It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Atenolol Fatigue

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User
    Atenolol Fatigue

I was on atenolol for 2 months. I kept cutting down since I started. I got on it because I had a bad SVT and my pulse went up to 168. I have been off it for a month today. My circulation is mostly back now. I am thankful for that. I still have some episodes of tingling and pain. My right leg fell asleep at night, but thankfully that hasn't happened for a few nights.

I am still ALWAYS TIRED. I know I don't sleep well. I still feel weak and tired. I try laying down during the day. I get headaches, especially when I get up.

Thankfully the tachycardia was gone after a week. I haven't had it at all.

I think the initial tachycardia was from taking Benadryl every night for many months for allergies and sleep.

I just wonder when this fatigue will go away. My anxiety level is high, but I'm trying to calm down more. I just want to feel good again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Atenolol Fatigue

Atenolol wears off in about 24 hrs. so your fatigue has to be from something else. I would suggest getting your thyroid checked, a CBC for anemia, and consider the possibility of sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is very common, makes you feel like you sleep poorly, and causes chronic daytime fatigue. Clues to that are snoring, gasping or noisy breathing during sleep, and your sleep partner may even be aware that you stop breathing in your sleep.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #3
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User

I have had my blood checked and my thyroid as well this month. My thyroid is fine and my blood is normal. I am not sure I have sleep apnea.
    I have been off Atenolol for 4 weeks yesterday. I did have a bad head and chest cold for a while after getting off. Last week I had my period. I guess that hasn't helped me get over Atenolol. I had terrible side effects.
    I can try for more testing if I am not completely better soon enough.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

A good, quick, easy screening for sleep apnea is a nocturnal pulse oximetry reading. It measures your oxygen saturation all night, and if you have apnea, it will show dips in oxygen level during the apnea spells. If that happens, then you can follow up with a full sleep study for more detail. I would definitely recommend it. The oximetry test is done at home, very easy but informative.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User

Thank you. I will look into that.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User

4 weeks off and I rarely have tingling. I am still exhausted all the time though. I get headaches on and off. The dizziness has gotten better. I have had a few flutters with my heart yesterday, but they were only for a few moments.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User

Today I actually woke up without a headache.

I still have anxiety. I know I worry about my heart. I'm trying not to though. I haven't had very high blood pressure. It's either been normal, or slightly elevated at times. I also have had normal bloodwork. I had 3 EKGs this year that were normal, and 3 or 4 doctors or nurses listened to my heart and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

So yes, I have to quit worrying about my heart.

I am trying to get more sleep. The anxiety has been keeping me awake, but I have to talk myself out of these fears and just live.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User

Today and yesterday I had some headaches, but they didn't last long. I still feel very tired. I sleep on and off. I am hoping it's still from the Atenolol. I have been off five weeks now. My circulation is back to normal now. I'm so thankful for that.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
    hikingthetrail3
    (female)

hikingthetrail3 HB User

I will be off for 7 weeks on Saturday. I am still very tired all the time. I am not sleeping well, and that may be the main culprit, rather than the Atenolol now. I still get mild headaches, mostly after waking up.
    I am thinking of telling my doctor about all this.

I haven't had any heart flutters today and yesterday. I am thankful for that. I used to have them once or twice a day.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, atenolol, fatigue, insomnia