It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Side Effects from Bystolic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
    jamie007
    (female)

jamie007 HB Userjamie007 HB User
    Re: Leg Swelling and tingling when taking Amlodipine

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ACE28 View Post
    Jaimie - Keep in mind, this thread goes back to 2008. This is just about when Bystolic was approved in the U.S As I mentioned, I switched several medications since then, but I always seem to return to Bystolic. I also mentioned that glucose and cholesterol were slightly increased in the beginning and some fatigue and joint pain (like many medications) can occur in the early months. Many other medications appeared to be worse on my digestive track, Bystolic was not. Other medications started off OK, and then appeared to get worse with time, Bystolic seems to be the opposite (for me anyway). Side effects started early then improved, until I adjusted. Then my cholesterol dropped to normal, Glucose lowered, CRP (inflammation) dropped to 0.16 (which is excellent) and all my other blood levels are perfectly normal. After another try with Bystolic for several months, sexual function and slight weight gain returned to normal again. Other medications worsened all these areas after a some months. I understand your confusion, my doctor tried me on different medicaitions and beta blockers at that time. He also prefers Toprol XL to almost any other medication. Perhaps the switching also added to more side effects and confusion. I also try to stay at 5 mg. a day or less. At higher doses I'm sure side effects will start again.
    Thank you ACe for clarifying all that. You know I think to this day that between the propranolol and Metoprolol that that caused me to gain a good 30 pounds and get the prediabetes, or at least it caused the weight gain thus causing the prediabetes. I am on my way down with all of that though and am so glad to be off Metorpolol though through all of this i've actually considered going back to old famililar but it gives me trouble at 25 mgs which is what i need for bp. I've felt so spacey on it and too when I take inderal and the dose wears off i feel like i've come down from a high but i didnt feel high if that makes sense. i guess i will have to wait till friday to start my minute dose because i want my husband home when i take it and he comes home to late in the evening and i take thyroid pill at ten at night. I'm going to take this in the evening about 6 or 7 hopefully on a regular basis because I get early monring high bp and anxiety which triggers the high blood pressure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Bystolic will reverse the glucose problem and not be such a problem with weight gain. Some have lost weight with Bystolic. The side effects I most often hear from different boards is some shortness of breath in the beginning (This is usually mild) and some complain about hair loss. Is this definitely related to the drug?? Who really knows. Most beta blockers have a tendency to cause a slight glucose increase and some weight gain. Bystolic is more neutral in this regard. If Bystolic is not right for you, there are other beta blockers. Some do great on Atenolol or Nadolol. The more lipophilic beta blockers such as Metoprolol, Propranol, Betaxolol and even Bystolic are supposed to be the best for anxiety related issues. Betaxolol and Propranol have actually been researched in the areas of anxiety and psychiatry.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Thank you ACe for clarifying all that. You know I think to this day that between the propranolol and Metoprolol that that caused me to gain a good 30 pounds and get the prediabetes, or at least it caused the weight gain thus causing the prediabetes. I am on my way down with all of that though and am so glad to be off Metorpolol though through all of this i've actually considered going back to old famililar but it gives me trouble at 25 mgs which is what i need for bp. I've felt so spacey on it and too when I take inderal and the dose wears off i feel like i've come down from a high but i didnt feel high if that makes sense. i guess i will have to wait till friday to start my minute dose because i want my husband home when i take it and he comes home to late in the evening and i take thyroid pill at ten at night. I'm going to take this in the evening about 6 or 7 hopefully on a regular basis because I get early monring high bp and anxiety which triggers the high blood pressure.
    Jamie - FYI - You mentioned Inderal wears off. Their is a new formula called Inderal LA which is an extended release formula which does not wear off and lasts 24 hours. Maybe you can ask your doctor to prescribe this..

Old 04-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #19
    jamie007
    (female)

Quote:
    Jamie - FYI - You mentioned Inderal wears off. Their is a new formula called Inderal LA which is an extended release formula which does not wear off and lasts 24 hours. Maybe you can ask your doctor to prescribe this..
    Thank you ACE for that info. I've been on Inderal LA before I went over to Metoprolol. The dose is too high and I believe between the Inderal LA and the Metoprolol is what caused this weight gain thus the prediabetes. I so wish they would make it a lower dose like 10 or 20 mgs in the LA then maybe that would be perfect. I was reading about the shortness of breath and I get that with inderal even on 10 to 20 mgs. Not all the time but some times i do get it and it seems to correlate with taking inderal but also I've noticed it when I take valium too and I only take 2.5 mgs of valium at a time and not very often. Thanks so much for you help!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
    PateSimon
    (female)

PateSimon HB User
    Re: Side Effects from Bystolic?

I have been on Bystolic for about 4 months and have had great results with my numbers. I have had bouts of exhaustion to the point of having to pull over on the roadside to sleep so I would not crash. I also experienced hip pain/burning/weakness. I have not heard of this side effect in any post and was wondering if anyone may have experienced this. I had some relief from a chiropractor and switched to taking it in AM rather than PM. Anyone else having the hip problem?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #21
    jamie007
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PateSimon View Post
    I have been on Bystolic for about 4 months and have had great results with my numbers. I have had bouts of exhaustion to the point of having to pull over on the roadside to sleep so I would not crash. I also experienced hip pain/burning/weakness. I have not heard of this side effect in any post and was wondering if anyone may have experienced this. I had some relief from a chiropractor and switched to taking it in AM rather than PM. Anyone else having the hip problem?
    patesimon: funny you mentioned the hip pain as I have had an odd assortment of pains but never contributed it to bystolic but maybe now you are on to something! I have right hip pain alot that i've never had before, ever! it almost feels like my hip is disconnected from the socket and makes it feel like my balance is off. I've been off bystolic now for 4 days I think and i've not noticed much difference yet for the positive except my energy level seems to be slowly coming back! today for instance, i've been roaming around the house and doing things and running errands, most days I am either sitting here on computer or sitting on couch watching tv. ALL DAY! that is just not me! I've also gained some weight and had a lot of bloating, bloating seems to of gotten better unless I slam down pop then I am like a beached whale! Unfortunately the withdrawl has been getting to me again. right now my pulse is 106 just sitting here. I still have shortness of breath and am seeing a cardiologist for that in august, so not sure that is bystolic related. I'm not by any means trying to trash bystolic, it definitely helped my blood pressure but I was just not feelingwell on it or maybe it is me because I am still not feeling a whole lot better except some more energy and clearer thinking too I think, lol. I've been steadily gaining weight as well and did not change eating at all, so not sure what is going on with that...time will tell on that if it goes down a bit..How much are you taking?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #22
    jamie007
    (female)

Quote:
    patesimon: p.s. from jamie007. Not sure what kind of burning you are talking about but i've had lately these odd burning sensations on various parts of my body. they are about the size of a half dollar, burn for about 5 to 10 seconds and then leave. I've never felt such weirdness. I get them on my legs, arms, back, thighs and even on my fingers and toes. They are not hot to the touch, they do not really hurt but definitely feel the burn, like someone is holding a match to my skin..is that anything that you are talking about?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
    PateSimon
    (female)

PateSimon HB User

jamie007 - Thanks for your post. It took about 3 months for my hip pain to get really bad so it might take longer than 4 days to reverse the effect. Give it more time and I bet you will feel better. I have had a little weight gain also. I attributed it to my lack of energy (= lack of movement lol). I havent talked to my MD yet but hopefully there is some other medication I can take to replace the Bystolic. I have had trouble with 3-4 other bp meds so I dont hold out much hope. My hip almost feels like it wont support me. Especially going up stairs. After the chiro I felt quite a bit better but I cant afford to be going every week! I will post again after I talk to my md.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #24
    PateSimon
    (female)

PateSimon HB User

I only have them in my hips and they are about quarter size but they burn for hours not minutes right in the joint.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I think Bystolic side effects can be very subtle, but I believe it has the potential to cause some lasting side effects. I developed joint pain in my right knee and my right foot has also been very tender and sore. This started very recently. I know that Bystolic has definitely caused a pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet, I'm just concerned about potential nerve damage. I will be seeing my doctor next week and I will discuss this with him.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #26
    jamie007
    (female)

Quote:
    I think Bystolic side effects can be very subtle, but I believe it has the potential to cause some lasting side effects. I developed joint pain in my right knee and my right foot has also been very tender and sore. This started very recently. I know that Bystolic has definitely caused a pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet, I'm just concerned about potential nerve damage. I will be seeing my doctor next week and I will discuss this with him.
    Its so hard to disquished between side effects of meds and other things after being on a med after a while. I'm feeling soooo much better being off beta blockers, but i've got to admit i'm so ******* tired! I was taking hctz too 12.5 mgs and I swear it was/is causing hot flashes and racing heart! today I didnt take hctz and I have no flashes and no racing heart. Yesterday I did end up having a tachycarida attack, darnit, that lasted a good 20 mns with heart rate up to 184 average. It takes a while to get it down and back to normal because what happens is the valve gets stuck and races like crazy...beta blockers prevent that. also had some adrenaline rushes especially in the early a.m. I'm hoping this lag in energy is just things coming out of my system cause if its not t hen I dont know what it is..

Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #27
    mareastrum
    (female)

mareastrum HB User

I've been taking Bystolic for about 6 months now after being a zombie on Toporol. I was encouraged by my manager to find a different drug because it was affecting my quality of work. The only problem I have is that my prescription coverage prefers that I have generics of drugs rather than brand name. So a 90 day refill costs me $50 every time I fill it.

Someone mentioned the difficulty of splitting the pill. I found the pill splitters CVS sells to be the most effective. The Safety Shield ones are more triangular and do a good job of splitting the pill evenly.

I'm currently talking 2.5mg daily (1/2 of of a 5mg pill). Taking it this way means I have a 6 months supply rather than a 3 month supply.

I'm glad I'm on Bystolic. It works better and I have more energy. The only side effect I've noticed is the paratheisa (tingling), but it tends to be something that's manageable.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
    PateSimon
    (female)

PateSimon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    patesimon: p.s. from jamie007. Not sure what kind of burning you are talking about but i've had lately these odd burning sensations on various parts of my body. they are about the size of a half dollar, burn for about 5 to 10 seconds and then leave. I've never felt such weirdness. I get them on my legs, arms, back, thighs and even on my fingers and toes. They are not hot to the touch, they do not really hurt but definitely feel the burn, like someone is holding a match to my skin..is that anything that you are talking about?
    Jamie007. The burning is not wide spread. It just happened in my hip joints. Although my Dr claimed this was not a side effect of the Bystolic she agreed to cut my dose. I am at 5mgs(?) down from 10. The hip weakness has almost all but disappeared although I still get some burning in the joint. The exhaustion is much better and my numbers are still stellar.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
    jamie007
    (female)

Quote:
    Jamie007. The burning is not wide spread. It just happened in my hip joints. Although my Dr claimed this was not a side effect of the Bystolic she agreed to cut my dose. I am at 5mgs(?) down from 10. The hip weakness has almost all but disappeared although I still get some burning in the joint. The exhaustion is much better and my numbers are still stellar.
    wow! I am soooo happy to hear this great news for you! I hope it continues to become "stellar" numbers for you! take care!

Closed Thread