It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Another Atenolol Post

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
    creamcheese
    (female)

creamcheese HB User
    Another Atenolol Post

Hello;

Today I started weaning myself off Atenolol. I started taking 25 mg daily, back in October and almost immediately began having side effects, one being swelling of my hands and feet. I made other lifestyle changes around the same time, so I was having a hard time pinpointing where the swelling was coming from. My doctor just kinda blew it off.

I have eliminated just about everything else that could be causing the swelling and have determined it can only be from this drug. I have a doctor's appointment in 2 weeks and was going to wait until then, but decided last night that I wasn't waiting.

Some days I feel so bad. This swelling is horrible! Some days are better than others. My joints and muscles hurt so bad that I have tears in my eyes at times. My body feels and looks bloated. I'm so tired of feeling this way. I need to do something about it and this is as good a time as any.

I read quite a few threads here about Atenolol but if anybody has anything else to add, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
    Re: Another Atenolol Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by creamcheese View Post
    Hello;

Today I started weaning myself off Atenolol. ... Some days I feel so bad. This swelling is horrible! ... My joints and muscles hurt so bad that I have tears in my eyes at times. My body feels and looks bloated.
    Hello creamcheese! I hope you are feeling better and that the weaning process isn't too hard on you!

The doctor put you on blood pressure medication. Was he wrong or right about doing that?

You said that you have made lifestyle changes. I assume that you went to a healthier diet and possibly added an exercise program. What were the effects of your lifestyle changes on your blood pressure? Did your lifestyle changes make it possible for you to go without blood pressure medication?

I'm 70 and I've struggled with heart failure, permanent atrial fibrillation and chronically high blood pressure since 1987. In 1998, my health got so bad that I decided that I was going to take my blood pressure into my own hands and figure out how bad it was, and do something about it on my own, if I could.

From 1998 thru 2010 I took my blood pressure an average of 7 times per day and night, or about 31000 times. I found out how bad it was, and thru lifestyle and environmental changes, I've gotten my blood pressure down to healthy levels 24 hours per day, month after month, year after year.

I don't suggest that you follow the same "extreme" path that I did, but, if you haven't already, you might want to start tracking your blood pressure a little closer to see if you really need to be on any blood pressure medication, and if so, can you get by with a very small dose with lesser side effects.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 05-30-2013 at 12:31 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
    creamcheese (05-30-2013),Voxx976 (06-02-2013)
    Old 05-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
    creamcheese
    (female)

creamcheese HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    Hello creamcheese! I hope you are feeling better and that the weaning process isn't too hard on you!

The doctor put you on blood pressure medication. Was he wrong or right about doing that?

You said that you have made lifestyle changes. I assume that you went to a healthier diet and possibly added an exercise program. What were the effects of your lifestyle changes on your blood pressure? Did your lifestyle changes make it possible for you to go without blood pressure medication?

I'm 70 and I've struggled with heart failure, permanent atrial fibrillation and chronically high blood pressure since 1987. In 1998, my health got so bad that I decided that I was going to take my blood pressure into my own hands and figure out how bad it was, and do something about it on my own, if I could.

From 1998 thru 2010 I took my blood pressure an average of 7 times per day and night, or about 31000 times. I found out how bad it was, and thru lifestyle and environmental changes, I've gotten my blood pressure down to healthy levels 24 hours per day, month after month, year after year.

I don't suggest that you follow the same "extreme" path that I did, but, if you haven't already, you might want to start tracking your blood pressure a little closer to see if you really need to be on any blood pressure medication, and if so, can you get by with a very small dose with lesser side effects.
    Thanks for the reply, Machaon.

Today was the first day I took 1/2 dose of the Atenolol. I will see how this goes.

I have been on BP meds for quite some time, currently taking Losartan. Dr added the Atenolol back in October. It was actually that appointment, the conversation with him, and the added medication that prompted me to quit smoking. I was a heavy smoker for 40+ years and am now 7 months smoke free.

Within a few weeks, I was feeling so much better, not only physically but also mentally, that I went all out. I began exercise class 3 times a week and then walking at the mall on the weekend. I also went on the "mail order" diet which is highly advertised. This was such a turn around for me in every aspect!

I began having side effects and weird symptoms almost immediately but brushed them off or attributed them to other things, ie, the tiredness was from the time change, the soreness and achy feeling were from the exercising. I kept at it for a few months until I couldn't stand it anymore. I finally went to the doctor who suggested I slow down and just take things easy. I went off the diet and quit the exercising.

Things are better but certainly not the way they were before I started all this! I'm tired, achy and still have the swelling. I have been reading everything I can find on anything even closely related to what I am experiencing.

I'm just so tired of feeling this way!

Last edited by creamcheese; 05-30-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Auto correct inputed wrong word

The following user gives a hug of support to creamcheese:
    hikingthetrail3 (07-27-2013)
    Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
    amie843
    (female)

amie843 HB User

Hi creamcheese,

Since we are weaning off of Atenolol at the same time, I thought I would check in and see how it's going for you. How are you?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
    creamcheese
    (female)

creamcheese HB User

Hi amie;

Sorry I missed your post. How are things going?

Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
    ScrappyOT
    (female)

ScrappyOT HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post

I am also 70 years old. I was put on atenolol about 1997 or 1978 secondary to increased blood pressure secondary to a stressful job. I also was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started gaining weight. A few years ago I was also started on Losartan (Cozaar) for hypertension. In November 2013 I was diagnosed with stage one breast cancer and treated with lumpectomy and 5 days of accelerated radiation and started on a 5 year course of Arimidex (estrogen suppressant). In January I was also diagnosed with diabetes 2 and high cholesterol. My doctor emanated to put me on statins and I refused after doing a lot of reading a lot and decided I needed to make a major lifestyle change since all of my diagnosis were interrelated. I changed my diet, started exercising at the local YMCA and found the aqua classes (Monday through Friday) to be the most helpful. I also read an article that atenolol contributes to memory loss among other side effects. I slowly weaned off Atenolol and found I had more energy. In May, 4 1/2 months after I started my lifestyle change I lost 24 lbs, now 30 lbs, changed clothing sizes 2-3 sizes smaller, (5 inches of belly fat), my HGA1c fell 1 percentage point (6.8% to 5.8%) and my cholesterols had come into normal range ( triglycerides fell 76 points). I take my blood pressure every day with a high quality blood pressure cuff and it is constantly under 120/ 80 and the new guidelines are 139/89. The only time it goes up is when I am at the medical offices and they do not follow the blood pressure reading protocols (sitting for 10 minutes, etc). I stay on Losartan because is it good for kidney functioning if one has diabetes 2. I really feel the atenolol contributed to many of the problems I had prior to going off of it: lack of energy (shortness of breath and lethargy) and no desire to exercise which led to weight gain, etc.; fogging cognition at times, and it really didn't help with blood pressure. I did an average of 38 readings at the MD's office over 7 years and the average was 124/76 (with some highs of 145/80) and now just being on Losartan and exercising, etc it is consistently under 120/80. And my life is so much better.

The following user gives a hug of support to ScrappyOT:
    Machaon (09-20-2014)
    Old 12-18-2015, 01:22 AM   #7
    Zasame
    (male)

Zasame HB User

I think that is why they auto add in water pills with beta blockers.Problem is that will dry out your kidneys so then they cover that up by saying drink lots of fluid.

I have Asthma and real bad kidneys,i should have never been on beta blockers but of course the yare the best pill at controlling HBP but they are so powerful blocking certain receptors the heart needs to function properly that your bp will actually go too low even though they like to brush off 90/50 as "i'm ok with that attitude".

Problem with that Atenolol or any Beta Blocker i have been on several is they lock your heart down so when yo uneed a higher heart rate,more blood flood it does not keep up with the need,then your vitals drop right down low.

I have measured with mild dizziness symptoms a BP of 75/30 ,so i can just imagine how low the readings get when i am having serious issues.Problem is when i have serious issues i am not near by BP machine.

That is how numbers become tainted,if you are a sit around doing nothing person,you won't notice much of a problem other than maybe some tightness in chest and tight breathing.Most people are in those problems because they ae not active and many are elderly that are also not very active.

P{oint being i bet the majority of active ,like very active people will notice serious side effects fro mBeta Blockers.SO you want to try everything yo ucan to avoid Beta Blockers but sadly they also seem to work the best.

IMO pretty lame way to lower BP by lowering your normal vitals and heart function to do it.

Closed Thread

Tags
    atenolol, swelling