It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Beta Blocker Without Rash

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
    pete444
    (male)

pete444 HB User
    Beta Blocker Without Rash

I really need some help. I'm a 61 year old male with newly discovered high BP....200/100. I have tried several different drugs: beta blocker, calcium channel blocker, and an angioreceptor blocker. All have had either headaches or rash as a side effect.

The only thing that worked to lower my BP was Bystolic (Beta blocker). Unfortunately, it created a terrible itchy/spreading rash. I have heard that if you get a rash from one beta blocker, you will probably experience that same reaction from all or most of the other beta blockers. Anybody had this same problem? And if so, did you find a beta blocker (or any BP drug for that matter) that WORKED without causing rash/headache?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: Beta Blocker Without Rash

I got a rash from Inderal (beta blocker) but not from an alpha/beta blocker called Labetalol. Norvasc gave me piercing headaches. Fam

Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
    Re: Beta Blocker Without Rash

To be brief, I started taking BYSTOLIC earlier this year, I then switched to TOPROL XL, because BYSTOLIC appeared to be causing some knee pain and severe fatigue. While taking TOPROL for several months aside from the similar fatigue and disturbed sleep. I did not have problems any problems with a rash. Recently, I returned to taking BYSTOLIC and low and behold I appeared to develop an itchy rash by my lower left face area. Similar to mosquitoe bites. After scratching it appeared to spread a little bit. I don't usually experience skin rashes. I also have some lower (personal parts) itchiness and irritation. I'm still not certain 100% whether it was from BYSTOLIC or an irritant. I stopped BYSTOLIC for several days and then started again at 5mg, and the reaction appears to have improved. I will continue taking, but if I experience the rash again, I will contact the doctor and go back to TOPROL. I think certain beta blockers effect the immune system more than others. Maybe BYSTOLIC is one of them. At least we have some other available choices among the beta blockers.

Closed Thread