It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• How Long for results--HCTZ added to Lisinopril?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User
    How Long for results--HCTZ added to Lisinopril?

I've been taking 40 mg of Lisinopril for months, but after measuring, results still are somewhat high, with readings generally around 140/70. Went to the doctor a week ago, and he wanted me to add 12.5 mg of HCTZ. I don't know how long it would normally take to see a difference if this is to help, but so far it's not caused any lowering. In fact my readings seem to be above 140 now.

It's possible that the doctor will try 25 mg of HCTZ as the next thing-- just seems like maybe a change in medication is needed. Any thoughts appreciated. I have no noticeable side effects from my meds.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-22-2008 at 07:25 AM. Reason: I edited title for you :)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: How Long for results--HCTZ added to Lisinopril?

Daff,

what was your blood pressure reading today? Don't give up on the hctz just yet. The intial starting dose of hctz should be 12.5 mg. When administered with Lisinopril, at least two or three weeks should elapse before the hctz dose is increased. Any potential increases will be based on your blood pressure response. It could take up to six or eight weeks to see an optimal antihypertensive effect. Hctz is a very effective medication and most people respond to it well, given enough time.
    Higher doses of hctz (above 25mg) do not result in a further reduction in blood pressure. Increasing your hctz to 25mg, if it proves necessary, could mean metabolic disturbances - such as potassium and sodium loss, increases in glucose and uric acid levels and others. Many people on hctz have to deal with these electrolyte imbalances. Another option for your doctor would be to increase your Lisinopril dose while leaving the hctz dose intact.

take care,
    flowergirl

Old 11-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    what was your blood pressure reading today? Don't give up on the hctz just yet. The intial starting dose of hctz should be 12.5 mg. When administered with Lisinopril, at least two or three weeks should elapse before the hctz dose is increased...
    Hi flowergirl-
    I'm late responding as I was away for a few days. My readings have generally stayed in the high 130s, with an occasional reading above 140 or below 130. I appreciate your advice, and will give the HCTZ a little more time. It probably needs another week for me to know for sure if this is helping, so I'll be patient.
    Thanks.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daff View Post
    It's possible that the doctor will try 25 mg of HCTZ as the next thing-- just seems like maybe a change in medication is needed....
    Just a quick update in case anyone has anything to add-- after 3 weeks on the 12.5 mg of HCTZ (along with lisinopril 40 mg), there's been no apparent change in my blood pressure (generally around 140/75). So my doctor has bumped me to a higher dosage of 25 HCTZ (no change on the lisinopril). And I'm scheduling an office visit in a month to review the status.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

The 25 mg of hctz should do the job. Do not exceed the 25mg dose. Higher doses of hctz are not recommended due to adverse effects on metabolism. Most doctors won't prescribe them anyway unless there's a compelling reason. One of the factors affecting the response to medication (especially hctz) is volume expansion, which can greatly reduce the drug's effectiveness. The increase in volume happens via excessive sodium intake, the use of other antihypertensives, or damaged kidneys. So, if you haven't already, start watching your dietary sodium intake. Good luck with that! I hope the hctz works for you.

FG

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
    daff
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

daff HB User

Thanks for reminding me about the sodium. I haven't made enough effort to change my eating habits, but know I should. I'll start thinking more about that.

Closed Thread