It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Problems getting off Toprol XL

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
    charmednks
    (female)

charmednks HB User
    Problems getting off Toprol XL

<ref: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=654041>

Hi famnd & flowergirl - I too had to withdrawal off of a beta blocker Toprol XL, its a long story but I never had hbp and my heart rate was a little high one day and they I had no prior bp problems or heart problems and they stuck me on 150mg of it, a very high dose, well it's been 6 weeks and the first month was pure HELL...sorry no other way to describe it I had to SVT that landed me in the hospital and then to top it off I have discovered that getting off Beta Blockers increases your chances for a reoccurring Urinary Tract Infection which has not helped my cause.. my question if you can please answer is you said two months it toke you. And flowergirl you said it toke 3 months for the headache, my blood pressure is better it was crazy high upon standing and stayed elevated when lying down, it seems to be doing much better staying down and going down faster but my heart is acting pretty well but the only problem I am stil having is if I get up and try to move around it shoots up to 120 or 130 and if I stay on my feet to long it stay high for awhile...I have had every test you can think of and everything checks out good... can you tell me what happened to you did you just wake up one day and it went down or what I am so curious, because on the net I can't find hardly anyone who has got off of the beta blockers and I am so tired of this stuck in my house for 6 weeks and its driving us all just mad lol.. any feedback would be so so appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-01-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Problems getting off Toprol XL

Hi charmednks,

Quote:
    I too had to withdrawal off of a beta blocker Toprol XL, its a long story but I never had hbp and my heart rate was a little high one day and they I had no prior bp problems or heart problems and they stuck me on 150mg of it, a very high dose, well it's been 6 weeks and the first month was pure HELL...sorry no other way to describe it I had to SVT that landed me in the hospital
    I can sympathize with you completely. I'd use the exact same words as you to describe my withdrawal syptoms from discontinuing the beta/alpha adrenergic blockade therapy (labetalol).
    As you can imagine, many factors play a role in the way each of us responds. Most people without an underlying cardiovascular disease should not have any problems. It has been estimated that only about five percent of people are affected by the beta blocker withdrawal syndrome. This number rises sharply to fifty percent in people with angina. Our health status, the type and amount of drug used and the duration of therapy play a big role in the development of these adverse effects.

Like you, I thought I'd go completely mad from the unrelenting, ever present headache. This, for me, was very difficult to live with, even worse than the cardiological symptoms. I experienced palpitations, erratic heart rate, very unstable blood pressure, shortness of breath and considerable chest pain in addition to the headache. Luckily, these adverse effects, though several weeks long, did not persist as long as the headache did. I was on other drugs, including calcium channel blockers, at the time. I know you're wondering whether your symptoms will simply come to a sudden halt. Mine gradually lessened before fading away completely. Your experience might be different. Hopefully, you've seen the worst of it! Hang in there. Things will get better.

An increased number of beta receptors appears in response to the functional blockade of receptors by the beta blocker. When the drug is discontinued, and no longer in the receptors, these receptors are suddenly exposed to endogenous catecholamines. A temporary adrenergic state in induced. This is what causes the symptoms. An increased need for myocardial oxygen can result in angina or adverse cv events in people with cardiovascular disease. Hypertensives can experience sinus tachycardia, palpitations, fatigue, excessive sweating, or hypertensive emergency or urgency.

So, unfortunately, there is nothing to do but wait it out. You've gone through six weeks of this already - things are not likely to get any worse! Good luck.

P.S. My doctor's suggestion to take long walks had, not surprisingly, no effect on the headache. I don't think there is much our doctors can do to help us get through this.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-02-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
    charmednks
    (female)

charmednks HB User

Flowergirl,

Thank you so much for responding would you believe you are the first person to respond in 6 weeks of going over the net over and over with a real experience just like mine..

As I sit here in tears it is like your my best messenger...I went to a new cardio. today and he was horrible he didn't believe in anything you just wrote, when I have read much on what your talking about concerning this withdrawal process and I agree with you 100%, its very clear in black and white and why he couldn't just explain it to me the way you did instead he was defensive like he owned the stock in the Beta Blockers, but I guess I shouldn't go down that road huh lol..

I am doing the gradual getting better through all of my terror, I do see things going away week by week... and I have to focus on that or I will never get through this..

I just don't get why money or not, these docs don't put more attention to our needs and just say it as simple as you did... I have had a ton of tests done and they said today I have NOTHING WRONG WITH ME or MY HEART!!

So I know I have to hang tough it is just so nice to have support during all of this I guess we are a rare breed huh if I read that correctly.. I was on a ton of medication and I had no real need for it at the end before I got off of it I thought I was going to die from the side effects everyday was a nightmare..

But moving forward now I am just weak from the Urinary Tract Infections.. do you know the Cardio.. didn't even want to hear about that either when studies have shown how withdrawing off BB's can really cause this problem when I have only had one bad UTI like this in my life.. its unbelievable to me how they don't research and don't care. I am somewhat of a therapist myself and I will go to the ends of the Earth to help my clients and how I have been treated during all of this is unbelievable...

But yea today I did get that I need to quit seeing myself as in rebound and realize now that I have to get moving around again, my body is so weak form all of this and the infection.. I did walk more today though then I have in the last 6 weeks and I tell you what I really had to push myself but I will just keep doing it everyday til I get stronger and stronger..

I am on Cipro for the UTI and hopefully in 7 days that will be gone, but been having terrible well pressure like pain in my chest all evening but heck lol I get this every evening it seems..
    Then my heart rate goes down it was 78 before I hopped on the computer..

I guess my only concern from here is my Blood Pressure and its elevated and upon standing and moving around its high.. the cardio didn't seem to think this was a problem.. but it does concern me...

Thanks again for your insightful words you just don't know how much they mean when you can't get any answers anywhere.. or perhaps you do... sorry I wrote a book just needed to vent!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Glad I could help. I too find comfort in knowing that others have dealt with the same issues. All we really need to do is listen to our bodies. When something goes wrong, we know it!

Quote:
    As I sit here in tears it is like your my best messenger...I went to a new cardio. today and he was horrible he didn't believe in anything you just wrote, when I have read much on what your talking about concerning this withdrawal process and I agree with you 100%, its very clear in black and white and why he couldn't just explain it to me the way you did instead he was defensive like he owned the stock in the Beta Blockers, but I guess I shouldn't go down that road huh lol..
    I think that rather than changing medication (and wasting time), it is easier for the doctors to insist that drugs do not have side effects. Perhaps they really believe it. Prescribing drugs is a major part of their job, which might explain their defensiveness. Many doctors adopt this attitude when their patients complain about untolerable side effects. In my experience, reporting adverse effects of brand name, popular drugs seems to evoke even stronger negative reactions. Would you believe a cardiologist insisted that beta blockers do not cause shortness of breath? I remember being too shocked by his intense denial to say anything else. Hoping to improve my breathing, I discontinued the beta blockers with my GP's consent. A small dose of another, more suitable beta blocker has been sufficient, making me wonder about possibly being overmedicated in the first place. Unfortunately, when it comes to side effects, we are not taken seriously. I guess what really matters is the bottom line, and we have to look at the big picture.

One other thing: you say you were on a ton of medication at the time. So was I. Perhaps that is why we've had such a difficult time discontinuing beta blockers. No one really knows the complexity of the various drug interactions and their effects on our bodies, as they have not been tested in clinical trials for safety. When we introduce drugs to our bodies, many processes and mechanisms are altered. Our bodies try to compensate. So, who is to say that we can't possibly have side effects? Unless they've been through it themselves, how would our doctors know?

I hope your blood pressure stabilizes. It may take a while. In the meantime, try to enjoy the summer. It is good to see you changing your attitude - moving ahead is the way to go!

flowergirl

Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
    charmednks
    (female)

charmednks HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Problems getting off Toprol XL

flowergirl2day;

Yes it nice to finally be talking to others that really understand what I am going through and I would say the major suffering. I am so lucky I didn't have the headaches that sounds horrible for you, but interesting enough when the drug turned on me last November I started also to have what are called silent Migraines but was still taking alot of TOPROL at the time, so I would have pressure and couldn't see and felt bad just not the main headache thank god, but I went blind for a week and the doctors didn't get it.

I too also had the bad broncho restriction from the very beginning and when the drug turned on me I was having that so bad thought I had bronchtis or the docs said I did lol, I didn't even have a cough. I had docs that didn't believe me either isn't it nuts. When that is the number one side effects of BETA BLOCKERS but all the pharmacists sure under stood it and/or gaining weight from them in my opinion I have read 8 out of 10 people will develop diabetes from being on Toprol XL, I know it messed with my blood sugar like crazy.

When I said lots of meds I meant alot on the TOPROL XL sorry I wasn't on anything else but Birth Control Pills, which makes my story even more interesting because I was put on Progesterone last Sept. and that is when the side effects really pumped it up and the docs said oh one had nothing to do with other.

Do you know I searched the net for days and in TOPROL XL's main pamphlet that there supposed to give you with the drug it says at the very end the last page, that the pill I was on ORTHO TRICYLEN LO and TOPROL can have major interactions. Crazy huh, so I got off of it and then the TOPROL side effects still just kept getting worse, hence getting off of them all together.

But I understand all that you are saying about your blood pressure taking awhile, Its about 130/85 sitting after about 10 mins, but has been higher on these antibiotics CIPRO boy this stuff is a kicker.
    But I am remaining positive and until I am off the Cipro on Tuesday will I really know how well I am doing because it sky rockets my heart rate and blood pressure,, too much, thank for answering me again its just nice to have people to chat with who have walked in your shoes

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-06-2009 at 05:25 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You're welcome. Please keep us posted. Birth control pills are considered drugs, and, as such, come with many side effects and interact with other medications.
    There are many good sources of drug information. I always use several, including my pharmacists. Though usually descriptive and informative, the drug monographs don't list all possible adverse reactions. It is always a good idea to get your information from several different sources.
    What (if any) medication will you be taking? Is tachycardia still a problem? Your blood pressure sounds good.

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-05-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

charmednks - Are you taking the brand TOPROL XL??? If it's the generic called Metoprolol Succinate XL, they were all re-called by the FDA for horrible side effects. This is all public information. The worst generic drugs were manufactured by SANDOZ pharm. and ETHEX pharm. Toprol XL from between 25 - 100 mg. a day seems to be OK for most people. When you go to the very high dosages, you will probably get one of the side effects on the laundry list of TOPROL side effects. TOPROL XL is clearly written on the prescription bottle manufactured by Astra Zeneca. This is the only brand you should be taking for the time being.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
    semicolon07
    (male)

semicolon07 HB User

I had thought the generic mfg by PAR was ok? I am still getting them from my pharmacy. I knew other companies had problems and were recalled, but didn't PAR had to.
    Did I miss something
    Steve

Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
    semicolon07
    (male)

semicolon07 HB User

Sorry you had a bad day!! lol

Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

* removed Quote *

They are allowed to make cheapest medications with the cheapest ingredients to keep down prices. As a matter of fact, most of the manufacturers do not even produce the pills, they are manufactured overseas in Taiwan, Singapore and India. Generic pills do not have to undergo the scrutiny of placebo testing on 500 + patients for 2 months time as brand name medications. The FDA tests a sample of the pills to confirm that the pill ingredients is within 40 % of the brand name drug. Next, they check if the pill dissolves correctly. Once approved by the FDA they can be sold freely on the market. As time passes, the FDA gets very concerned when numerous reports begin to arise related to strokes, kidney failure, numerous side effects (which occurred with almost all generic versions of Metoprolol and Toprol XL. Consumer labs and the FDA found the ingredients and the time release mechanisms of most batches highly inferior, with the potential to cause serious problems. The pills were banned and removed from the shelves. I'm sure that many generics are very safe, but the huge recent recalls by the FDA on many generic pills makes one wonder of the quality and safety. The public has lost confidence. We are sacrificing our health for the cheapest pills currently available. The brand drug Tenormin (Atenolol) costs about $150.00 for 90 days. Some generic brands can cost as little as $1.95 for a local drug store to purchase. You can surely expect the pharmacist to charge you the usual co-pay (ex. $20.00 or more) and dispense the cheapest generic on his shelf. When the pharmacist tells you "They are all the same". Ask him if he or a family member would take this same pill. My uncle was a pharmacist and always stressed the fact of taking the brand medication whenever possible.
    I wonder why?? Maybe for money, or perhaps many of his customers began to grow a 3'rd eye or did not look and feel the same.

P.S. When it comes to heart medications, there is no kidding around. It could make a condition seriously worse. If you feel comfortable taking a generic medication with few side effects and cleared temporarily by the FDA, feel free to continue.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-09-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Removed Quote.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by semicolon07 View Post
    I had thought the generic mfg by PAR was ok? I am still getting them from my pharmacy. I knew other companies had problems and were recalled, but didn't PAR had to.
    Did I miss something
    Steve
    Yes PAR is OK according to the FDA. Strangely, PAR is affiliated with Astra Zeneca, the manufacturer of Toprol XL. It seems they make a profit either way. At least the cost savings are trickled down to the consumer, for a completely safe and reliable pill. I guess we all make out OK. If these two companies were not producing good quality Toprol XL, it would be a sad state of affairs for hospitals, clinics and the consumers who rely on these pills. Especially, to find a suitable pill for their patients without the horrible side effects...

Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
    charmednks
    (female)

charmednks HB User

Hi yes I understand the difference between the generic and the Astra Zeneca Toprol and I am off all meds, I never had High Blood Pressure until now since being off of it, its kept it evelvated...But thanks for the info.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
    semicolon07
    (male)

semicolon07 HB User

Thanks for the reply ACE.
    I thought I had read that on here and even searched the net and found that they made pretty much an equal to Astra Zeneca Toprol and they were the only generic they, Astra, approved of. I have been on both Toprol XL and the generic by PAR and have had no side effects at all. I feel lucky compared to others going through so many side effects.
    I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something about PAR.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
    finallyoff
    (female)

finallyoff HB User

charmed,

how are you doing off the beta blocker now? your posts have kept me "company" while tapering off the toprol xl. yesterday was my first day off. I weaned down to 12.5 mg for 3 weeks (has taken me since July to wean off from 100mg.) my BP was hovering around 110/70 on 12.5 mg. Yesterday, my first day of no toprol, it shot up to 130/90 for a few min. and this morning it is goes from 124/89- to 125/82. I now these numbers are not crazy high, but for me and my body.....i feel great when its 110/70 ish. my heart rate is like yours. on movement it hovers in the 120 range, shower caused it to go into 130 range...and sitting down doing nothing but reading or on computer it is in high 90's and low 100's...sometimes 110. This is only my second day off toprol and i was wondering how you are doing? it has been since may when you were posting and i was wondering if you are still struggling with high blood pressure and high heart rate.
    thanks for sharing your specific details getting off this crazy med.
    i hope you are doing better sunce then maybe i might feel like there is an end in sight for me.....please reply!!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
    charmednks
    (female)

charmednks HB User
    Exclamation Re: Problems getting off Toprol XL

hi Finallyoff,
    I so understand how you feel we should really keep in touch as NO it never ended for me without help, and I am not trying to scare you but for me the truth is Toprol nearly killed me on several occasions in different ways.. now here is the good news, I did have to however get back on a Calcium Channel blocker because I couldn't do life with BP being so high when mine was never HI as well before Toprol I was always 120/80, and my heart rate wasn't going down anytime soon.. I take a very min dose though because it isn't near as harsh as the beta blockers are so i feel one day I will hopefully be able to get off of it,, I am out walking around now, doing life working what not.. but I won't lie everyday is a struggle as I know because my body was so poisoned by that med that it's in full recovery mode.. I am sure there are many ways to fix this naturally and all the Cardio docs say is you just have a HIGH HEART RATE and we will deal with the symptoms and I say BS.. I never had a high heart rate before Toprol.It sounds like to me though you toke more time to wean down I weaned down the 150mg in less then 6 weeks and my body just couldn't handle it, and being on it was misery.. so again this is all I know.. it is just so interesting to meet someone else with the exact same side effects we really have to keep in touch because I will tell you what we are RARE and for most these symptoms you are having go away mine never did.. now I am not sure how well the Cardizem I am on is working at first not alot it kept me at 100 walking instead of 130 and now resting I am going down in the 70"s which aww is wonderful, so it might be my heart that is doing that..the other positive note is all those nasty side effects I had and the list is endless. I swear I was almost a diabetic because of it, well that is all gone, the constant dizziness and on and on.. I just kept doing life and got stronger and stronger, because again Cardizem just isn't very strong.. blood pressure has been really well too unless I get sick then it soars higher then it ever did before Toprol.. I will add you on here message you my email addy and would love to see if you heal better then I did and maybe since we are so rare we can help each other lol..please not my experience doesn't have to be yours I pray yours will just start dropping down...Good Luck talk to ya soon..

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-28-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Closed Thread