It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Beta Blocker Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
    Beta Blocker Question

Has anyone taking a beta blocker felt that it caused them anxiety. I am taking propranolol. I feel it revved up my anxiety after taking it for a year. Though it did help anxiety in the beginning I am thinking it's working in the opposite direction now.

I have been having increased anxiety, prickly skin sensations, feeling hot and cold.

Has anyone had this as a result of taking a beta?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
    Re: Beta Blocker Question

I never tried Propranol, but when I was taking Metoprolol/Toprol 2 times a day, it did help with anxiety issues. Betaxolol/Kerlone was also excellent for anxiety issues. The brand drug Kerlone is no longer available. Propranol is supposed to be the best beta blocker for anxiety issues. The only concern I have is that too many generic substitutes are currently available and the FDA seems to be recalling many of them. Propranol is a very particular cardio-medication. The ingredients for most cardio medications have to be exact. The brand drug name for Propranol is called Inderal and the Extended Release form is called Inderal LA. If you are taking the cheaper generic, try the brand drug called Inderal. Though you may have to pay more, you may notice a big difference. Ask your doctor to write a new prescription and indicate "DAW" (Dispense As Written) on the prescription, If not the drug stores will substitute the cheapest pill in it's place. If they refuse, tell them you had a bad drug reaction, and on the brand drug you never had a negative reaction. If all else fails, you can always try Metoprolol which is also effective for anxiety.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User

The answer to your question, is absolutely yes. Beta blockers can take quite a bit of time to manifest their side effects. I have posted of my negative experiences with a beta blocker previously. Just click on my name and see other posts.

Short answer. Taper off of them ASAP according to your doctors instructions (never quit abruptly, it's a tapering off process) and try other BP meds. Those of us who react negatively to them can have very bad side effects and changing the brand isn't the answer, we have to stop taking them all together to avoid the side effects.

Last edited by ms58; 12-27-2009 at 09:03 AM.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
    ofacto
    (male)

ofacto HB User

Why were you originally taking the beta blocker? If it was only for anxiety there are better meds for that than beta blockers. In my opinion beta blockers are only good for one thing, controlling heart rate. Since I have sinus tachycardia, beta blockers are a life saver for me. It has also helped me with anxiety and panic attacks. I've been taking them for over 4 years with minimal side effects.

What was your heart rate before taking beta blockers. It seems that people with normal heart rate (under 100 bpm) are much more likely to feel side effects from beta blockers. Poor circulation is another side effect, since they reduce your heart rate some parts of your body do not get enough blood and can cause those strange sensations you mentioned. If you are feeling side effects, there is no reason for you to continue taking them. Ask your doctor about switching, but as ms58 mentioned, never quit beta blockers cold turkey. You have to ween off them to avoid unpleasant withdrawl symptoms.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
    JD57
    (male)

JD57 HB User

I have been taking Inderol for 28 years for migraine headaches
    with no side effects at all. I normally just get what ever generic
    they have.
    It has also helped keep my BP low.

Closed Thread