It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Fluctuating BP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2002, 07:08 AM   #1
    rrishi78

rrishi78 HB User
    Fluctuating BP

My mother never had any heart/BP problems ever. She is 52 yrs, 150cm, 115 pounds.
    For the past week she has been complaining of headaches and threw up and few times.
    The doctor recorded a high BP of 190/110 and then suggested we admit her to the Intensive care unit for a total check up. They recorded high fluctuations in her BP within the same day. They are unable to find the reasons. Her ECG and CT Scan results are normal ( I donít know what they mean). She is in a lot of stress, anxiety and fear for the past year. Infact I would say the past few years with the past year in major stress.
    Could this be the reason for this High fluctuations in BP. If the reason is stress what should/can be done? How can you keep track of stress and how can stress be prevented?
    Thank you very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2002, 08:31 PM   #2
    SamQKitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
    Re: Fluctuating BP

Stress and anxiety can certainly have an effect on blood pressure, and prolonged anxiety/stress can have a permanent effect. It's also possible that she has developed stenosis somewhere in her arterial system (stenosis is a narrowing which can be cause by muscle tissue growing in and around the artery, a spasm, and also unknown causes). Renal stenosis, in particular, can cause high blood pressure. Regardless of what is causing it, it needs to be controlled, and that usually means medications to lower the BP.

As for things like a bowel movement causing it to go up...any kind of physical exertion causes the blood pressure to go up. In people with normal BP, it usually doesn't go up enough to be dangerous, but in people with resting high blood pressure, the additional exertion of physical activity could be dangerous (obviously depending on how high the BP goes).

It sounds like they've checked out her heart to make sure that isn't a cause (or that the high BP isn't having an immediate adverse effect on her heart.
    Next, she probably should be examined by a nephrologist to rule out renal stenosis and/or kidney problems (one of the jobs of the kidneys is to regulate blood pressure, so if something's wrong with them, it can cause high BP).

Don't let all this scare you too much...blood pressure can be controlled, although sometimes getting a medication that works without causing side effects can take a bit of trial and error. However, I've lived with high BP due to renal stenosis(controlled by medication) for over 25 years, and I'm fine!

Keep posting when you get new info, and make sure her BP is controlled with meds.

Ruth

Closed Thread