It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• vitamins and high blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
    llama4u447
    (female)

llama4u447 HB User
    vitamins and high blood pressure

Has anyone here ever lowered their blood pressure with a multivitamin? I ask because my blood pressure is starting to creep back up and I want to take care of it before it gets high again. Its been below 140/90 most times but still hovers at or slightly above 120/80. I keep reading that certain minerals help and since I don't already take vitamins maybe by adding them it could be the extra little push I need to get my BP back to normal. Anyone have any experience with this? I've gone on a diet and started exercising again to help. Oh yeah my blood pressure really seems to go up with I eat out which I've been doing a lot until I started taking my blood pressure regularly again. I've aslo noticed that I can add as much salt to my food as I want at home and it has little to no effect but when I eat something from like taco bell it goes up even though its a 'sensible' choice. Maybe its the MSG?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
    RalphIII
    (male)

RalphIII HB User
    Re: vitamins and high blood pressure

Hello llama,

Well, this is the reason I joined the site and hope some insight can be offered.

My blood pressure has always been border line high or high, 148/94, and now that I am older wish to address it as per doctor orders.

I want to do it naturally also as I have never taken drugs and the side affects are a major concern. I was recently put on Micardis but had to increase the dosage from 40 mg to 80 mg as no results were gained.

I also have higher levels of Cholesterol 150 LDL. Sorry, I forgot to get my total cholesterol levels as all tests were recently done. They want me to get it below 100 LDL as my family has a history of heart decease. This is the recommended level with a family history as otherwise anything under 130 (LDL) is acceptable.

I am concentrating on lowering the Cholesterol naturally right now. I will address the blood pressure after my Micardis samples run out and in lieu of its benefits. The Micardis seems to have minimal listed side effects, I have noticed none, and my dosage is middle of the road.

Hight cholesterol and high blood pressure is not a good combination so be aware of yours.

Anyhow, to address your question. Garlic and Fish oils (Omega 3's with DHA) have been shown to lower blood pressure. They can act to thin your blood however so be aware of that.

The Omega 3's also have many other benefits, such as lowering cholesterol. Choose a high quality one though in order to avoid impurities and chemicals. The best I have found which I will be ordering from is offered by "xtendlife".

Plant sterols/stanols have also been shown to lower cholesterol significantly. I just ordered several months supply of EP Phytosterols.

There are many companies offering this with various added supplements but I wanted to keep it simple. A lowering of Beta Carotene has been shown with the Omega 3's but there is no data that suggests this is bad, as I have read.

Many agencies, as the American Heart Association and the FDA, recognize and recommend a certain amount of Omega 3's and plant sterols because of the noted benefits.

I hope others on this board will be able to add more insight.

take care

Last edited by moderator2; 09-05-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Closed Thread