It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Newbie to HCTZ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
    MarkK
    (male)

MarkK HB User
    Newbie to HCTZ

I just started taking 25mg of HCTZ to lower my blood pressure. Before taking HCTZ, my BP ranged from 120/80 - 130/90. I noticed the variances changed every day usually one good day then one bad day.

I started taking HCTZ 3 days ago. My first day my BP was 132/95, yesterday it was 137/91 today its 124/89.

Has anyone noticed a similar pattern when they started taking HCTZ? Normally how long does it take for HCTZ to start showing some positive results?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User
    Re: Newbie to HCTZ

It usually takes HCTZ about 2 weeks to start having an effect. Usually, people are started on 12.5 mgs and only increased if that dose doesn't reduce BP over a month or so. Seems like 25mg to start is high, especially as your starting BP isn't really very high.

But give it two weeks to start and about a month for full effect and see how it goes.

Last edited by ms58; 12-29-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Greetings,

I am surprised they gave you anything for those numbers. Usually, even at 130/90 they will say something like, "Watch your diet, salt, get exercise, etc." Starting a drug with numbers like that is like going after a mouse with an elephant gun, IMO.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
    MarkK
    (male)

MarkK HB User

Thanks for the responses.

I was surprised that she recommended medication so quickly as well. I consider myself an active person (run 3x week plus other activities on the days) and maintain a pretty good diet (very little junk food 5-6 small meals/day), 1-2 drinks/week and maybe 1-2 cups of coffee/week.

I think part of the reason on putting me on HCTZ was to help me lose weight. Considering that I'm 5' 6" and weighed between 180-185, I was 'overweight' on the ideal weight chart.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
    jonstar
    Inactive
    (male)

jonstar HB User

Dont measure your BP every day, it will make you obsess and worry, measuring it once a wek is quite adequate.

I agree with what the others said, with BP between 120 and 130, you have very good blood preasure, not high blood preasure.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
    MarkK
    (male)

MarkK HB User

I agree. I think anxiety has played a roll in this as well.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
    aubes
    Inactive
    (male)

aubes HB User

if there are other risk factors, a doctor will treat at lower numbers

Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
    Flutterbye77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

You diastolic is high.. that you need to get down. I think thats why they treated you with meds. odd how your top number is pretty much ok though

Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Are you aware that you need to eat lots of potassium rich foods and that you need to have some salt each day because of all the losses of the minerals in the urine?

I find that I need to drink at least 8 (8oz) glasses of fluid throughout the day or else I get very dry. Drinking fluid helps prevent gout too which is a potential side effect of HCTZ.

More calcium is retained by one's body when on HCTZ so you must be cautious about taking calcium supplements. Another good reason to take in enough fluid (protects the kidneys.) Ask your Dr. about your blood calcium levels before taking supplements.

Most people only need to take 12.5mg of HCTZ as it works as well as 25mg according to many Dr's. I'm hoping to cut mine down to 12.5mg soon.

Fam

Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
    MarkK
    (male)

MarkK HB User

Ive been trying to each a banana every day. Also been eating more veggies as well. I didnt know about the salt or calcium. I currently dont take calcium suppliments. Ive been cutting back on salt intake since my Dr. asked me to change my diet a few months ago. I'll check into that.

I havent noticed being more dry from lack of water. My wife told me to drink more water but on the days that I did, I had to wake up at 2-3am in the morning...so I started to go back to my normal water intake. I've never needed to drink lots of water so it might be something that doesnt effect me like others.

Closed Thread