It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• What is life-expectancy of young men with high blood pressure?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
    dantescritic
    (male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User
    What is life-expectancy of young men with high blood pressure?

Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy is of a male who gets hypertension at age 20-25?

Both treated and untreated, thank you.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-16-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
    atengnr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User
    Re: What is life-expectancy of young men with high blood pressure?

You ask a difficult question partially because, evaluating the lifespan of untreated HTN will greatly vary depending on many factors, but the level of the hypertension is quite important (is this a person with 250/150 or 140/100?). Also, I have not seen much about folks like you and I who developed high BP at a young age (vs. middle age or later)

I think youd be better off looking at this as a matter of how much hypertension increases risk of disease (you could calculate change in expected life span from here):

essentially, every 10-15 mmhg above 120/80 nearly doubles your risk of cardiovascular disease outcomes - stroke, heart attack, renal disease, left ventricular hypertrophy and CHF, retinopathy, aneurysm, to name a few. Note that well-controlled HTN is not equivalent to a normotensive in risk, but the risk is vastly lower than untreated HTN (of course).

I also developed HTN at age 20, and have wondered the same question as you. You and I will always have some elevation in risk for cardiovascular disease, but we can minimize it by doing the following:
    - control BP to <140/90 or less than that
    - lower cholesterol as much as possible (control with diet, exercise, statins if needed)
    - minimize excess body fat, and consumption of simple sugars (prevent diabetes)
    - learn to relax, and take life more in stride

Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
    dantescritic
    (male)

dantescritic HB Userdantescritic HB User

thanks aten, ive read that for people 50+ with untreated hypertension life is reduced by five years. Although, I also haven't found any evaluating statistics for people our age.

Is it just possible that these people who develop hypertension at 50+ have really just have high blood pressure since young age and not known it? Remember, before 1980 hypertension was classified as anything about 150/100, surely there must have been a number of 145/90, 140/85 that were actually hypertensive and should have been under treatment? Anyway, just speculation on my part there.

So, does a hypertensive that is lets say 140-150/80-90 that exercises, minimizes sodium etc have a better life-expectancy than a couch potato that is obese, doesnt exercise and runs 170-180's-100's all the time? Also could you speculate on exactly how many years hypertension will take of our lives? It's a pretty stressful subject for me, and doesn't help that I suffer from horrid anxiety. But i'd at least like to get some feedback.

I'd be happy to reach 50-60 without any heart disease. Do you think that's a rational/possible goal?

Old 12-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
    atengnr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

atengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB Useratengnr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dantescritic View Post
    thanks aten, ive read that for people 50+ with untreated hypertension life is reduced by five years. Although, I also haven't found any evaluating statistics for people our age.

Is it just possible that these people who develop hypertension at 50+ have really just have high blood pressure since young age and not known it? Remember, before 1980 hypertension was classified as anything about 150/100, surely there must have been a number of 145/90, 140/85 that were actually hypertensive and should have been under treatment? Anyway, just speculation on my part there.

So, does a hypertensive that is lets say 140-150/80-90 that exercises, minimizes sodium etc have a better life-expectancy than a couch potato that is obese, doesnt exercise and runs 170-180's-100's all the time? Also could you speculate on exactly how many years hypertension will take of our lives? It's a pretty stressful subject for me, and doesn't help that I suffer from horrid anxiety. But i'd at least like to get some feedback.

I'd be happy to reach 50-60 without any heart disease. Do you think that's a rational/possible goal?
    Well, perhaps some of the older group was diagnosed late, but the loss of compliance of the vasculature with age is associated with hypertension in older age....So, I think that the vast majority of these people had normal blood pressure in their youth.

Surely, someone with hypertension not controlling their BP is going to be worse off than someone who takes medication to control the BP. Someone running in the 180s/100s is going to be at very high risk of cardiovascular issues down the road, while someone with controlled numbers is only at mildly increased risk.

I dont think one could easily characterize the loss of life expectancy for you and I. Is your BP under 140/90???

Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
    realazy
    (male)

realazy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dantescritic View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy is of a male who gets hypertension at age 20-25?

Both treated and untreated, thank you.
    There are some articles on this out there, but the bottom line is that life expectancy will return to normal if your BP is well controlled. This was confirmed by my hypertension doctor too.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
    Gojoe
    (male)

Gojoe HB UserGojoe HB User

Dantescritic,
    I was diagnosed in my early 20's with readings of 145-150/90-95. I didn't take the meds that were prescribed and by the time I was in my early 40's my pressure was running 190-200 or so over 110 and I had permanent heart damage. I'm now in my 50's, on meds for both my heart and blood pressure. My doc told me that untreated the average life expectancy is around 20 years before something goes seriously wrong, so the whole point is to keep the numbers low.

Closed Thread