It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• I get headaches with high B/P and MD doesn't believe me!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
    CoffyDrinker711
    (female)

CoffyDrinker711 HB User
    I get headaches with high B/P and MD doesn't believe me!!

Hello:

And help! A new MD (PMD) refuses to believe I can feel when my B/P goes up! When it's high (above 125 or so) I get headaches and nausea. When it's very high (over 140) my face gets numb. PMD says it's all my imagination and LOWERED my Lopressor (not good for me)- and added Norvasc. I've been on both of these drugs before and they don't wont well for me.
    I'm very careful about salt in my diet, exercise when my B/P is up and watch my weight.
    Does anyone else experience headaches or anything else when their B/P goes up?
    Does anyone (I realize we're not doctors here but we are all enlightened and educated about our healthcare) know the current guidelines for "good" B/P control?
    I'm suffering- my B/P is up and I'm miserable from it ...I'm going to change doctors because of this...
    Any help, advice, experiences would be very welcome!

CoffyDrinker (well, tea drinker now!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: I get headaches with high B/P and MD doesn't believe me!!

Norvasc caused horrible headaches in me. I've never gotten headaches from high b/p but another poster (FG) said she gets them. Fam

Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Coffeedrinker!

The good news is you can still enjoy a good cup of coffee. If I were you, I would not be changing my name to "teadrinker" just yet!
    I was hospitalized with malignant, drug resistant hypertension. Just before the discharge two weeks later I asked my hypertension doctor about drinking coffee. I fully expected to hear there would be no more coffee for me. You can imagine my surprise on learning that I could continue drinking coffee within reason. Any blood pressure elevations after a caffeine infusion are usually short-lived and not significant. I drink a lot less coffee and more green or black tea these days.

Blood pressure headaches are supposed to be uncommon. I read that they occur mostly in severe hypertension, and even then, only to a small percentage of people. I believe they can be seen in people with all stages of hypertension, but often go unrecognized as such. Like you, I know exactly when my blood pressure becomes elevated and do not need a blood pressure monitor to confirm it. When my blood pressure is high, my vision goes blurry. The base of my skull starts to hurt, as do my both of my carotid arteries and temples. The pain in the carotids and back of the head is excruciating. I usually start getting this headache when my blood pressure exceeds 150's/90's. It is mild at first, and increases in intensity with the blood pressure. I haven't had one in months, because my blood pressure has been stable and well controlled on the current drug regimen.

I often wonder if our doctors realize that the drugs they sometimes prescribe for us should not be co-administered. Beta blockers and CCBs do not make an ideal drug combination. There are some advantages to be gained by this drug combo in certain circumstances, though it is avoided by most doctors. You should ask your doctor if this particular drug combination is indicated. Perhaps his plan is to wean you off of the beta blocker. Unfortunately, there is a good chance that your Norvasc is going to increase the frequency of your headaches, as Fam pointed out. They are one if its main side effects and are dose-dependent. If your doctor's plan is to increase your Norvasc dose, based on your blood pressure response, and to eliminate the beta blocker, you might need a high dose of Norvasc to achieve a good blood pressure control. You probably know from your previous experience what that means. In my experience, all CCBs -the dihydropyridines- have similar side effects. Lopressor is used off-label to prevent migraine headaches, while Norvasc causes them in some people. Since you could not make these drugs work well for you in the past, why not try something different? See how it goes this time around. If things don't work out (again), talk to your doctor about trying a different class of antihypertensives. Good luck!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-28-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I am so sorry you have an ignorant doctor and a doctor that isn't willing to listen to their patients are really bad doctors. I am glad you are changing doctors because he is very wrong. I have heard many people feel the same way you do or have some other signs to know when their blood pressure goes high and you would think your doctor would be very happy to hear that you can tell so you can do something about it right away. Reminds me of goofy doctors I have had in the past...and what a waste of your time and money. Good luck with your new doctor. (You probably already know that Tea is higher in Caffeine than coffee).

Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
    stophypertensio
    (male)

stophypertensio HB User

generally speaking, first 2-3 months of me being on norvasc & labetalol, i felt very tired and needed to lay down a lot. now more than a half a year later i feel totally normal. i just need to take my meds with my meals and im alright.

but if im late to a dose, i get pounding headaches too.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
    aether4
    Veteran
    (female)

aether4 HB User

I've heard of people getting headaches from high blood pressure. I thought that was a common symptom. Also, I think it depends on how sensitive the person as to how high it needs to be to cause a headache. My mother in law gets them every time her blood pressure is elevated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    When my blood pressure is high, my vision goes blurry. The base of my skull starts to hurt, as do my both of my carotid arteries and temples. The pain in the carotids and back of the head is excruciating.
    I get this exact same type of pain from low blood pressure - though laying down (returning good blood flow to the brain) helps with mine.
    Any change in blood pressure that isn't healthy causes symptoms, including pain. This is how your body lets you know something is wrong. If the doctor can't understand this then its time to look for a new one, cause honestly that isn't a doctor I'd want treating me.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Aether,

I could not agree with you more. Our bodies let us know when things go wrong. None of the things I had tried over time relieved my head/neck aches. I had lived, worked and suffered with them for a few years. On several occassions when I was going out of my mind with pain and saw a doctor, they were "diagnosed" (from across the room and without any tests or blood pressure checks) as muscle inflammation. Of course, the antiinflammatories didn't help. What helped was a diagnosis of hypertension after several trips to the ER, bringing my blood pressure under control and the continuous use of blood pressure medication. How interesting to hear that people with low blood pressure get these headaches as well! When I was going through a hypotensive period (during an attempt to reduce my edema with and extra high dose of diuretics, in addition to the two I was already on) I was sick, dizzy and nauseous, but did not get the headache. The doctor treating my edema told me I'd have to endure it and keep taking the medication until the edema resolved. For me, having a low blood pressure was worse than having high blood pressure. The constant dizzines, and having to stay at home (not being able to work, walk or drive) were the worst part. I hope that most doctors routinely take their patients' blood pressure measurement. It should not have to be up to the patients to ask for it.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-29-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
    aether4
    Veteran
    (female)

aether4 HB User

I've never been in a doctors office that didn't take my heart rate and blood pressure.

Look up "coat hanger pain", it tends to be very common in those of us who have low blood pressure and/or orthostatic problems (some have high BP). But I wonder if those with high BP and no orthostatic problems get it, too.

It's basically a weird pain that rolls in waves up out of the shoulders an into the head. Similar to a spasm, but not quite the same pain. Some, like myself, can get relief from laying down but others don't and it comes along with a headache. Nothing gets rid of this pain short of correcting the blood pressure problem (or for some beta blockers).

There's also low BP and dehydration type headaches. Some reading I've done actually points towards those with high BP developing low blood volume (body gets confused by meds). When you have low blood volume you become dehydrated easier - the result can be a headache that won't respond to any meds.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Sunday's paper had some helpful home made hints. One was to try drinking at least 12 ounces of fluid when you get a headache because of the dehydration issue. Maybe that is why I'm not prone to headaches causes I am always sipping water or milk.

Fam

Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
    stophypertensio
    (male)

stophypertensio HB User

there are tons of things that cause headaches, not just dehydration

Old 10-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    There's also low BP and dehydration type headaches. Some reading I've done actually points towards those with high BP developing low blood volume (body gets confused by meds). When you have low blood volume you become dehydrated easier - the result can be a headache that won't respond to any meds
    How interesting! I have just been looking into the various circulating volume states and how they affect our bodies, kidneys and hormonal function. It can get pretty complicated. You are absolutely right. Our bodies get confused as they try to compensate for the effects of the drugs. I know mine is.

flowergirl

Old 10-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Stophypertension,

You are so right about the fact that the cause of headaches can be from many different reasons. Often though patients with HBP are on diuretics etc that cause a certain amount of dehydration. Fam

Old 12-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi coffydrinker!

Quote:
    And help! A new MD (PMD) refuses to believe I can feel when my B/P goes up! When it's high (above 125 or so) I get headaches and nausea. When it's very high (over 140) my face gets numb. PMD says it's all my imagination and LOWERED my Lopressor (not good for me)- and added Norvasc. I've been on both of these drugs before and they don't wont well for me.
    I'm very careful about salt in my diet, exercise when my B/P is up and watch my weight.
    Does anyone else experience headaches or anything else when their B/P goes up?
    While I was reading about the neurological effects of hypertension this morning in Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, I found this mention about an association between hypertension and headaches (non verbatim):

One of the EARLY, most noticable symptoms of hypertension are occipital headaches. (occipital refers to an area at the back of the head) Apparently, they occur most frequently in the morning, and are one of the manifestations of a central nervous system dysfunction (which occurs frequently in hypertensives). The other symptoms are dimmed vision, tinnitus, dizziness, light-headedness, vertigo and syncope. Then there are the really serious symptoms arising from hypertension's effects on the central nervous system - hemorrhage, vascular occlusion, and encephalopathy-which result in adverse events.

Some of our doctors don't seem willing to acknowledge the existence of blood pressure headaches. It would be interesting to find out why.

flowergirl

Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Wonder why some people get the headaches & others don't. My b/p was in the 200's & I never got them- in fact I feel good when my b/p is high. Mysteries.... Fam

Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
    cutiepye
    (female)

cutiepye HB User
    Exclamation Re: I get headaches with high B/P and MD doesn't believe me!!

I think that i am hypertensive i am always not feeling well i get nausea and headache but when i drink gatorade i feel better either i am dehydrated or i am hypertensive going to dr tommorrow to have my blood pressure checked

Closed Thread