It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Diovan cost recently increased

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
    tfkeel
    Veteran
    (male)

tfkeel HB User
    Diovan cost recently increased

in my insurance plan, Diovan has become very expensive for some reason that is unknown to me.

I am currently taking

Diovan 160mg daily
    HCTZ 50 mg daily
    Metoprolol Tartrate 100mg twice daily
    Clonidine .1 mg 3x daily

Is there a way, or does anyone have a suggestion how I might replace Diovan in the regimen with a generic drug, or more of the others?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Diovan cost recently increased

From what I've read, the Ace Inhibitors are just as effective as the ARBs. What do you think about switching to an ACE-I like Quinapril, a generic for Accupril.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Valsartan is the generic for Diovan. I used it in the past and had no problems.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

Unfortunately there is no generic available for any of the ARB's like Diovan until at least 2011. Don't I wish.

If you haven't tried an ACE inhibitor (lisinopril type) before, give it a shot. Very cheap and very effective if you don't get the dreaded ACE-cough (20+% do...and it's not something you can live with). I got the cough. Made me very sad as the ACE-inhibitor I was on worked like a charm for my BP in ways that betas couldn't.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:40 AM   #5
    tfkeel
    Veteran
    (male)

tfkeel HB User

I was on Altace and that worked well, too. But I got an episode where my windpipe was blocking off. It is too bad that these have this nasty side-effect.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

My cleaning lady (no health insurance) also went through lots of meds trying to find one that worked. It was an ACE. She talked to me how she kept waking up in the middle of the night with a horrific cough that she couldn't stop. Took her breath away.

So she only had two options: 1) Pay $100 a month for an ARB she can't afford, or 2) Go unmedicated because the ACE side effects were so horrible.

Unfortunately she had to choose 2). I can't wait for ARB's to go generic.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #7
    tfkeel
    Veteran
    (male)

tfkeel HB User

I was wondering about Norvasc.... I understand that patent ran out last year....

anyone use Amlodipine?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Amlodipine is being marketed as Norvasc in North America. I am not too sure about the patent rights, but here in Canada we still pay through our ears for it. I pay $89.52 for it every month (this includes taxes).

Not everyone would be willing to tolerate its side effects. They can be much more unpleasant for some people than those of Diovan, notably: headache, peripheral edema AND cardiological adverse reactions. However, most of these are dose-dependent (as are the therapeutic effects), so lower doses might be OK. The average reduction in blood pressure with the once-daily dosing is about 12/6mmHg.

I find Norvasc has fewer cardiological side effects than my former CCB, Felodipine. The peripheral edema is about the same. A big pain in the....legs.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-30-2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typos

Closed Thread