It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Very Healthy and Athletic, but high pulse and pressure?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
    JamesR1989
    (male)

JamesR1989 HB User
    Very Healthy and Athletic, but high pulse and pressure?

We had a fitness assessment in one of my college courses today and I was surprised at the results.

I had 35cm flexibility, around 60lb grip test, 4-6% body fat with 20.6BMI

147lb
    5'11
    18yr.s old

52 pushups

but then my blood pressure was around 158/94
    second was around 156/90

pulse was 117-109 at rest(in the morning its around 102-105)
    after 3 minute step test it was over 160

I enjoy doing 5k runs, and run everyday. and about 3 times a week i do a 2-3mile jog. I swim very often. and am always riding my bike or walking to classes.

I would think this would cause my heart to be stronger, and have a much lower pulse rate.

I have had blood tests and my thyroid is normal.

My body is also always radiating heat. my temperature is generally always between 98.6-99 when i check, but by touch my body feels feverish to anyone else.

And just recently I have been having a lack of appetite problem.

I always eat a large breakfast, then about 3-4 medium meals a day, but lately I have barely been able to get about 2-3 small meals.

Yet I still can run constantly with little fatigue. I drink water constantly, always have a water bottle by my side. and I try to avoid junk food.

So why would I have such a high pulse/blood pressure. I assumed pressure might be hereditary but everyone else in my family has normal pulse rates of around 75-80. and do much less exercising than me.

The Following User Says Thank You to JamesR1989 For This Useful Post:
    hojo234 (08-13-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Very Healthy and Athletic, but high pulse and pressure?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesR1989 View Post
    We had a fitness assessment in one of my college courses today and I was surprised at the results.

I had 35cm flexibility, around 60lb grip test, 4-6% body fat with 20.6BMI

147lb
    5'11
    18yr.s old

52 pushups

but then my blood pressure was around 158/94
    second was around 156/90
    How did your blood pressure and pulse rate compare to the other students?

Quote:
    pulse was 117-109 at rest(in the morning its around 102-105)
    after 3 minute step test it was over 160

I enjoy doing 5k runs, and run everyday. and about 3 times a week i do a 2-3mile jog. I swim very often. and am always riding my bike or walking to classes.

I would think this would cause my heart to be stronger, and have a much lower pulse rate.
    Having a high pulse rate and high blood pressure is not necessarily a sign of a weak heart or a strong heart. The normal cause is a hormonal imbalance, caused by a previous flu or infection, diet too high in carbs, allergies, heredity, or autoimmune disease.

Quote:
    My body is also always radiating heat. my temperature is generally always between 98.6-99 when i check, but by touch my body feels feverish to anyone else.

And just recently I have been having a lack of appetite problem.

I always eat a large breakfast, then about 3-4 medium meals a day, but lately I have barely been able to get about 2-3 small meals.

Yet I still can run constantly with little fatigue. I drink water constantly, always have a water bottle by my side. and I try to avoid junk food.
    During hormonal imbalance, there is an overproduction of hormones, which could be causing your "heat" problems. Increases in hormone levels can make the body feel very warm. There are over 300 different hormones in our bodies, so diagnosis can be quite complex.

Have you had your blood sugar tested? Do you get very sleepy after eating? Does diabetes run in your family?

Have you had a recent illness, or infection? Any big, recent changes in your life.

How long have you been having a rapid heartbeat?

Is this over-heating a recent problem?

Quote:
    MY skin is incredibly stretchy. Reminds me of a cat or such. I can pull the skin on my wrist about half an inch. all of my skin stretches abnormally more than any of my friends.
    Your skin problem could also be related to your over-heating. I did a little research into stretchy or loose or rubbery, etc., skin and found that there is a multitude of possibilities. I was looking for a tie-in between your blood pressure and heart rate problems, your over-heating problems, and your skin problem. You need to choose a simpler combination of problems! (Just kidding)

Quote:
    So why would I have such a high pulse/blood pressure. I assumed pressure might be hereditary but everyone else in my family has normal pulse rates of around 75-80. and do much less exercising than me.
    Have you been able to relate any activity or event to a worsening of symptoms? In other words, if you are around someone who smokes, does your heart race faster or harder? How about cats, dust, ink, books, or when you go outside versus when you stay inside. How about when you go to bed? Does your pulse rate increase more at night?

I am just a fellow patient, so I am just throwing some ideas your way.

Best of luck resolving your problems. And...... I admire your efforts at eating a healthy diet and keeping yourself fit through exercise. Nice going!

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 08-28-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
    JamesR1989
    (male)

JamesR1989 HB User

Quote:
    How did your blood pressure and pulse rate compare to the other students?
    I was incredibly high compared to the other students. The second highest pulse was around 90. and no one was even close to my blood pressure. I even tried a few different machines to make sure it wasn't just the machine.

Quote:
    During hormonal imbalance, there is an overproduction of hormones, which could be causing your "heat" problems. Increases in hormone levels can make the body feel very warm. There are over 300 different hormones in our bodies, so diagnosis can be quite complex.

Have you had your blood sugar tested? Do you get very sleepy after eating? Does diabetes run in your family?

Have you had a recent illness, or infection? Any big, recent changes in your life.

How long have you been having a rapid heartbeat?

Is this over-heating a recent problem?
    Yes, my blood sugar is normal. Though I do tend to get very light headed when I give blood. I am AB negative is there is any relation there.

I do not get sleepy after eating. And no I there isn't anyone in my family with diabetes.

I havn't been sick for at least a couple months now. And No serious changes except maybe starting college a few weeks ago.

I have always had a rapid heart beat from what I recall. It has always been near or over 100, but doctors always thought it might be because i was nervous when I was at the doctor's office, now i am thinking otherwise.

No, overheating is not a recent problem. But that actually doesn't bother me at all, I just thought there might be a tie in.

Quote:
    Have you been able to relate any activity or event to a worsening of symptoms? In other words, if you are around someone who smokes, does your heart race faster or harder? How about cats, dust, ink, books, or when you go outside versus when you stay inside. How about when you go to bed? Does your pulse rate increase more at night?
    Nope nothing in those categories to relate. I am constantly near cats or dust or ink or books. outside and inside. And yet when I am not near any of those I have a rapid pulse.

I can actually "slow" my heartbeat when I go to bed in a manner of speaking. I've learned that controlling my breathing helps me go to sleep better. Which slows my heartbeat by a few beats. But still no huge difference.

Oh and I have none of the diseases you mentioned.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
    JamesR1989
    (male)

JamesR1989 HB User

I just checked my pulse twice after waking up and it is between 90-95bpm

Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

The same overproduction of hormones, such as from the adrenal glands, will cause both fast heart rate and high blood pressure. The search for the cause of why your body is overproducing these hormones, can be very complex, can be very costly and can be very frustrating.

If you can find and remove the cause(s) of the overproduction of hormones, then you are home free without medication. If you can't find out what is causing your problems, then you are faced with having to take medication to reduce your blood pressure and slow down your heart rate.

The medications come with all kinds of side effects. For instance, Beta Blockers attempt to block the over production of hormones coming from the Adrenals. But....... what do you think happens to your energy when your adrenals functions are reduced or blocked? Adrenalin is what gets pumped when your body requires extra energy. Some of the side effects, of not only Beta Blockers, but ALL of the hormone blocking heart medications, is "Tiredness", "Lack of energy","Light Headedness", etc.

So...... if you are going to have to take a medication to slow down your heart, and to reduce your blood pressure, you might consider thinking about taking a minimum dose for a few weeks to see how well a small dose works. I am on 3.125mg of the Beta Blocker, Coreg, once per day, which is one half of the minimum Coreg dosage, and it works very well, for me, so taking a small dosage is possible. It is also dirt cheap, at $10 for a three months supply, without insurance. I am not saying that Coreg is for you, I am just discussing.

I asked you questions about events, or irritants, such as cats, dust, smoke, etc., that could be part of your problem. Something, either internal to your body, or external, or both, is causing this overproduction of hormones. It is a very complex process. Your contact with "cats or dust or ink or books", etc, or anything in your diet, could be part of your problem.

It took me over ten years of removing things from my environment, diet and lifestyle, before I got my blood pressure and heart rate under much better control, and I also suffer from heart failure and Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, which added further complications to my health mysteries. I used to be on about ten different medications. I am now on only 1/2 the minimal dose of Coreg, and a small dose of Digoxin to treat my heart failure, heart rhythm and blood pressure problems.

You had said that you hadn't been sick for a couple of months. Did you have the flu? A bad cold? Did your heart rate, or blood pressure problems seem to be worse after you got better? The reason I ask because I am looking for a trigger..... something that might have caused damage to your immune system, causing an imbalance in hormones.

Quote:
    I have always had a rapid heart beat from what I recall. It has always been near or over 100, but doctors always thought it might be because i was nervous when I was at the doctor's office, now i am thinking otherwise.
    Doctor's when they can't figure out what is going on, blame the patient. In other words, it is YOUR fault because you are nervous, or tense, or have anxiety, etc. It allows them to charge big fees for very little in return. If you look up the cause of High Blood Pressure, you will find out that medical science does not know what usually causes High Blood Pressure. But, yet, the doctors tell you that it is your nerves or anxiety that causes yours. What a bunch of bull!

Since you have had this problem for a long time, then my search for a recent trigger, or cause, might not be valid. Even if you found what caused your immune system to become over-active, it wouldn't really matter. You've either got to find out the triggers which cause your immune system to over-activate, or take medications, like Beta Blockers, Calcium Channel Blockers, Ace Inhibitors, Angiotensin Inhibitors, Renin Inhibitors, etc., to block or inhibit your immune system.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily

Last edited by Machaon; 08-28-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
    Sandra49
    (female)

Sandra49 HB User

Have you latley been eating a lot of pizza, chinese food, frozen dinner or popcorn in microwave or any other foods high in sodium? Did you have a physical before you entered college?

Last edited by Sandra49; 08-28-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
    Deucey Deuce
    (male)

Deucey Deuce HB User

Have you had an echocardiogram done? Although you have a healthy lifestyle things can still happen. Your heart rate should not be that high, ESPECIALLY if you are running like you are. My guess..just a guess..is that it is possible that the walls of your heart are thinkening. Your heart chambers need to fill with a certain amount of blood each beat. If the wall chambers are too thick..well, I think you see where this could be a problem. This indeed would cause high blood pressure and maybe cause your heart to have to beat faster to make up for the smaller chamber space in the heart. OR your heart function could be getting weak itself. Find out what your EJECTION FRACTION is. It should be well above 50..should be above 60 in your case.. So get an Eccho from a GOOD cardiologist just to be sure. DO NOT talk to a regular practitioner. That would be a big mistake in this case. __ What you can do for now is LOWER YOUR SODIUM INTAKE to under 3,000 mg a day. That's being easy on you. I stay around 1,000. The reason I know all of this is because I beat heart failure. I went from heart transplant list back to full function. Not many people can make that claim...(and no I'm not 80.. I'm not even 40) Good luck.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

First off, I want to apologize to the other posters as I haven't taken the time to read the lengthy replies...but did want to dash this note off...I promise to read the other responses when I have more time.

When I saw the words "healthy athlete", the first thing that came to my mind was electrolytes...athletes can deplete their natural sources of potassium, magnesium, and calcium and this depletion can elevate blood pressure and impact the heart's rhythms/rates! And deficiencies in these areas can become serious enough to cause sudden death.

Drinking lots of water can act like a diuretic, which means that it has the potential for flushing too many of these needed minerals out of the body.

I would suggest doing some reading on electrolyte imbalances....potassium, magnesium, and calcium. I suspect your problems may be related.

Bethsheba

Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

I, too just scanned the posts. But had to post about the heat issue. I have the same thing except my temp is low 95-97 even though I am hot all the time & don't sweat much at all. Do you sweat especially when exercising? Some of us don't have as many sweat glands & there is a disease called Fabry which has this symptom amoung other more serious. Make sure you keep cool by drinking, spray water on yourself, wear a wet towel around your neck etc. There are those ice vests too that have made the headlines this summer. You don't want to get heat stroke.

Are you sure your b/p monitor is accurate & you are taking it correctly? Fam

Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 AM   #10
    JamesR1989
    (male)

JamesR1989 HB User

Yes, I sweat quite constantly. I also drink water very frequently.

And yes the monitor was correct. I also had my teacher double check I was using it correctly. I tried multiple monitors. I have also used the tester at Publix with same results.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
    mmee
    Veteran
    (female)

mmee HB User

I hope that you don't mind me chiming in here. I just wanted to let you know that I too suffer from a high pulse. It started 18 months ago for me. I am now on inderal, but my pulse is still about 90 on a good day.
    I had the echo stress test and everything was fine. I wish you lots of luck.
    mmee

Closed Thread