It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Very confused regarding fluctuating BP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
    smyrnaboy
    (male)

smyrnaboy HB User
    Very confused regarding fluctuating BP

I recently bought a home BP monitor. It's an Omron HEM-629, and the cuff goes about 1 to 1.5 inches below your palm near the wrist. I'm 35, male, 5'11" and 168 lbs. I'm in pretty good shape, although I have great personal and professional stress at the moment.

In the morning, my BP has been, give or take 5 pts., 117/72. In the evening, it has been from 124/78 to a high of 140s over mid-80s.

I know that BP fluctuates normally, but especially when I take multiple readings at night, within minutes, it can drop or rise, especially the systolic, 15-20 pts. I have had white coat syndrome problems in the past, but I'm taking it in private at home. Oddly, I still get tense when it inflates at home and I hear it doing so and hear the beeps.

And why does a higher heart rate (100-110) sometimes result in a normal (115-120 over 70-80 reading) and a lower more "normal" heart rate(70-80) result in an elevated reading (135-145 over 80-95 reading).

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
    Re: Very confused regarding fluctuating BP

Hi there,
    I hate to have to tell you this since you JUST bought your new OMRON- but wrist monitors are not as accurate in general than arm ones. However, that's not to say that they haven't improved in the last couple of years.

As to your very good question about heart rate/BP, my doctor told me that the body has several compensatory mechanisms that control blood pressure. One such mechanism is the amount of blood pumped from the heart (cardiac output) and this is reflected in your heart rate.

(Other mechanisms that control BP involve the volume of blood in the blood vessels at any given time and the diameter of veins and small arteries).

These compensatory mechanisms are activated by cells that act as sensors, located in the arteries. They're called called baroreceptors and theyconstantly monitor blood pressure.

See! You got your own BP monitor built right in!

Okay. SO... When these sensors detect a change in blood pressure, they trigger a change in one of the compensatory mechanisms in order to maintain a steady blood pressure.

Sometimes, when BP lowers too much, the heart is signaled to change the rate and force of heartbeats..... e.g to beat faster.
    Ergo, when BP goes up too much, your heart is signaled to beat a little slower.

So your built in sensors are actually telling your heart to "correct" your blood pressure!

Hope that helps!

zuzu xx

Old 07-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
    smyrnaboy
    (male)

smyrnaboy HB User
    Inaccurate how?

in that they are reading higher or lower than the Dr's office? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
    Evenflo
    Inactive
    (male)

Evenflo HB User
    Re: Very confused regarding fluctuating BP

My bp can shoot from anywhere from 90/51 to 145/95 and higher.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
    Re: Inaccurate how?

Smyrnaboy,

Wrist cuff monitors can give unreliable readings from day to day and can be either lower or higher than at doc's office (and also I'm sure sometimes the same as at doc's). It's just that if you intend to track your BP at home over time, an arm cuff monitor is consistently more accurate and likely to match the readings your doctor gets.

zuzu xx

Closed Thread