It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Atenolol 25mg

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
    GrandadRog
    (male)

GrandadRog HB User
    Atenolol 25mg

Several years ago I thought that I had heart disease and/or angina. Two years ago I had an angiogram which confirmed that my arteries were totally clear of any build up of plaque and that I most certainly did NOT have heart disease. Terrific news!
    However, I still needed treatment for my BP.
    So, I am currently being treated for high blood pressure and am on 5mg Ramipril and 25mg Atenolol.
    I know that the Atenolol has a marked effect on my heart rate and my blood pressure. The Ramipril, I think has a lessor effect on lowering BP and heart rate, but does have an effect of protecting the kidneys against the evils of the Atenolol, so I believe.
    I have been on these medications...probably 5 years for the Atenolol and the Ramipril.
    Recently I have had a tightness in my chest area. Feels more like in my chest bone (wishbone?) or the muscles around the bone.
    I have given up smoking after about 50 years of puffing my way through 25 or 30 fags a day. So thought maybe it was the beginning of lung problems. X-Rays have indicated clear lungs!
    I have also developed a constant mild headache, mild unsteadyness and dizzyness and generally feeling unwell.
    My doctor and I decided to find out whether it was the Atenolol or the Ramipril which was causing the problems. He suggested that I continue to take the Ramipril and stop taking the Atenolol altogether. This I did on Friday 8 November 2013. Saturday I felt great and Sunday even better. My usual BP when taking both the Ramipril and the Atenolol is mid 130s/75 and a heart rate of 70 to 75.
    By Monday morning 11/11/2013 I felt awful and quite scared. My BP was at 170/82 and my heart rate at 109 and climbing. I thought, "That's it, experiment over!" and I took half a Atenolol.
    Within an hour my BP was down to 147/75 and heart rate was 85 by mid-day my BP was 131/73 and heart rate of 77. However, the side effects were back.
    So it would appear that I am hooked on Beta Blockers and that it would be at my peril to try and stop taking them. Has anyone else had these problems and has anyone been prescribed a new/different Beta Blocker to Atenolol that has had less/lower side effects?
    Any help/advice would be welcomed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
    flitz
    Inactive
    (male)

flitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB Userflitz HB User
    Re: Atenolol 25mg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrandadRog View Post
    Several years ago I thought that I had heart disease and/or angina. Two years ago I had an angiogram which confirmed that my arteries were totally clear of any build up of plaque and that I most certainly did NOT have heart disease. Terrific news!
    However, I still needed treatment for my BP.
    So, I am currently being treated for high blood pressure and am on 5mg Ramipril and 25mg Atenolol.
    I know that the Atenolol has a marked effect on my heart rate and my blood pressure. The Ramipril, I think has a lessor effect on lowering BP and heart rate, but does have an effect of protecting the kidneys against the evils of the Atenolol, so I believe.
    I have been on these medications...probably 5 years for the Atenolol and the Ramipril.
    Recently I have had a tightness in my chest area. Feels more like in my chest bone (wishbone?) or the muscles around the bone.
    I have given up smoking after about 50 years of puffing my way through 25 or 30 fags a day. So thought maybe it was the beginning of lung problems. X-Rays have indicated clear lungs!
    I have also developed a constant mild headache, mild unsteadyness and dizzyness and generally feeling unwell.
    My doctor and I decided to find out whether it was the Atenolol or the Ramipril which was causing the problems. He suggested that I continue to take the Ramipril and stop taking the Atenolol altogether. This I did on Friday 8 November 2013. Saturday I felt great and Sunday even better. My usual BP when taking both the Ramipril and the Atenolol is mid 130s/75 and a heart rate of 70 to 75.
    By Monday morning 11/11/2013 I felt awful and quite scared. My BP was at 170/82 and my heart rate at 109 and climbing. I thought, "That's it, experiment over!" and I took half a Atenolol.
    Within an hour my BP was down to 147/75 and heart rate was 85 by mid-day my BP was 131/73 and heart rate of 77. However, the side effects were back.
    So it would appear that I am hooked on Beta Blockers and that it would be at my peril to try and stop taking them. Has anyone else had these problems and has anyone been prescribed a new/different Beta Blocker to Atenolol that has had less/lower side effects?
    Any help/advice would be welcomed.

you have to wean off a beta blocker over about one or two weeks time or you get what you got rebound pressure, feeling adrenal surging and a high heat rate.

The Following User Says Thank You to flitz For This Useful Post:
    GrandadRog (11-14-2013)
    Old 11-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
    GrandadRog
    (male)

GrandadRog HB User
    Re: Atenolol 25mg

Thanks Flitz. Nice of my Doctor to tell me to wean off the damn things. He just told me to stop taking them. Anyway I have cut down to 1/2 x 25mg tab with effect from Thursday morning 14/11/2013. Feel better already! Will be phoning my Doc today Friday 15/11/2013 and tell him I want off the Beta Blockers. My BP can be lowered (if it really needs lowering) by some other means.

Closed Thread

Tags
    atenolol, beta blocker, blood pressure, ramipril, tight chest