It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• How long for HCTZ to work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
    ssborrow
    (female)

ssborrow HB User
    How long for HCTZ to work?

I started Linsinopril, which managed my bp but gave me too many side effects. My new dr. switched me to HCTZ. I am wondering how long it takes to work....I've been on it for 3 days and my bp is actually higher now than it was before when I wasn't taking any meds (waiting for my appt) Does it take awhile to build up or should I call my dr. asap and let him know it isn't working? Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
    LeeAnn76
    Inactive
    (female)

LeeAnn76 HB User
    Re: How long for HCTZ to work?

I think many people get results pretty quickly---but boy, we are all so different, and it depends on any underlying issues. I got immediate results, but then I was switching from one med to another, plus I have been taking a beta blocker for 5 years because of tachycardia which has been just fine and the atenolol is one drug out of a zillion which has not seemed to give me fits.

It is very possible that many people need a combination of drugs to control bp effectively----hang in there for the HCTZ----I know personally, too, that my anxiety about my bp can cause me to NOT take my bp like I should---

I have a digital monitor at home. If I were to walk over the the table, sit down and take it, it would be higher than it should be. But the instructions are to sit for at least 5 minutes, be quiet, calm, don't talk and then take it.

You don't say how much higher it has been.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
    beezbaby
    (male)

beezbaby HB User
    Re: How long for HCTZ to work?

I started HCTZ a little over a week ago. First time on BP Meds. In doc office my pressure was 150/90. When I got home (prior to meds) it was 142/88. Within 24 hrs my bp was in the normal range and has stayed ever since. This was just me so I don't know if this is the norm or not.

Good luck!

Closed Thread