It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• diuretic not working

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
    huskie
    (female)

huskie HB User
    diuretic not working

i have had high bp for nearly three years.I have tried most meds but always get side effects after a while.My bp when first diagnose was 210/112 for about the last year it has stuck at 160 or 150/95.Four days ago doc stopped the bendroflumethiazide with the candesarten and gave me lasix instead.I have read about lasix and was expecting to be dashing to the loo every 5 mns but I am not is this ok or does it take a while to get into your system.Thanks for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: diuretic not working

Huskie,

have you been taking Lasix INSTEAD OF bendroflumethizide AND candesartan or is it IN ADDITION TO one or both of the two drugs listed above?

Do you have any other health conditions requiring the use of diuretics?

What does your doctor think about your current blood pressure levels?

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-14-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
    huskie
    (female)

huskie HB User

I am now taking candesarten and lasix.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
    huskie
    (female)

huskie HB User

I have no other health concerns.Doc says if this doesnt work he will do some more tests.I have had an echo and chest xray blood tests etc. They all come back fine. I dont know what other tests there are.

Last edited by huskie; 08-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Huskie,

I am not very familiar with Candesartan. I tried two other drugs from this class (Diovan and Micardis) and could not tolerate them.
    I am taking Lasix though, in addition to my two diuretics, Hctz and Spironolactone. Since the addition of Lasix about two weeks ago, there's been no change in my blood pressure. My primary reason for taking it was to help with edema. There's been no visible improvement. Under normal circumstances, it is a POTENT diuretic.

Did you know that the books say that IF the hypertension cannot be adequately controlled with thiazide diuretics, it will NOT be adequately controlled with Lasix alone. I know you are taking another antihypertensive drug as well. That might make a difference. Perhaps you'll see better results if you wait a few more days.

Some thoughts regarding these drugs:

Lasix is a potassium WASTING drug
    Candesartan is a potassium RETAINING drug

Hopefully, you'll break even and your potassium levels will not fluctuate too much. It won't hurt to eat a potassium-rich diet. Have regular labs done, especially the electrolytes. You have to keep an eye on them.

The expected side effect of Lasix on most people is an increased urination. If that does not happen, and you find yourself going less often or not at all, tell your doctor. Make sure to replenish the lost fluid and sodium to avoid dehydration. Keep an eye on your blood pressure readings to avoid excessive drops in blood pressure. Our doctors are supposed to DECREASE the doses of other bp meds when they start their patients on Lasix. Mine didn't. Luckily (or unluckily, depending how you look at it ), nothing happened.
    Reduce your alcohol consumption and salt intake-keeping in mind you need SOME sodium daily,especialy while on Lasix. Just don't go overboard with either! Either of these could be keeping your blood pressure elevated, making it difficult to control.

I am wondering why your hypertension seems to be resisting treatment. The most frequent causes people can't get their blood pressure controlled with medication are non-compliance and not adopting the diet and other recommended lifestyle changes.

I hope this helps at least a little bit. I too have resistant hypertension and control it with five-six drugs. It took a while to figure out the best possible combinations and dosages. Several doctors seem to think my therapy is suboptimal and that there is a lot of room for improvement. (=fewer drugs in more effective dosages/combos). But it appears no one is willing to take the leap and make changes to it. Oh well.

good luck,
    flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-14-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
    Megan51
    Inactive
    (female)

Megan51 HB User

May I kindly suggest you read my suggestions to the gal under topic titled, Lowering BP without drugs. I have found help. <removed> DID YOU KNOW THAT BP MEDICATION CAUSES, I said CAUSES Congestive Heart Failure? It does. It is a fact and can be read in many medical articles. My mother has been on BP meds for 30 years and she is slowly dying of this horrendous disease. So did my dear father-in-law. Same story. Do take care.
    Megan51

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-14-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #7
    huskie
    (female)

huskie HB User

Thanks for the replies.I have gained some interesting and useful advice.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Megan51 View Post
    ... DID YOU KNOW THAT BP MEDICATION CAUSES, I said CAUSES Congestive Heart Failure? It does. It is a fact and can be read in many medical articles. ... Megan51
    I've been struggling with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) for over twenty years and I'm close to 70 years old, and doing quite well. The blood pressure medications (AceIs,CCBs,BBs,etc), which have been wonderful medical breakthroughs have saved and improved the lives of many CHF sufferers like me. It's primarily because of these medications that CHFers are living longer and are more able to stay out of the hospital.

These medications target, and try to calm, the overactive and overreactive immune reactions which worsen CHF.

I'm now on Coreg, a Beta Blocker. I love how it keeps my blood pressure down, and helps to slow my heartbeat down to a reasonable pace.

If these medications did, indeed, cause CHF, lawyers would be lining up knee deep to sue the drug companies, as they have for other drugs that have caused serious or life threatening health problems.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-15-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Closed Thread