It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• how concerning *is* a bp of 148/92 while at rest?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
    kensie22
    Inactive
    (female)

kensie22 HB User
    how concerning *is* a bp of 148/92 while at rest?

My husband never goes to doctors but we went the other day for a referral for a sleep study for him. He's 38, overweight, a nonsmoker who eats right but enjoys his beer a bit too much. His resting, un-stressed bp was 148/92 which I know is too high because when mine got over 140/90 while pregnant, they induced labor to force it down!

But the doctor gave him no medication, saying lets do the sleep study first (day after tomorrow) and then see what the results are.

So, I *know* this is too high, but is he risking anything in particular by walking around that way day after day all this time?

Sure sounds way too high to me! He's often angry too, having developed a very short rope lately. Related? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
    stophypertensio
    (male)

stophypertensio HB User
    Re: how concerning *is* a bp of 148/92 while at rest?

Well we don't know his total medical history to say that. Or how the sleep study is effecting him.

Anything over 140/90 is high blood pressure, and once it goes there, if he doesn't improve his lifestyle with proper diet & exercising, the only thing left is to go up.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
    kensie22
    Inactive
    (female)

kensie22 HB User

Thanks for your quick reply.

I just meant generally speaking, could chronic high blood pressure affect one's mood?

As for the sleep study, he's having it done because he snores and I have witnessed him stopping sleeping several times. Once a few months ago I was downstairs and heard him making a strange gasping/choking sound when I had heard him snoring moments earlier, so I ran upstairs and found him staggering aruond holding his chest, gasping for air. I was stunned and just stood there staring at him, and then when I went over to him he was already beginning to catch his breath. He sat down and was sweating profusely and after a minute he said very breathlessly that he was going to take a quick shower to help him feel better.

It scared us both quite a bit, and I was more shocked when he told me that this has happened once or twice before without me knowing!

His general life style - he is self employed and enjoys his work, which is very labor intensive. He gets quite a bit of a cardio workout just in his work. He doesn't sleep well at night, partly due to bad allergies that we can't always get good control of, and partly due to his (assumed) sleep apnea. This means that he is very tired in the evening and rather than working out on the weight equipment that he used to love to use (10+ years ago now) he watches tv and dozes off with a beer in his hand more often than not. He has been working to change that the past week or so but it will take some time. We have children ranging in age from 5 - 15 and they keep us very active as well.

Anyhow, this is probably excess information. Thank you again for your reply.

Last edited by kensie22; 10-29-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Sounds like he is a heart attack waiting to happen. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. His Dr. should definately know about those two incidences-make sure you tell the DR. about the sweating. My husband had similar issues with sleep before his sudden heart attack. Make sure you have some aspirin (325mg) handy as long as he can take it with his allergies. He needs to chew aspirin so it gets into the system right away if he starts having symptoms of a heart attack. Buy the uncoated aspirin. Aspirin saved my husbands life cause he had two right away after realizing he was having a heart attack.

The sleep study is a good idea. Ask the DR. if he should be taking aspirin everyday.

I've seen too many women in your situation. Make sure you have adequate life insurance as well as health insurance. You have children to take care of.

How about just a walking program that would be less strenous until you see what the sleep study brings. Getting a good fit with the mask is key if he has to do that. I had the sleep study done. C-Pap will usually reduce b/p 10mm points. I found it relaxing.

When he does the sleep study, have him take his favorite pillow/blanket etc. so he can relax. I showed up with a ton of stuff but I was able to get to sleep with all the electrodes hooked up so it is worth it. Some people have to do it again because they don't sleep & the study in incomplete.

He might be able to get his b/p down just by moderate exercise, being able to sleep better, cutting out the beer, & losing weight.

Your ahead of the game with him eating right. How about the sodium intake?

Fatigue is a big red flag for heart attack. Most people say they had it the month before their heart attack. This type of fatigue is unusual tireness without a reason.

Fam

Last edited by famnd; 10-29-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
    kensie22
    Inactive
    (female)

kensie22 HB User

Fam, wow what a scary situation it sounds like you and your husband found yourself in! It just reminds me that my own father died of the first heart attack he ever had, in his early 40s. My own mother was left to raise six children on her own. I only have three children, but we have no life insurance so if he were to pass away, it may as well be three hundred. I am a stay at home mom with two degrees but no job or outside support system to rely on, my own parents having passed away years ago.

I will be buying aspirin today, continuing to encourage him to exercise and drink less, and will be insisting he keep his appointment for the sleep study tomorrow.

Oh, salt intake - he hates salt. Adds it to NOTHING and sometimes doesn't eat things that he finds too salty. I guess his pickiness is in his favor.

Thank you again for your very appropriate and sobering words, they are very appreciated!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

I've found Bayer aspirin to be the easiest on the stomach-I already have stomach issues. I dilute my aspirin in room temperature water & take it with food. I find a little shot glass works great for this purpose. I was having a party once & pulled out my shot glass to take my aspirin. Everyone was looking at me until I realized they probably thought I was having alcohol & didn't give them any, so I explained .

Dr. Oz says to dilute aspirin before taking it.

If your husbands decides to go on DAILY aspirin, he will probably only need a baby aspirin which is about 1/4 of a regular aspirin (325mg). It is cheaper that way. I cut the regular aspirin in 4 quarters & then just put it in a medicine bottle. I don't know if you can buy baby aspirin without all the coating which may not be as effective because it isn't as well absorbed.

One needs to watch for rectal bleeding when on aspirin therapy which involves checking one's bowel movements & having a stool test for blood once a year. It is called a fecal occult stool test & is covered by insurance. Fam

Old 10-31-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
    kensie22
    Inactive
    (female)

kensie22 HB User

Thanks again, fam! His sleep study is tonight, and once the results are compiled and sent back to our PCP I will insist he's put on bp meds. His father has had several heart attacks as well. I'm assuming it's too late for life insurance, in so far as that we're both in our mid to late 30s and have never had any. I have no clue about things like that, but I do know that if it's going to be another $50 monthly bill, it won't fit into the budget!

Closed Thread