It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• HBP Rx and other drugs, BP spikes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
    november2
    (female)

november2 HB User
    Question HBP Rx and other drugs, BP spikes

My 86 mom has HBP, low thyroid hormone, mild depression and high cholesteral.

Here are her meds:
    Simvastatin .cholesterol takes at bedtime

Lisinopril .HBP hypertension takes in morning
    Levothyroxine .thyroid takes in morning
    Sertraline (Zoloft) .depression takes in morning
    Aspirin 650mg/day .stroke prevention regimen. takes in morning (2 325mg Bayer aspirins everyday) I think that 650 mg a day in aspirin is way too much and that she should be on the 81mg aspirin 2x a day.
    She was taking even more Aspirin if she happened to get a headache.

Chlorthalidone . diuretic sometimes takes as needed for swelling/water but she hates taking it because it makes her feel bad
    BONIVA- new doctor prescribed due to condition of hip bones. Took the first pill on 11/30/2010.
    ALEVE .general aches and pains takes as needed. Tylenol is not effective for her.
    Hydrocodone .temporarily prescribed due to broken finger. No more.

Ailments:
    Can not get a good nights sleep, frequently wakes up and sometimes has horrific night terrors waking her up to elevated Blood Pressure levels. Was off of the the hydrocodone for 1 week when she had a really bad night terror which woke her up. Her body was "flashing hot" then cold and she felt she could not move . Her BP had spiked to 160/76. This was extremely frightening to her and she thought she would die in her sleep. 12 hours later and the following day, she is in good spirits.
    Stomach upset, so her old Dr gave her "stomach pills" probably an acid reducer, which helped.
    Constipation, has suffered for years, so which she uses a stool softener daily.
    Knee pain and/or weakness, takes ALEVE.
    Typically she feels good after 2pm. Mornings are rough.

My questions are:
    Should she change the times she takes one or two of her meds? The Simvastatin must be taken before bedtime per her doctors. Will taking the Lisinopril at night help with the middle of the night spikes? Or will taking the Sertraline at night help her get a more restful sleep? What about the Levothyroxine?
    Should she change any of these drugs to another drug with fewer side effects? Suggestions?
    Anything else to suggest.

3 weeks ago, I started her on these daily vitamins:
    Fish Oil- Her bowels are normal now.
    Glucosamin/Chondroitin- for her joints
    Calcium with D for her bones.
    Multivitamin for older women.
    and Lutein for her eye health.

Mentally she is sharp as tack.

Last edited by november2; 11-30-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: tidy it up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: HBP Rx and other drugs, BP spikes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by november2 View Post
    Levothyroxine .thyroid takes in morning

3 weeks ago, I started her on these daily vitamins:
    Fish Oil- Her bowels are normal now.
    Glucosamin/Chondroitin- for her joints
    Calcium with D for her bones.
    Multivitamin for older women.
    and Lutein for her eye health.

Mentally she is sharp as tack.
    How well do these supplements work with her medications? For instance, there are cautions regarding taking Levothyroxine along with Calcium Supplements.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-01-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
    mountainmama201
    (female)

mountainmama201 HB User

So many of the things you mentioned are symptoms of undertreated hypothyroidism. I can identify with many of these things especially the night terrors. I had a terrible problem with this when I took levothyroxine which is synthetic T4 hormone. For me switching to natural dessicated thyroid has helped with many things. In particular I started sleeping better immediately. Also my cholesterol dropped 70 points pretty quickly. High cholesterol is a symptom of hypothyroidism. To help with the sleep problem she could try phosphatidylserine which helps lower cortisol which is probably rising too high at night.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
    mountainmama201
    (female)

mountainmama201 HB User

As Macheon mentioned levo should be taken 4 hours away from calcium, iron and oral estrogen.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
    november2
    (female)

november2 HB User

Thank you for pointing that out. We will adjust her calcium/ multi vitamin intake to later in the day.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
    november2
    (female)

november2 HB User

thank you I will talk to her doctor about changing to a more natural Thyroid med. I spoke with the pharmacist and he said she could take her Lisinopril before bedtime with her Cholestral med. Trying that tonight, will let you all know how that goes.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
    jeda
    (male)

jeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB Userjeda HB User

Hi, I am not a dr. but:

1) You mention that she takes aspirin to prevent strokes. Does she has suffered any stroke?
    The stroke can produce terrible nightmares months and years after it has happen. In that case the nightmare is the one that produces the spike in BP and not the other way around. There are specific medication to avoid the nightmare.

2) The aspirin dose is too high just to prevent the stroke. It may damage her stomach and increase her BP.

3) Aleve, also increase her BP

4) Boniva is difficult to take, the prospect in Spain ask for taking it and stand up at least for 30 minutes after taking it, to avoid esophagus and stomach problems.

5) What type of "stomach pill" is she taking?? If it is a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) like omeprazol, may cancel the effect of any calcium, vitamin or Boniva. In fact is well documented the high incidence of breaking hips in people taking it.

6) Have been all the medicines prescribed by the same doctor??

7) Stool softener ... depending on the type, also can produce stomach problems. Also, over time, the body get use to it and to continue been effective you have to change to a different one from time to time.

8) Depresion, Thyroide, HBP ... by any chance she got her levels of Vitamin D checked out? Despite what the limits in the lab report say, to be OK should be in the range 50-70.

9) The Fish Oil is a blood thiner and may damage the stomach, she should take it after a meal.

Jesus

Closed Thread