It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

  • Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
    Voxx976
    Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2012
    Location: New York City
    Posts: 319
    Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Bit the bullet...hope I'm not getting too boring.

    I did 12.5-12.5 atenolol yesterday noon and midnight along with 10 mg. zolpidem (Ambien) and slept until 6 AM.

    Walked a couple miles yesterday with no heart problems, no palps only a sore knee.

    So I will try the 12.5-12.5 regimen for the next week, hopefully losing the zolpidem. I don't want to replace one addiction with another.

    Managed to get my heart rate up to 90 for the first time in months using a stationary bike for 10 minutes.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 07-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
    Belkeys
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Belkeys's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2013
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 27
    Belkeys HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Hi Dova08401,
    I take the Ativan as needed when I feel the anxiety coming on. I am trying to not take it and go with the flow but it is not easy. I am feeling better since being Atenolol free 23 days now. I am hoping to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am finally sleeping until 3:30 or 4 am and then up watching On Demand. I am trying meditation and exercise now, hoping that will help. I am able to go out the house to do some errands but I am back home within an hour because the anxiety starts to kick in while I'm at the store or in the mall. I can't wait to get back to normal. How are you doing? Let me know. Keep in touch. Let's all hang in there. I have been told it does get better.

     
    Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
    Belkeys
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Belkeys's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2013
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 27
    Belkeys HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Hi Voxx976
    You are not boring. Hang in there...

     
    Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #19
    Voxx976
    Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2012
    Location: New York City
    Posts: 319
    Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belkeys View Post
    Hi Voxx976
    You are not boring. Hang in there...
    Thank you Belkeys.
    So yesterday was 12.5-12.5 and NO Ambien and I managed to sleep until 5: 30AM...that is tolerable (although who wouldn't prefer 7AM?)

    I guess I will stay here for a while because I cannot imagine trying to dice these pills down to 6.25mg without pulverizing them.

    My next step down, hopefully in a week, will have to be a single dose of 12.5 at midnight. Maybe I'll even try it tonight if I get brave.

    These pills should have a warning label on them saying:
    WARNING: SEVERE DANGER OF ADDICTION
    But I guess those warnings are reserved for drugs that make you feel GOOD.

    Last edited by Voxx976; 07-14-2013 at 05:16 AM.

     
    Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
    Voxx976
    Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2012
    Location: New York City
    Posts: 319
    Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    So 7/15 I did ONE dose of 12.5 mg. atenolol.
    Now 7/16, 30 hours from that last dose and the world hasn't ended yet. My resting heart rate has come up to 60 BMP, a level I am comfortable with and a lot safer than 45.
    I went to the gym, hoping to burn off any excess adrenaline and did 12 minutes on the bike...getting HR to 105 (haven't seen that high for months.) Also did light curls, flies and presses...20 of each, shortest workout of my life.

    Systolic up to 139 but I won't let that bother me. I have decided that higher BP's stimulate collateral circulation that can be lifesaving in case of an MI (like the one I had 13 days ago.)

    I know I am taking this faster than I originally was going to but in the event of untoward symptoms, palps, high heart rate, etc. the atenolol is already cut into 12.5's and sitting next to the computer.
    Maybe I'll luck out and not need them.

    My only REAL bother in waning so far has been miserably short nights' sleep.
    I seem to make up for it with an hour's afternoon nap.


    amie,
    How are you doing?


    Belkeys,
    Yeah, thank God (and Verizon) for On Demand!
    When I got out of the hospital I watched 10 hours of THE BORGIAS in 2 days.

    Last edited by Voxx976; 07-16-2013 at 01:12 PM.

     
    Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
    dova08401
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    dova08401's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Location: CAPE MAY
    Posts: 14
    dova08401 HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Belkeys...i been fealin alil better... the anxiety hasent been as bad, but its still there alil... i was takin xanax as needed.. but really just a hafe a pill a day, but i also stopped that for the last 2 days... cause i dont need another thing to have to get off. im finally eating again,,, i had lost 25 pounds in 3 weeks, not that, that was a bad thing i could stand to lose some weight but not this way... atenolol should be takin off the market and everybody that has to go threw what we went threw is in my prayers.. please stay in contact,,, so we can update each other, and with good news we can give each other hope of gettin threw this... stay strong

     
    Old 07-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
    Belkeys
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Belkeys's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2013
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 27
    Belkeys HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Hello Voxx976,
    Well I am on day 27...Atenolol free (yea)...still have anxiety off and on but doing much better. I am on day 4...Ativan free...just don't like taking these pills and plus it is Ativan or maybe the Atenolol (side effect) effecting my legs. I was told it is anxiety and it's only fear. As for the shortness of breath...told it GERD...silent reflux. So I have to change my eating habits, No, tomatoes, onions, garlic, orange juice, sodas, peppers,spicy foods, and stay clear from fruits high in acid. Eat lots of green leafy veggies, chicken, turkey, limit red meat, sweet potatoes, melons, bananas, etc. There goes my strawberry and blueberry smoothies So, I am on day 2 of that regimen and it seems to be working. I am feeling a difference hope it last. My b/p is ranging around 150/89, 140's, 139, bottom number around 89-82. So I am happy about that but pulse can be anywhere around 80-95. I still get that adrenaline rush that is scary so I try not to panick to bring the anxiety on.
    Anyway, how are doing? Glad to hear about down to 12.5..Hang in there. Keep me posted.

     
    Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
    Belkeys
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Belkeys's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2013
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 27
    Belkeys HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Hi Dova08401, I have stop taking the Ativan four days again also. I am feeling better but still having anxiety off and on. My legs sometimes feels like jelly and I was told that is anxiety. Yes, we have to keep in touch. I agree Atenolol should be taken off the market. It is something else. I have to return back to work on August 13th and I hope to be feeling better. Hang in there. It's going to get better.

     
    Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
    dova08401
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    dova08401's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Location: CAPE MAY
    Posts: 14
    dova08401 HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belkeys View Post
    Hello Voxx976,
    Well I am on day 27...Atenolol free (yea)...still have anxiety off and on but doing much better. I am on day 4...Ativan free...just don't like taking these pills and plus it is Ativan or maybe the Atenolol (side effect) effecting my legs. I was told it is anxiety and it's only fear. As for the shortness of breath...told it GERD...silent reflux. So I have to change my eating habits, No, tomatoes, onions, garlic, orange juice, sodas, peppers,spicy foods, and stay clear from fruits high in acid. Eat lots of green leafy veggies, chicken, turkey, limit red meat, sweet potatoes, melons, bananas, etc. There goes my strawberry and blueberry smoothies So, I am on day 2 of that regimen and it seems to be working. I am feeling a difference hope it last. My b/p is ranging around 150/89, 140's, 139, bottom number around 89-82. So I am happy about that but pulse can be anywhere around 80-95. I still get that adrenaline rush that is scary so I try not to panick to bring the anxiety on.
    Anyway, how are doing? Glad to hear about down to 12.5..Hang in there. Keep me posted.
    how long did u take the ativan and what was ur dosage... i took xanax for one month, and tried to stop now im having anxiety and insomina from that... or it could be the atenolol withdrawal still...idk..... please let me know....

     
    Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #25
    Belkeys
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Belkeys's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2013
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 27
    Belkeys HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Hi Dova08401,
    I was only taking the Ativan (0.5 mg) as needed. During the time when I stop the Atenolol I took the Ativan for about a week because the anxiety was really bad and then maybe every other day for an additional week in a half and then tapered off down to now 5 days Ativan free. So I am still having the same problem anxiety and insomnia. What was ur dosage?

    Last edited by Belkeys; 07-18-2013 at 02:36 AM. Reason: forgot to add last sentence

     
    Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #26
    Voxx976
    Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2012
    Location: New York City
    Posts: 319
    Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Hi Belkeys and dova,

    Well, it is 72 hours off atenolol and I feel pretty terrific...there are benefits to having a proper heart rate and a little adrenaline to get some OOOMPH into life.
    I have taken diazepam (Valium) 10 mg. the last two nights to help with the sleep issue...the insomnia is still there and I made it from midnight to 6 which is an improvement. Every hour or so I have a single HARD heartbeat/palp which still gets my attention.

    May I recommend diazepam over Ativan (lorazapam) for you guys. It has a MUCH longer half life and won't give you the terrifying rebound anxiety that lorazapam or alprazolam does. It's much steadier anxiety control.

    Quote:
    Xanax has a half life of 6-20 hours while Ativan has a half life of 10-20 hours. This means that your body gets rid of both of these medications relatively quickly. By comparison, Valium, another popular benzodiazepine, has a half life of 20-100 hours.
    It seems I am burning more calories and it is nioce that the heart chooses fatty acids as it's fuel of choice but alas, absent the atenolol, my appetite is increasing. Dammit...you can't win.

    Tonight I will try a late gym workout to tire me out, being careful of my recent heart work, and I will skip the diazepam and see if I can sleep well enough.
    I don't mind waking at 5AM, but 3AM is not tolerable. I've run out of On Demand, but I guess there's always Netlflix streaming.

    I anticipate never taking another atenolol as long as I live.

    Last edited by Voxx976; 07-18-2013 at 07:14 AM.

     
    Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
    dova08401
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    dova08401's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Location: CAPE MAY
    Posts: 14
    dova08401 HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belkeys View Post
    Hi Dova08401,
    I was only taking the Ativan (0.5 mg) as needed. During the time when I stop the Atenolol I took the Ativan for about a week because the anxiety was really bad and then maybe every other day for an additional week in a half and then tapered off down to now 5 days Ativan free. So I am still having the same problem anxiety and insomnia. What was ur dosage?
    im percribed 1mg two times a day... but i never took that much i usally only take a hafe of one.. like u .5mg aday... but i stopped for 2 days now and just trying to suffer threw the anxiety and insomnia... cause i took it for a month and dont wanna get withdrawal when i stop that and i also wanna beat this on my own... not wit meds forever,,, but if it getts real bad i do have it...... please keep me updated since were so close together in stopping atenolol....

     
    Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #28
    dova08401
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    dova08401's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Location: CAPE MAY
    Posts: 14
    dova08401 HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voxx976 View Post
    Hi Belkeys and dova,

    Well, it is 72 hours off atenolol and I feel pretty terrific...there are benefits to having a proper heart rate and a little adrenaline to get some OOOMPH into life.
    I have taken diazepam (Valium) 10 mg. the last two nights to help with the sleep issue...the insomnia is still there and I made it from midnight to 6 which is an improvement. Every hour or so I have a single HARD heartbeat/palp which still gets my attention.

    May I recommend diazepam over Ativan (lorazapam) for you guys. It has a MUCH longer half life and won't give you the terrifying rebound anxiety that lorazapam or alprazolam does. It's much steadier anxiety control.



    It seems I am burning more calories and it is nioce that the heart chooses fatty acids as it's fuel of choice but alas, absent the atenolol, my appetite is increasing. Dammit...you can't win.

    Tonight I will try a late gym workout to tire me out, being careful of my recent heart work, and I will skip the diazepam and see if I can sleep well enough.
    I don't mind waking at 5AM, but 3AM is not tolerable. I've run out of On Demand, but I guess there's always Netlflix streaming.

    I anticipate never taking another atenolol as long as I live.
    hope things are going good for u... besides the insomnia have u had any anxiety??? i been off atenolol for one month now and still got anxiety, and insomina,,, i was only on atenolol for one month,,, good luck and keep us updated... alll atenolol sufferer's are in my prayers!!!

     
    Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
    Belkeys
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Belkeys's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2013
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 27
    Belkeys HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Hello Dova08401, 29 days Atenolol and 6 Ativan free (yea)still have anxiety and insomnia. Can't wait until it gets better. Taking day by day. Went out of the house today, my legs felt better just a slight tremble but I went with it. Having trouble with dry mouth...bought some Biotene oral rinse it helps. Now I am having trouble with my sinuses...when it rains it pours...UGHHHH. I was told again it is my GERD acid reflex and of course ANXIETY. Last night I was quietly watching On Demand when I felt it coming on (anxiety)...OMG...here we go again...It last for about 15 minutes but it felt like an hour but I did not run for the pill and went with it...very hard and only got about 4 hours of sleep. Yes,...we have to keep in touch.

     
    Old 07-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #30
    dova08401
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    dova08401's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2013
    Location: CAPE MAY
    Posts: 14
    dova08401 HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belkeys View Post
    Hello Dova08401, 29 days Atenolol and 6 Ativan free (yea)still have anxiety and insomnia. Can't wait until it gets better. Taking day by day. Went out of the house today, my legs felt better just a slight tremble but I went with it. Having trouble with dry mouth...bought some Biotene oral rinse it helps. Now I am having trouble with my sinuses...when it rains it pours...UGHHHH. I was told again it is my GERD acid reflex and of course ANXIETY. Last night I was quietly watching On Demand when I felt it coming on (anxiety)...OMG...here we go again...It last for about 15 minutes but it felt like an hour but I did not run for the pill and went with it...very hard and only got about 4 hours of sleep. Yes,...we have to keep in touch.
    FOR THE INSOMNIA, I EAT A BOWL OF CERIAL, BEFOR BED AND I DRINK WARM MILK,,, FOR SOME REASON THAT HAS HELPED,,, I HAVE BEEN ALSO DRINKN SLEEPYTIME XTRA TEA WHICH REALLY RELAXS ME,,, IT HAS SOMETHING CALLED valerain INIT WHICH RELAXS U... GOOGLE SLEPPYTIME XTRA REVIEWS SO MANY PEOPLE GIVE IT GREAT REVIEWS,,,

     
    Closed Thread

    Tags
    atenolol, dreams, insomnia, nightmares, withdrawal



    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:41 AM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!