It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• High BP - please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
    matts767
    (male)

matts767 HB User
    High BP - please help!

I have been to the doctor several times in the past year and a half (feeling exhausted and lightheaded). The highest my BP had been in that time was 122/80. They never found anything wrong.

A little over a week ago I went to the doctor for sever arm and neck pain and surprisingly, my BP was 176/118 (pulse was 94). My doctor freaked out and put me on Atenolol (I'm only 37, weight & cholesterol are fine, and have no history of high blood pressure). After 5 days, my BP did not go down, so the doctor had me double the dose. 4 days later, my BP went down to 154/115 and the doctor told me to take 3 pills a day. He checked kidneys TSH, and PTH, but everything seems to come back "normal." Every night my arms kill me and I have a stiff neck and still have all the other problems (exhaustion, vision problems, hearing problems/tinnitus for the past 3 months).

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this sudden change in BP and what I could check for? Yes, the doctors should be checking this stuff, but my healthcare is pathetic at best (but it's the only one my employer offers). I also have to pay a high co-pay for visits and get a high bill for lab work, so I need to make it count. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my quality of life has deteriorated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
    martini58
    (female)

martini58 HB User
    Re: High BP - please help!

Please have your carotid arteries checked. If you are having blackouts in one eye or visual problems...there is a good chance you have plaque in your carotid arteries. My husband had this problem and he had to have surgery. BTW I hate atenolol...i'm on that med and it has caused me a lot of problems, but it might be just the thing for you. Never try to get off of it...you must taper that drug or get another beta blocker like propranalol...this is what the doc put my husband on.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-11-2014 at 04:48 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to martini58 For This Useful Post:
    matts767 (11-09-2013)
    Old 11-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
    flitz
    Inactive
    (male)

flitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB User

it is kind of impossible to speculate what is wrong with you since your symptoms can be caused by enumerable health issues, some serious others not. Your doctor's initial tests are the usual and would reveal the more obvious issues. Blood pressure is responsive to pain, infection, inflammation and emotional stress as well as all the other more noteable things. Carotid blockage doesn't cause tinitus or hearing issues and is easy to determine with a stethesacope followed by an ultrasound. Further tests could reveal sinus issues, brain or other neurological issues, renal issues, hormonal issues or infection by a virus or bacteria, fungus or parasite. You can only let your doctor keep on with the doctoring regardless of your personal expense and if he doesn't seem to be on the ball, so to speak, go to another one. Beta blockers are rarely used as an initial blood pressure med but since your heart rate was elevated I can only guess your doctor wanted to use them. There are ccb drugs that can also lower heart rate that may be more effective without side effects. Hypertension can be primary or secondary to other issues or conditions. The lines between diagnosing essential versus secondary hypertension are not purely clear cut, so following through to find out if you have tendon damage to your neck, scapula or shoulder, a sinus infection or allergic inflammation or a brain tumor or MS is a good idea. Treating your bp as primary is another and they aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-11-2014 at 04:50 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to flitz For This Useful Post:
    matts767 (11-09-2013)
    Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
    matts767
    (male)

matts767 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I did some blood work and everything came back fine, but my 24-hour urine collection came back with abnormalities. My doctor thinks I may have pheochromocytoma and referred me to an endocrinologist. This isn't the first time that an adrenal problem been suggested, so I'm hoping we find something here. Not sure if that could cause some of the other issues, but definitely the fatigue and high BP. I'll keep this thread updated with the results

Last edited by Administrator; 02-11-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    high blood pressure, pain, tests normal