It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #31
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User
    Question Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

I HATE ATENOLOL!!!

I started taking it on April 19 after having some bad tachycardia. I took 25 mg and woke up feeling so terrible. I was so dizzy and my legs were like pins and needles. After that I took 12.5 mg 2x a day. I still felt dizzy all the time. I later cut down to 6.25 mg 2x a day and then to 1x a day. I still felt dizzy. I tapered down even more, to just dust. I have been off since June 29.

For two weeks I felt dizzy, had some rebound tachycardia, and tingling. I have now been off for 3 weeks and I still have bad circulation in my hands and feet. I had blood drawn to rule out hyperthyroidism and the vein in my hand collapsed. I ended up having 3 needles in me to get out 4 vials of blood. (I moved due to the 1st needle).

I had myself checked out at the ER July 2. I had an EKG that was normal. The blood tests were normal.

I still don't sleep and my right leg falls asleep at night. The coldness in my hands and feet are gone now.

I wonder how much longer it will take to feel normal again.

BTW, I think my initial tachycardia was caused from taking Benadryl to sleep every night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #32
    Belkeys
    (female)

Belkeys HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal and Nightmares/Dreams/Insomnia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hikingthetrail3 View Post
    I HATE ATENOLOL!!!

I started taking it on April 19 after having some bad tachycardia. I took 25 mg and woke up feeling so terrible. I was so dizzy and my legs were like pins and needles. After that I took 12.5 mg 2x a day. I still felt dizzy all the time. I later cut down to 6.25 mg 2x a day and then to 1x a day. I still felt dizzy. I tapered down even more, to just dust. I have been off since June 29.

For two weeks I felt dizzy, had some rebound tachycardia, and tingling. I have now been off for 3 weeks and I still have bad circulation in my hands and feet. I had blood drawn to rule out hyperthyroidism and the vein in my hand collapsed. I ended up having 3 needles in me to get out 4 vials of blood. (I moved due to the 1st needle).

I had myself checked out at the ER July 2. I had an EKG that was normal. The blood tests were normal.

I still don't sleep and my right leg falls asleep at night. The coldness in my hands and feet are gone now.

I wonder how much longer it will take to feel normal again.

BTW, I think my initial tachycardia was caused from taking Benadryl to sleep every night.

Last edited by Belkeys; 07-22-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #33
    Belkeys
    (female)

Belkeys HB User

Dear hikingthetrail3
    Hang in there. I heard it gets better. I have been off of Atenolol for a month now and I am feeling a lot better compared to the first two weeks. Only having problems with anxiety and insomnia. Are u experiencing any anxiety? Keep me posted.

Last edited by Belkeys; 07-22-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #34
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User

I have not been sleeping well, and yes, my anxiety is through the roof. I worry about my health, especially my heart. I had 3 EKGs done this year that were normal. I just keep thinking about my heart. It's mostly because this atenolol keeps my circulation in my arms and legs being not as good as it could be. I hate it.
    I keep telling myself that if my heart was going to stop from atenolol, it would have happened already.
    I went to pick blueberries today with my mother. I couldn't wait to get back in the car and go home. I felt so numb and tingly when bending down to get the berries. It was very hot too. It is so unusual for me, I love picking berries.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #35
    dova08401
    (male)

dova08401 HB User

man the anxiety wont go away... some days its good others are horrable.. like today... i wake up with morning anxiety,i still am having dreams every night, sometimes im dreamin when i aint even all the way asleep... i havent takin any xanax in 5 days, but i did take it for a month but only a hafe a pill a day,i stoped takin that because all the horror stories i read about gettin off that... and i have to work like this which is the worst,,, does anybody know how long it takes to feel normal??? befor atenolol i had no problems,,,,

Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #36
    Belkeys
    (female)

Belkeys HB User

Hello Dova,
    I understand what you are going through. I am going through it to. I was told it gets better. I am doing meditation, exercises, and eating foods that help tackle anxiety.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #37
    dova08401
    (male)

dova08401 HB User

what are u eating???

Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #38
    Belkeys
    (female)

Belkeys HB User

Hello Dova,
    I am eating oatmeal, bananas, apples, carrots, green leafy vegetables, eggs, turkey, chicken, yogurt, lentils, fish, brown rice, 100% whole grain breads, nuts and seeds. Drink 8 glasses of water daily. NO refine sugars, caffeine. I drink chamomile tea every night.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #39
    Belkeys
    (female)

Belkeys HB User

Hello Dova,
    How are you feeling today? I felt a little under the weather today. Anxiety came on this evening did some exercises...UGHH! Can't wait to become normal again.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #40
    dova08401
    (male)

dova08401 HB User

mild anxiety... but i know its there... went out bought oatmeal, blue berries, bananas, brown suger, almonds,,, drank water... lol... idk,,, hopefully it goes away soon, i did have nightmares last night, so i woke up with anxiety,,, i also bought... magnesum.. and b.complex.. vitamines.. and epsoms salt to take a bath.. im try'n everything.. also i drink sleepy time xtra.. tea at night, and warm milk... but i refuse to take any other med!!!!!!

Last edited by dova08401; 07-23-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #41
    Belkeys
    (female)

Belkeys HB User

Hi Dova,
    I have notice a difference since changing my diet. The anxiety still comes but mild. I just want it to go away. Also, I just started magnesium and b complex, I hope it helps. Hang in there. You are not alone. Please keep in touch.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #42
    Belkeys
    (female)

Belkeys HB User

Hello Voxx,
    How are you doing? Hope all is well.

Last edited by Belkeys; 07-24-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #43
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User

I hope everyone here is feeling better. I didn't mean to hijack this thread for a bit, but I really needed to rant about Atenolol. I am 3 1/2 weeks off. My cold is mostly gone now, but I still cough a little. My circulation is still off, but it is getting better. My right leg didn't fall asleep last night like it has been for a while. I still am tired a lot, but I don't sleep well. I am starting Valerian and it does make me sleepy. Valerian is a good herb.

I need to NOT worry about my heart, but it's hard not to do it. I keep trying to talk myself out of fears.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #44
    dova08401
    (male)

dova08401 HB User

hikingthetrail3... HOW ABOUT ANXIETY... HAVE U HAD ANY ANXIETY, THAT SEEMS TO BE THE MAIN ISSUE IV HAD SINCE STOPPING ATENOLOL

Old 07-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #45
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User

Anxiety is bad. I had some heart flutters recently.

Closed Thread

Tags
    atenolol, dreams, insomnia, nightmares, withdrawal