It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Your experiences with HCTZ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
    brebre
    Inactive
    (female)

brebre HB User
    Your experiences with HCTZ

For all of you that has taken HCTZ, what has been your experiences taking this medication? I am trying to pinpoint which one of these meds are making me feel so bad.
    I take labetalol, norvasc and hctz.
    Also I eat no added salt, have any of you had problems with the HCTZ causing low salt problems. I know it causes low potassium.
    Thanks for the help,
    Bre

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Your experiences with HCTZ

brebre,

I could go into a lengthy discourse about all of the side effects I experienced on hct......but I think that before you look at meds causing your problems, I would suggest you look at your diet.

According to another post, you've dropped 50 pounds in 2 months and you have eliminated starches from you diet. Both of these actions can have extreme consequences with one's health, especially while taking the medications you do!! I would suggest talking to your doctor about getting a referral to a dietician so you can lose weight safely...then come back and tell us what problems you continue to have.

If you only change one thing at a time, it is easier to figure out what's going on...and given that what you're eating or what you're not eating can alter the effects of the medications, I would encourage you to eat healthy and safely before messing with meds.

Bethsheba

Old 08-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
    brebre
    Inactive
    (female)

brebre HB User

I really didnt think that 50lbs off 300 in two months is a lot? Especially with the drastic changes I made to my lifestyle. Is it? I asked because I get certain symptoms after I take these meds.
    Nuitritionists are not trained to treat people with insulin resistance. I went to one and that is partly the reason why I am in the shape I am in now. She advocated me eating pastas and baked potatoes, apples and oranges. Those foods are deadly for people like myself. I can only tolerate low glycemic foods such as berries, nuts or green, yellow, red vegetables. Heck even none of my doctors know about it.
    I do know if my good nutrition is hurting me, then certainly these toxic meds in my body is killing me!
    In fact I read that losing 25 lbs off 300 in one month is average. I will gladly give up the meds for my weight loss.

Bre

Last edited by brebre; 08-31-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Bre,

First off, I gained over 35 pounds on medication, which must have played a role in elevating my pressures in the 3-4 years I was on medication. Secondly, medication side effects temporarily crippled me mentally and physically, and in some cases caused excruciating pain. Thirdly, a side effect of the 4th medication I was on almost killed me. So Bre, I was very eager to give up my meds, too...but not at the risk of my health!

A safe weight loss is 2 to 2.5 pounds per week or about 10 pounds per month. Anything more than that can be dangerious because it is extemely difficult for the body to get the necessary nutrients otherwise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brebre View Post
    ...Nuitritionists are not trained to treat people with insulin resistance. I went to one and that is partly the reason why I am in the shape I am in now. She advocated me eating pastas and baked potatoes, apples and oranges. Those foods are deadly for people like myself. I can only tolerate low glycemic foods such as berries, nuts or green, yellow, red vegetables. Heck even none of my doctors know about it.
    Bre, doctors "may" be required to take a nutrition class in med school, but nutritionists study nutrition for 4-6 years depending on whether or not they go to grad school. If anyone would know about the body's nutritional needs (and drug interactions) it would be a nutritionist! If you didn't like the nutrionist you saw, make arrangements to see different one. Nutritionists are like doctors...half of them graduated at the top of their class, the other half graduated at the bottom of their class...

And finally, although the meds may be causing your fatigue, the primary cause, I suspect, is the fact that you are not eating carbohydrates/starches as these are necessary for energy and many other things.

Take care, Bre...and beware....there are things worse than hypertension and obesity.

Bethsheba

Old 08-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
    brebre
    Inactive
    (female)

brebre HB User

Thanks Beth, I will take heed and thanks for your concern.
    Bre

Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brebre View Post
    I really didnt think that 50lbs off 300 in two months is a lot?
    I read Bethsheba's caution regarding losing weight too fast, and her point is a good one. Bethsheba always comes up with good info.

I had also been concerned about losing weight too fast. My weight loss was quite rapid after going on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance, same as you. I documented my rapid weight loss in a thread that I started in January, 2004, over four years ago, titled: "Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?"

I started the thread when I first started the diet, before I learned about the tremendous health benefits of a diet targeting Insulin Resistance. Here is the link to the thread:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url]

I wondered at the time, if my weight loss was too fast, but since I was feeling so much better, and I was experiencing improving symptoms, and I didn't know what else to do, I just stayed on the diet.

Quote:
    Nuitritionists are not trained to treat people with insulin resistance. I went to one and that is partly the reason why I am in the shape I am in now. She advocated me eating pastas and baked potatoes, apples and oranges. Those foods are deadly for people like myself. I can only tolerate low glycemic foods such as berries, nuts or green, yellow, red vegetables. Heck even none of my doctors know about it.
    Our medical system is getting worse each year, as those who would make good doctors, go into other better paying, and less demanding occupations.

I don't trust most doctors, or car mechanics. In fact, I would much rather go to a skilled nurse than a doctor!

Quote:
    For all of you that has taken HCTZ, what has been your experiences taking this medication?
    I've never taken HCTZ, but I did take Lasix (Furosemide) for many years. I couldn't take much of it or it would either give me very painful joints, breathing difficulties or heart rhythm problems. I stopped taking diuretics because, with heart failure and atrial fibrillation, I am at more risk of stroke; and because I believe that diuretics cause problems for those with Insulin Resistance or Diabetes.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 09-01-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Corrected the last paragraph of my post.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Bre,

HCTZ was the last b/p drug I tried & the best as far as side effects go. I read & read before going it. I had to get it made up without the dye however because I had a allergic reaction to it according to my Dr. The allergist however said it was a hypersentive reaction. It does have potential long term side effects like kidney damage. Then there is the gout issue. I drink 10 glasses of some kind of fluid during the day to prevent gout plus do the dietary stuff. Then I have about 1/2 tsp of salt a day to prevent low sodium especially with all the fluid intake. Taking care of me is a full time job . I wrote a list of my favorite foods & the potassium content of each. I make sure I get the daily requirement.

On the other hand my rash of two yrs may be caused by HCTZ. Can't have everything as in lowered b/p & a free ride on the side effect issue. Oh, well. Fam

Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

On the weight issue, at your weight level you could probably lose a little more than 2 lbs a week. When you are losing too fast, you lose muscle in addition to fat. Remember the heart is a muscle; don't want to lose any of that. Then there is the wrinkle issue-losing slower allows the body to adjust easier. Dr. Dean says the body just can only lose so much fat at a time, then it turns to losing muscle.

Gallbladder issues are a real problem too with losing fast. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionalist so you have to be sure he or she has the education/experience behind it.

I likr Dr. Dean & or Dr. Laura's way of losing weight. Just eat the appropriate calories for one's body weight deleting enough calories in order to lose. Choose a balanced diet. Anything is allowed but the red light foods that you find impossible to limit. For example, I don't have my favorite ice cream in the house. But I do have a ice cream cone or sundae once every week or two at MacDonalds. I think of it similar to how I manage my money. I don't splurge everyday but do so when it is appropriate. That way one doesn't get to feeling deprived. Another plus is that you end up with a plan that you can follow the rest of your life. Fam

Old 09-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

HTCZ was not for me. Made my blood pressure go up. Blood test revealed why. Just about every metric was at the very low end of normal, especially sodium. Yet I'm a salt-aholic. I drink lots of water and always have. I'm about 20lbs overweight (but I'm a 5' tall female).

So the HTCZ for me was really bad. Leached out what little I had left.

Again, your experience may vary.

Closed Thread