It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Blips in Blood Pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
    Kaycon
    (female)

Kaycon HB UserKaycon HB User
    Blips in Blood Pressure

Help does anyone know why this happens. I had a stroke due to high blood pressure, I am on medication for it, and most of the time it is well controlled however every now and again the 1st reading I take is high 143/90 the second reading taken straight after comes down to 130/82 then it just gets lower by the 3rd reading it will be 118/76 and pretty much stay at that. All of these readings are taken within 5 mins. The doctor says not to worry about it as it comes straight back down, but as it was bp that caused the stroke I can't help but worry, I know it will settle down again soon and this won't happen again for ages but it always gets me depressed when it happens. I would be really greatful if anyone has any imput on this, or if it happens to anyone else. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
    Mari526
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mari526 HB User
    Re: Blips in Blood Pressure

Have you changed the batteries in your bp monitor lately? Low batteries could make a difference.

Another thing, the quality of the meter makes a difference. Consumer reports tested many of the digital monitors and found Omron to be the best.

Also, make sure you are perfectly still when checking your bp, any movement will make a difference in the reading.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Blips in Blood Pressure

I've now taken my blood pressure around 29,000 times since 1998, or about 7 times per day.

During all of those numerous Blood Pressure readings, I have seldom taken my blood pressure more than once at a time. In rare instances, where I KNOW that the first reading was bonkers, I'll take it more than once, but I would separate the readings by at least 15 minutes.

I don't want successive compression of my artery to distort my blood pressure readings; and I want to be very consistent with how I take my blood pressure so that I can have confidence and consistency in the readings.

I don't know why successive Blood Pressure readings are lower than the first reading, but I have a feeling that it has something to do with the compression of the artery and how fast the artery recovers from the initial compression.

I avoid the worry and fear of High Blood Pressure by taking positive steps, such as going on a very healthy diet, exercise, the most effective medication for my unique health problems, and avoiding the irritants that I have found to cause my blood pressure to go up.

Regards..... and best of luck and health!

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread