It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Significant Pulse Decrease with Atenolol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #46
    mikevm
    (male)

mikevm HB User
    Re: Significant Pulse Decrease with Atenolol

now 15 minutes after completing the workout, my BP is 122/80 and my pulse is 82.

oh what I would give for both of these stats to be these two readings 24/7! no wonder I feel so great after workouts lately... my BP and pulse stats actually return to a normal human being level!

but alas, within an hour, I know my pulse will drop 30 points and my BP will raise by 20 points.

why can't things just be good...

UPDATE: now 25 minutes after working out, and my BP is 131/83 and my pulse is down to 76.

this pulse lowering and BP climbing is so depressing to monitor.

Last edited by mikevm; 03-07-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #47
    atengnr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Dont worry so much about your pulse. Its going to be lower, but youre OK as long as you dont feel dizzy.

Getting more winded on uphill exercise is likely the result of not being able to bring up heart rate to physiologic levels with more intense exertion. This is my complaint about beta blockers, which is very limiting for me - I had to give up full court basketball because I simply cannot develop the endurance to play at a more intense pace.

From my experience you can still lose weight. I dropped 10 lbs last summer with diet and exercise without any more trouble than back before I used beta blockers.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #48
    mikevm
    (male)

mikevm HB User

the cardiologist took me off atenolol immediately, saying he wasn't sure I was prescribed it in the first place, claiming I either have mild hypertension or no high blood pressure at all.

he told me to stop taking the meds, record my BP daily, and see him in a month.

my BP is in the 120-130/70-80 range, pulse is 75, and I'm presently not on medication, so all is well.

I feel SO much better. atenolol was such a horrible, debilitating drug for me

Old 03-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #49
    atengnr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Sounds about right for beta blockers

Good to hear that you may not need to be on anything.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #50
    wolverinete
    (male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User

yeah as i've mentioned i've considered metoprolol...but worried about it because of reports like yours. but i do recall you saying you were running 7 mph pace for a few miles while taking it? that's still a pretty good clip...8:40 miles or so.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #51
    mikevm
    (male)

mikevm HB User

just a quick question: how long until Atenolol clears my system completely?

I have been off atenolol for a week without any issues, except for one: my resting pulse is STILL in the 50-60 range! before I started atenolol it was in the 70-80 range, so something is clearly not right.

I assumed that it would take less than a week to flush out this ineffective drug. why are these effects still lingering?

Closed Thread