It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Persisting Atenolol Side Effects 3 Weeks After Quitting?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
    mikevm
    (male)

mikevm HB User
    Question Persisting Atenolol Side Effects 3 Weeks After Quitting?

hi. I was on atenolol 25mg for 2 weeks, then tapered off over a week down to 8.5mg and then quit. I've had no prevalent issues and feel a lot better, even if the 15-20lbs atenolol put on me during that time has yet to fade. the weight side effect is fine since I know that takes time, and I've finally stopped GAINING weight.

however, it has been 18 days since my last dose of atenolol, and the bradycardia I experienced with the drug is still persistent. prior to taking atenolol, my resting pulse was between 75 and 90. while I was on atenolol, it was between 47 and 55... this was one of many reasons why I went off it.

anyways, 18 days later and my resting pulse is STILL in the 55-63 range. I KNOW this is not normal for me. I have no issues with limbs falling asleep, headaches, or drowsiness, but the decreased pulse scares me. my grandpa had a heart attack a few years back and I'm only 21 years old, so I don't want to go down the same path.

I am going on vacation tomorrow for a few days and would love not to be so worried about this. every day I wake up and hope that my pulse is up, but I'm always disappointed to see that it hasn't budged. I really hope I don't have a blood clot or blocked artery... I've been going crazy with self-diagnosis.

I just want the effects of this horrible medication I quit 3 weeks ago to go away... what's your experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
    atengnr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
    Re: Persisting Atenolol Side Effects 3 Weeks After Quitting?

I can only comment on my experience quitting beta blockers (then restarting a few months later), but it took a good 2-3 wks for me to feel totally normal again. My issue was not a continued lower pulse, but rather anxiousness, shakey hands, but that finally resolved by 3 weeks.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
    Flutterbye77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I didnt know weight gain was a side effect of Atenol. I know 3 people who are on 50mg, one being female and none of them gained weight.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
    mikevm
    (male)

mikevm HB User

weight gain is a side effect of one of atenolol's side effects. did any of the users you know experience bradycardia as a side effect? I sure did, and it was the reason the dr took me off it. those that experience bradycardia under atenolol become prone to weight gain, as the mixture of the slow pulse and blocked fat receptors prevents your metabolism from breaking down anything. MANY people on this forum can attest to this weight gain, and a simple search of atenolol + weight gain on this forum can bring up many first-hand experiences.

I ran 3-4 miles/day and ate less than 2000 calories the past two weeks and have still gained 1.5 inches on my waist. also, my butt and thighs are EXTREMELY bloated looking. I don't weigh myself on a scale, but I figure it's 10-15lbs in a 2 week period.

this is beside the point though. I'm worried about my pulse, not my weight. I'm a bit chubbier than I'd like right now due to the atenolol, but nothing overweight or anything.

the pulse, though, NEEDS to go up soon. I'm going to see my cardiologist after vacation, but until then I just wanted confirmation that it's normal for side effects to persist this long.

I just find it odd that it's taking longer for the side effects to subside than the amount of time I was actually taking the medication. it was 25mg too, AND I eased off it. just want this drug to leave my body. I don't know what's taking so long!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
    soflsun
    (male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

Contrary to what you think, a lower pulse is usually thought to be more beneficial than a fast pulse...so I think your worry is unnecessary. You already know my opinion on the wait gain issue...atenolol is a beta1 blocker which is not present on fat, beta3 receptors are.

What has your BP been running on no meds? This is the most important factor in my opinion.

I have taken 12.5mg of atenolol before and had a lowered pulse for about 1 week. It WILL get out of your system, but just know that until it does, you are not in any danger from it.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
    mikevm
    (male)

mikevm HB User

thanks for the continued advice, soflsun. you and atengnr helped ease my mind a lot and I will be forever grateful for it. I don't mean to knock atenolol... it definitely works for some people, like soflsun. just not me.

the weight issue is not very important at this point... I know how to eat well, exercise, and lose it eventually. I'm not obese or even overweight, so it shouldn't factor too much into my BP. just don't want to gain any more since I know that would negatively impact my BP (I'm also probably just over-reacting because tomorrow will be the first time I put on a bathing suit this year haha). as long as the weight gain isn't attributed to some blood clot or something it's fine. I doubt that's the case since I have no symptoms of that and it's more flabbiness than random bulges that are red.

my BP fluctuates a lot since I've stopped taken atenolol. since then, one night it will be 120/70 and the next it will be 158/85. average the past two weeks is something like 140/78. Atenolol wasn't much better though; it would be between maybe 110/70 and 145/80 instead and still be sporadic... side effects weren't worth the 10 point drop, as you can understand. I did wait though and saw a top cardiologist before going off it, and he said my dose was so minimal (it was 8.5mg at that point and I had only been taking it for 2 weeks) that stopping it immediately would cause no issues. as far as that goes, he's right. I haven't had any uncharacteristic feelings... in fact I feel a lot better since going off it, and my girlfriend says I look 5x better (no longer pale, more muscular, no baggy eyes). I can also exercise without any issues, and have actually been working out more than when the diagnosis started in early February.

my pulse - which can be anywhere from 55 to 75 resting - has no bearing on the BP. however, at the very least, my diastolic has not risen over 85 once. I understand that is the most important one, right? my systolic can be high and reach level 1 hypertension levels, but this can also be attributed to stressing out over my pulse, class, etc. my cardiologist looked me over and said not to worry unless my systolic is over 190 and my diastolic is 100+. neither number has come remotely close to that, so at the very least I might just have minimal hypertension. I'm just worrying about my heart, for whatever reason.

I am monitoring my BP and recording them, as my cardiologist recommended, and he is going to review my readings and determine the proper course of action. all I know is that atenolol may work great for more severe cases (particularly those with existing heart conditions), but for me it wasn't necessary. I'm just happy to have gotten off it with my only lingering side effect being a slow pulse.

hey, with atenolol my pulse was like 47 and now it's around 58-60, so at least that's an improvement, right? I just want it back to my normal 85 or so, even if as soflsun says a lower pulse is actually better.

I just wanna stop freaking myself out whenever I get something stupid like a heartburn lol

Last edited by mikevm; 03-28-2011 at 02:56 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to mikevm:
    pcassell0000 (04-04-2011)
    Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
    Ms_T
    (female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User

Although a pulse of 85 is fine so is a pulse of 60 or 65. From what I have read the slower the pulse (within normal limits which I believe are 60bpm to 100bpm)the longer you will live.

I wouldn't worry about it and I would stop checking it. If you don't have symptoms then try to ignore it. My pulse is pretty low in the 60's at rest so I assume even lower when sleeping and I have palps (I think more noticeable due to the low pulse) but I just had to stop worrying about it once the cardiologist said I was fine.

I bet you are worrying that your heart will just forget to beat since it is so slow but that won't happen I assure you.

Relax and enjoy your med free life.

Ivy

Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
    wolverinete
    (male)

wolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB Userwolverinete HB User

agreed...my pulse sits low 40s...hits the 30s every now and then if i'm really relaxed...so pulse in the 50s/60s is fine. it means you're in shape...congrats. if you truly think it is not normal for you, then follow up but if you are a runner you should have a lower pulse...for me, i get frustrated when my resting pulse is in the 70s...that means i'm prob a little anxious and my BP might be up some...i'm cool as a cucumber when pulse is 42.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
    Djhouse
    (male)

Djhouse HB User

Hi Mike,

How are things goin? How long did it take for you to feel "normal" after stopping Atenolol? I was on 25mg for about a month and a half, today is my 3rd week being off of it. Still tired, getting rebounds, sore and tired leg muscles, hard to sleep @ night. Last night I got the chills again. I had to stop somewhat abruptly because it started making my tongue swell. Still get pounding heartbeat, fast in am. All these seem to come and go, no rhyme or reason.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
    mikevm
    (male)

mikevm HB User

it took about 3 months to feel relatively normal again... my cardiologist agreed it was a terrible drug for me personally, and that he would not give it to anyone under 30 unless they had HEART issues. my heart was fine, it was my BP that was giving me issues. I experienced weight gain, fatigue, a low pulse, and a decrease in sex drive.

I have noted an increase in the frequency of uncomfortable ectopic beats ever since quitting atenolol, but that could also be attributed to anxiety. my cardiologist said they were harmless though, so allegedly I have no issues currently.

Last edited by mikevm; 08-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikevm For This Useful Post:
    Djhouse (08-03-2011)
    Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
    atengnr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Yeah, I honestly dont know why beta blockers are first line for uncomplicated hypertension. I hope that JNC 8 relegates them off the first line list.

The Following User Says Thank You to atengnr For This Useful Post:
    Djhouse (08-04-2011)
    Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
    Djhouse
    (male)

Djhouse HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by atengnr View Post
    I can only comment on my experience quitting beta blockers (then restarting a few months later), but it took a good 2-3 wks for me to feel totally normal again. My issue was not a continued lower pulse, but rather anxiousness, shakey hands, but that finally resolved by 3 weeks.
    I would give my left arm if it only takes 3 weeks to feel better!! Not to sound like a complainer, and I know their are millions of people out there who have it 10x worse than I do....it's just ugh....freakin' awful. It's comforting to know there is an end to this misery.

The posts on this board really helps my sanity, btw.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
    soflsun
    (male)

soflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB Usersoflsun HB User

DJ,

Do you have a xanax or something like that you can take for a bit to get you through? If so, it could help, and is not addictive if taken for short periods of time. It helped me get through the anxiety withdrawals.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
    Djhouse
    (male)

Djhouse HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by soflsun View Post
    DJ,

Do you have a xanax or something like that you can take for a bit to get you through? If so, it could help, and is not addictive if taken for short periods of time. It helped me get through the anxiety withdrawals.
    I am really afraid to take anything else, (pharma) to be honest.... I am going to try the natural route- like Tranquilene.

Closed Thread