can envision is that my doctor is from the ''old school'', and uses only the "tried and true'' treatments.

flowergirl

Old 10-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
    chrissy12
    (female)

chrissy12 HB User
    Re: My Experience with Tekturna (no HCT)

I have had high blood pressure for about 1 year, and I have taken about 9 different medications. I was allergic (or had an adverse reaction) to all of them. Some made my face and throat swell. Others made my eyes swell. Others, such as lisinopril made me cough 24 hours a day. Others upset my stomach so badly that I would have stomach cramps that would cause me to bend over and hold my stomach. Another affected my bladder, and after I would urinate and wipe myself, I would stand up from the toilet, and more urine would come out on its own. All the while that I was on these painful and damaging medications, my blood pressure was still high (175/98 and higher). I am highly allergic to sulfa and anything containing sulfa. Did you know that lasix contains sulfa? It does.

Finally, my doctor prescribed Tekturna. Thanks goodness he did. I don't think I could have made it through another adverse reaction to another medicine. My doctor prescribed 150mg once a day, but my blood pressure still remained too high. Then my doctor told me to start taking one 150mg tablet every 12 hours. My blood pressure started to go down immediately. I have had no side effects, and I've been on the drug for 2 months. My blood pressure is normal now. This is the first time in a year that my face, hands, throat, and feet haven't been swollen. I also take 1 or 2 water pills per day called Dyrenium 100mg. I'm hoping to get off the diuretic within a few months. I had to take the Dyremium to counteract the adema fromt he other BP medications. I was taking 3 per day, and they didn't help my swelling. I had to take benedril to counteract the swelling in my throat. I should have gotten off those medications sooner, but I kept hoping each would work.

There was nothing wrong with my kidneys nor my heart or arteries, but I thought I was doomed to die from high blood pressure. I'm so excited that this medicine helped me, and I wanted the world to know.

Chrissy12

Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
    Maddyb
    (female)

Maddyb HB User

I took Tekturna 150 for 5 weeks , never did a thing!! But I felt great. Doc changed me to Tekturna 150 hct.
    I feel like AWFUL!!! My head is killing me, Im not hungry, and My Bp goes UP and down like a yoyo!!
    I dont think I can take this medicine!!! I was on Benicar for 3 yrs with great success, till it quit working.

He put me on Benicar hct, which worked, but My blood pressure was SO low, I couldnt function.

When it got so low, he took me off all bp meds,, and in a month, it shot up to 190/110 . So I called, went in, and he tried the tekturna,,, I really need help here, Im driving my husband crazy, because im so scared nothing will work.
    I know this is supposed to be a wonder drug, But I feel like im dying!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

I have suffered with malignant hypertension for over ten years. I have been through every concievable combination of BP medications, and I know what trials we have to go through to find a magic combination. I have had 4 strokes, and kidney failure in the last 5 years, all while under the close eyes of BP and kidney specialists.

As soon as Tekturna was released, my doctor tried me on it, and it worked wonders for me (in addition to 12 other meds I take, including benicar hct, labetolol, dynacirc, norvasc-which I take daily).

If it is not working for you, try something else. Be patient, and keep after it. It's a long term thing, and it can be very frustrating. I would suggest you be very open with your Dr. and your husband. It is important that you have support and understanding as you sort all this out. Whatever you do, don't give up. Hypertension leads to kidney damage, vision loss, stroke, and even death. Take it from me... I have them all, except the death , and I'm only 48.

Take good care

Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #13
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

writeleft,

I am so sorry about your problems. I probably should not be asking, but would you mind telling me if your kidney disease was ever diagnosed? Have blood clots caused it?
    Thanks for your input. It's good to know that Tekturna is an effective treatment option.

flowergirl

Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
    camjunkie
    (male)

camjunkie HB User

I haven't taken the HCT version, but I take Tekturna 150mg daily and it's doing a great job on my essential hypertension. It's the first ARB I've been able to tolerate. I tried Benicar HCT, and it made me ill - nausea, dizziness, and heart rate changes). I tried Micardis and had a similar response. I suffered for a year on Diovan HCT and had a lot of dizziness. I tried Atacand and again, experiences dizziness. So it could be that Tekturna just doesn't work for you.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

How much HCT is in the medicine? As you probably know HCT is a diuretic, there are a bunch of rules that you need to follow to get the most out of this drug without harming yourself.

I would ask to take HCT separately to determine the correct dose for you. In the medical text that I have by a well known expert, he says some patients only need little as 6.25mg of HCT whereas a few might need as much as 50mg.

Your headache rings a bell for me as far as dehydration if your dose is too high. Don't take calcium supplements unless your blood calcium is low & your Dr. has said too after checking your calcium. Drs forget that HCT causes the kidneys to retain a certain amount of calcium. My Endo was pushing calcium supplements until I reminded him nicely. He was embarrassed.

You also need to know your blood sodium as it can get quite low if you are going salt free too while on a diuretic.

Same thing with potassium. Eat 3 servings of veggies & at least 2 fruits a day.

Then there is water intake. You still need to drink some kind of fluid. I'm on 25mg of HCT & find that drinking 8 glasses of some kind of fluid daily works for me. Be sure to just sip your drinks rather than drinking them fast as it will raise your b/p. Fam

Closed Thread