It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Has anyone kept their blood pressure in check without meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
    stophypertensio
    (male)

stophypertensio HB User
    Has anyone kept their blood pressure in check without meds?

What have you done?

Including your diet, exercising, supplements you took, and anything else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User
    Re: Has anyone kept their blood pressure in check without meds?

Hi,

Yes, I'm medication-free at the moment. I was initially placed on 50mg Atenolol (yuk) then 20mg of Micardis (much less side-effects). My numbers with Micardis got down to the high nineties over high sixties. I've been off all drugs for a few months now. I'm not complacent and I know thoses figures can rise. But, so far it's fine.

Main changes were more exercise and weight loss (badly needed anyway). Diet is better but needs improvement. It's hard to give up sweet things. I following good advice on the forum about that. I also meditate a bit. And generally try to chill-out.

Supplements are: Magnesium, garlic and a good multivitamin. I really feel the magnesium is helping me stay more relaxed.

Numbers yesterday morning: 117/76, 113/74 and surprisingly 96/70.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 10-31-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
    aether4
    Veteran
    (female)

aether4 HB User

Nope, but I'm on the opposite end of things with low blood pressure and issues with it cause by nervous system problems.

Though like wise, not all high blood pressure problems can be fixed by life style changes. Always make sure there is nothing else going on to be the underlying cause of your high blood pressure.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:50 AM   #4
    Uff-Da!
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I was able to eliminate BP meds for a few years, though I've been back on them for the past couple of years.

After my husband had a major stroke in 1999 and I began caring for him 24/7 my BP shot up and I was put on meds for the first time. I was on 30 mg Lisinopril for most of the four years I spent as a caregiver. I expect that stress and chronic sleep deprivation were the major factors in requiring that much medication. After my husband's death I lost about ten pounds. Though I'd never been overweight according to most charts, that weight loss put me at the low end of normal weight for my frame. Then I started changing my diet, eating far less meat and eating much larger amounts of raw vegetables and legumes. The combination of lowered stress, more sleep, weight loss and changed diet allowed me to drop my BP meds entirely.

A year or two ago I went back on meds, but only 5 mg Lisinopril and just a few weeks ago that was increased to 10 mg. A higher dose would be better to keep my highs in check, but I have a highly reactive BP as well as postprandial hypotension. Therefore, my doctor fears that a higher dose would bring my lows too low. I think the need to go back on meds is due to several things: (1) aging. I'm 67 now and I suspect blood vessels are becoming less flexible. (2) Lack of exercise. I've just become lazier about that. (3) Weight gain. Though I have a body mass index of 21.6 now, it was about 19.6 when I went off the meds. (4) Diet. Due to pure laziness about making all those big salads I ate previously and having a new gentleman friend who likes meat and pasta, my diet has slipped a bit. And I know I'm consuming more sodium. (Possibly 5) I'm no longer taking the magnesium supplement as regularly as I did when I was off BP meds, mostly because I've become more forgetful.

Closed Thread