It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Reaction to Tekturna

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
    chancec
    (female)

chancec HB User
    Reaction to Tekturna

I was given, by my family doctor,Tekturna 150 mg the end of January for high blood pressure. 190/100. This is the first time I've had this issue and admit to being about 30 lbs. overweight. After two months on this drug, I noticed that I was beginning to have swelling of my feet and legs then my entire body; this was something new. I am also hyporthyroid, taking 75mcg Synthroid daily and thought it might have to do with that. At my March 29 regular visit with my cardiologist, she prescribed HCT 12.5 milligrams to get rid of the water. This did nothing, and the period from then until last Friday, April 22, my legs and feet became so swollen that I could barely stand to walk on them. I sit most of the day at work which complicates this problem. I do however walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes daily. By pure happenstance, and my insurance company's requirement to have my doctor call each month to get my Tekturn refill approved, I ran out of the Tekturna last Sat. I noticed by Monday that my swelling was starting to subside. I also realized that for some time, I had only been urinating 2 -3 times a day in spite of the fact that I drink my 8 glasses a day. Even taking the HCT didn't make a difference, so I stopped it after about one week. On my third day without Tekturna, I began urinating every 1.5 - 2 hrs four about 24 hours. This was without Tekturn and no water pill. It slowed down to a more normal amount the next day, but then my BP jumped to 186/105. I saw my GP yesterday, and she felt that the swelling and water retention were defintely related to the Tekturna, since the swelling started subsiding after I was off of it for three days. My BP was 131/79 this morning having taken only my 2mg atenolol before bedtime last night, but will begin taking Cozaar 150mg tomorrow. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Tekturna or any other BP medicines? It seemed to slow down my kidney function gradually over the three month period. I understand that Tekturna is the first renin inhibitor of it's kind. I hope Cozaar works, and without that type of side effect. Please advise as to anyone else with this problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
    sandybunch
    (female)

sandybunch HB User
    Smile Re: Reaction to Tekturna

I am having identical problems with Tekturna, weight gain and swelling. I reduced my calorie intake and I continue to not loose weight. How can my doctor expect weight reduction when there is so much water retention with this drug? My doctor isn't listening. You are so blessed to have a doctor who listens. I am going to try getting off of this drug aswell and continue the fluid pill that I'm on. Thank you for your post. I am happy to know that I'm not alone.

The following user gives a hug of support to sandybunch:
    Vocrinthedes (12-19-2011)
    Old 12-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
    Vocrinthedes
    Inactive
    (male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User
    Thumbs down Re: Reaction to Tekturna

Tekturna has been an alarmingly bad experience for me. Because ARBs were not working anymore, and ACE inhibitors gave me side-effects, I was switched to Tekturna, and I was actually looking forward to a renin-inhibitor monotherapy.

The first day, I took 150 mg of Tekturna (half of the doctor's recommended dose) and 100 mg of losartan (my regular dose) and had a subsequent small rise in BP and a strange feeling of uncomfortable exhaustion, which surprised me. I passed out in an early nap and woke up with even higher BP!

The second morning, I took 300 mg of Tekturna (my doctor's original suggested dose) and 50 mg losartan, and I quickly developed a piercing headache (and I almost never get headaches for any reason) and felt very "unwell", and by the afternoon, my blood pressure had soared from 140/90 to an ALL TIME RECORD HIGH for me - 170/100! Xanax, a glass of wine, and a long hot bath, brought my BP down to 117/78.

The third day, I woke up with a horrible sore throat and and a nasty taste in my mouth! (But no other signs of respiratory infection.) My waking BP on that third day was 138/89. But I still took another 150 mg of Tekturna that morning, thinking something else could have caused these other symptoms, but after the Tekturna, my BP soared (within in the hour) to 159/94 and continued rising until I stopped it with more xanax. It then dropped to 141/89 in an hour, which is still above my former baseline of 135/85.

I've felt "unwell" all day, weak and limp, sleeping from exhaustion most of the day, in spite of more than 8 hours of solid sleep last night. I will never let a Tekturna pass my lips again.

I'm happy to read that Tekturna has solved other hypertensives' problems with no side effects (but considering how awfully it affected me in a very short time, I wonder about who actually wrote those glowing testimonials), but for me, it's a dangerous and potentially deadly substance.

Vocrin

Last edited by Vocrinthedes; 12-21-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Accuracy

Old 12-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
    Vocrinthedes
    Inactive
    (male)

Vocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB UserVocrinthedes HB User
    Re: Reaction to Tekturna

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chancec View Post
    I hope Cozaar works, and without that type of side effect. Please advise as to anyone else with this problem.
    In my case, Cozaar (losartan) worked very well for a few years, with no side effects whatsoever. Unfortunately, its beneficial effects in lowering my blood pressure decreased a lot after about 8 years. I didn't notice any development of side effects, though.

Vocrin

The Following User Says Thank You to Vocrinthedes For This Useful Post:
    sandybunch (12-18-2011)
    Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
    atengnr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Is your renal function normal??

Old 12-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
    Pat Texas
    (female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Tekturna did not work for me. I tried it for thirty days. I was sick every day--just totally unwell. I will never take it again.

The following user gives a hug of support to Pat Texas:
    The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Texas For This Useful Post:
    Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
    Vocrinthedes
    Inactive
    (male)

My renal function was tested about 3 months ago and everything tested fine. However, since this Tekturna scare, I'm going to be retested.

After three bad days of Tekturna, I've gone without it today and my BP has stayed at a relatively stable 135/85 with 100 mg losartan (which I'm not sure helped at all), 25 mg atenolol, 250 mg niacin (which caused a short dip into slight hypotension), and 2mg of xanax dist. thru the day in .5mg doses. No spikes today, no steadily increasing numbers as with Tekturna.

Unfortunately, 36 hours after stopping, I still feel like Pat Texas did - unusually sick, unwell...actually awful. Can't think clearly. Still dealing with the "leaky diarrhea" mentioned as a side effect of Tekturna. Fortunately, the sore throat and headache have vanished, but my energy and sense of well-being have not bounced back. Hopefully, in one more day....

Vocrin

Last edited by Vocrinthedes; 12-19-2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: More specific about dosage

Closed Thread