It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Benicar HCTZ---good report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
    LeeAnn76
    Inactive
    (female)

LeeAnn76 HB User
    Benicar HCTZ---good report

I have no idea if this will give the same result to other people---I have reported earlier and nobody responded---that is fine----but I switched from Benicar to the one with the diuretic and within 3 days my bp has dropped dramatically---

I have been on bp meds for 5 years---my family member pharmacist and others had said, well you know the first line of defense for newly diagnosed high bp in an otherwise healthy person is a diuretic---

Nobody did that---I won't go through my whole adventure---but after just a couple of days my bp has gone way down-----
    and I feel good--

I was transitioning off Norvasc---didn't like side effects---Lisinopril didn't work well---the Benicar alone---
    and we are also dealing possibly with thyroid issues so the anxiety factor overlaps---

but my God, my numbers are good, I slept last night, I can get a ring on my finger I could not do for a year or two----
    if this really works I am a very happy camper

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Benicar HCTZ---good report

Hi LeeAnn,

Quote:
    I have no idea if this will give the same result to other people---I have reported earlier and nobody responded---that is fine----but I switched from Benicar to the one with the diuretic and within 3 days my bp has dropped dramatically---
    Sorry about the oversight. What a great news! It's always nice to hear success stories.

Quote:
    the first line of defense for newly diagnosed high bp in an otherwise healthy person is a diuretic---
    Surely by now you have started to question your doctor's judgement in making treatment decisions. Has he offered an explanation? In the absence of contraindications, there is really no excuse for his not having tried a diuretic as part of an initial treatment. By following the hypertension treatment guidelines he could have spared you a lot of misery over the years. I am sorry it's taken this long for you to find an effective medication. Things can only get better from now on.

Benicar/hctz drug combination should have a significant blood pressure lowering effects in most people. Numerous studies have shown that the ARBs are just as effective as the ACE inhibitors in reducing the blood pressure, without the ACE Is' side effects. It makes sense, since the two drugs have a similar mode of action. The only drawback is their cost. I m glad you seem to tolerate this drug combination well.

Quote:
    I can get a ring on my finger I could not do for a year or two----
    I had the same problem...do you think it was from the CCB? I had to have my rings re-sized and still could not wear them after a while. One day the fingers on my hands simply stopped swelling. My rings are too big now but that's tough luck!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 11-14-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Same here, HCTZ was last to try!!! Had an allergic reaction to the dye in it but when to a compound pharmacist to make it up without the dye. It's a cheap drug & it works for most of us. It took a month for it to work for me. Fam

Old 11-15-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
    LeeAnn76
    Inactive
    (female)

LeeAnn76 HB User

I think I was not clear----that the original doctor I had 5 years ago is the idiot who
    put me on a ccb because he had samples in his office. Fortunately, for a variety of reasons I "fired" him a few months ago and now have an internist who is great. I first
    fired the original doc because of issues of his treatment for my thyroid and how he treated me like an idiot. My new doc and I are working on that----and I asked him to change my Norvasc to another drug. He was all for it and he himself didn't understand the ccb as a first line of defense--

So we tried lisinopril which didn't agree with me---then Benicar---but it seems the HCTZ in the Benicar is what I needed all along.

Frankly, the Norvasc (amlodipine now) kept my bp down, but I got tired of the swelling and I am convinced that the numbness I have had in my feet which seemed to increase the longer I took amlodipine was a side effect.

My new internist very much likes the ace inhibitors and the ARB's for a variety of reasons----and I can see how the diuretics are such a great anti-hypertensive, too.

I try so hard to be pro-active and read and ask questions and research----and I should have asked a long time ago, well why not a diuretic since everything I read talks about that.

Well, here we are finally.

And I did file a complaint with my insurance company who takes very seriously if their customers are happy-----in particular because I am fortunate my husband works for a large company and my insurance company has a particular phone number for those employees. I partly blame myself for not firing that first doctor a long time ago---but at one point I had thought he was a pretty good doctor-----until he started treating me
    like a candidate for the asylum.

Thanks for all the input

Old 11-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

LeeAnn,

I am so glad you got rid of the jerk! I had one like that myself until just a few months ago. I blame his lack of interest and failure to take my blood pressure measurements over the years for being where I am today. I know that I am just as much to blame for not demanding the blood pressure checks and not taking a good care of myself. I have a wonderful doctor now. He is very helpful, really cares and, most importantly, listens. So I know how much of a difference having a good doctor makes, and am happy for you.

I apologize for not re-reading your previous post before replying to this one. I had read the original post without retaining any details. Thank you for refreshing my aging memory. Or, perhaps, I should blame it on the drugs?

Quote:
    I try so hard to be pro-active and read and ask questions and research----and I should have asked a long time ago, well why not a diuretic since everything I read talks about that.
    I made the same mistake as you, never questioning anything my doctor did or said. I know better now and have learned my lesson. It pays to be well informed about the health issues that concern us. It could save our lives some day.

flowergirl

Old 11-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
    ntbd
    Inactive
    (male)

ntbd HB User

I think it' s generally believed that if a diuretic works, then the person is getting too much salt.

a side note: talk among researchers is to use ARBs as first line, and even in combination with a CCB. IIRC this was a big topic at the joint ESH/ISH conference in Berlin this summer.

Also, I believe I've seen that diuretics affect lipids and BG, true? I don't know the details, I'm sure many of you do.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
    LeeAnn76
    Inactive
    (female)

LeeAnn76 HB User

I have no idea how to answer your combination of thoughts---
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure about 5 and a half years ago---
    otherwise being a really healthy person---I know now the idiot doctor
    should have given me a diuretic and probably atenolol---long story, but I can have tachycardia----
    even a family member who is a pharmacist never understood how he was treating me except he had samples of the ccb in his office-----
    I fired him for a number of reasons--
    I am dealing also with a thyroid condition which happened after all the bp issues---which also made me fire my first doctor and now I have an internist who is wonderful---
    I am not the experts you all are, obviously--
    I can only tell you that after 2 or 3 days with a diuretic in the mix, my bp is way down and I feel wonderful.

I don't know about salt--all I know is that I can now wear a ring on my right hand I could not wear for two years---
    I eat a very healthy diet, not much salt--
    I have great blood work for other things---
    and a very healthy person----
    active and energetic----

I am just saying that adding the HCTZ is something we probably should have done 5 years ago----
    I am feeling great, my bp today was like 108/64
    so I guess it is working.

We are still working on my thyroid which also is a mystery----the only symptoms I ever had were panic and anxiety and finally someone read the test correctly and my TSH was too high---
    then it got way too low and I had hyper symptoms---

so my new internist is great---we are on an adventure of discovery together---
    but if you hear someone snoring, it will be be because I can finally sleep---\

thanks for all your input

Closed Thread