It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Quercetin and blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User
    Quercetin and blood pressure

I thought of yet another supplement reputed to lower BP and help artery compliance, quercetin. I believe its the stuff found in the white skin under an orange or citrus peel. I used to take it and just sort of forgot to, but will probably start again. Its a flavinoid that also has anti-inflammatory properties.

tamuprof45

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
    ntbd
    Inactive
    (male)

ntbd HB User
    Re: Quercetin and blood pressure

quercetin: onions, apples, is also anti-cancer

and you make a very good point about eating the white pulp, as that's also the one edible place I know of to get hesperidin and rutin, which are in the C complex and also have to do with healthy arteries. So if anybody is having an orange, don't throw the pulp away. Oh, and also the same in bell peppers, the pulp and seeds.

It's remarkable how people generally take a piece of fruit or vegetable and then busily set about cutting away some of the healthiest parts... even peeling apples and potatoes.

Speaking of other possible supplements: osthole, as found in cnidium or angelica. On two of three recent occasions, I took cnidium and later had a ~10/10 drop. But I'd also had aspirin, sometimes arginine, varying exercise, rest, etc so as usual it's hard to pin down. Osthole is connected to coumarin (warfarin/Coumadin is the synthetic coumarin).

Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User

Never heard of cnidium or angelica...thanks! Can you give a brand/product name so I can track them down?

tamuprof45

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-16-2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 11-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
    ntbd
    Inactive
    (male)

ntbd HB User

hallelujah! I finally got my jar of molasses open, only by heating it

sorry, tamu, i don't have a brand name on that. some years ago, i belonged to a longevity discussion group, where they all wanted to live Beyond A Century. that's where i discovered where to get supplements in powder form - and save $$ too

my cnidium is in powder form. i've seen it's relative angelica mostly only as referred to in studies - both being supposedly vasodilators

speaking of which, have you tried a meal of hot pepper? then test yourself say an hour afterwards. i am used to hot pepper, but the other night i had a meal with so much hot sauce that even i was looking for milk to quench it. an hour or so later my bp was down about 10/10. i'd have figured that capsicum would be a stimulant, but a little research showed it as having some bp lowering properties. so go figure. but i can't say for sure it was the pepper that made my bp drop that night. but there were more than one occasions where that just might have been true, by accident

my magnesium glycinate is also in powder form. finding supplements can be a Riddle. let me know if you follow that.

(have you also tried nacinamide or niacin? my view is that you have to try 10-20 before you find one that gives you a benefit. most don't do much, unless perhaps you have a deficiency)

Closed Thread