It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Low renin and potassium, high sodium, normal aldosterone - adds up to...?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
    BobCre
    (male)

BobCre HB User
    Low renin and potassium, high sodium, normal aldosterone - adds up to...?

During a recent ER visit the resident treating me noticed I have a 10+ year history of low potassium (3.2-3.8; ref 3.8-5.1) and normal/high sodium (144-149; ref 135-145). I've had HBP for about 5 years, taking 20mg lisinopril qd with good results.

Aldosterone level was 8.8 ng/dL (ref 0.0-30.0) and renin was 0.55 ng/mL/hr (ref 1.31-3.95). Cortisol was 16.5 ug/dL (ref 4.4-22.0).

My PCP “isn't really sure” what these results mean, and has referred me to an endocrinologist... in late May.

I'm beginning to suffer from google-induced (mis)information-overdose paranoia.

Does anyone have an idea what these results might mean, or a good reference web site?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
    BobCre
    (male)

BobCre HB User
    Re: Low renin and potassium, high sodium, normal aldosterone - adds up to...?

Oh, forgot-

41 y.o. male; ER visit was for a kidney stone. Health history other than stage 1 hypertension (controlled) is remarkably unremarkable.

Thanks again...

Old 02-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
    midi77
    (male)

midi77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobCre View Post
    Oh, forgot-

41 y.o. male; ER visit was for a kidney stone. Health history other than stage 1 hypertension (controlled) is remarkably unremarkable.

Thanks again...
    Perhaps your kidney stone could have thrown off your kidney function a bit, perhaps you should ask for a follow-up test to see if things have normalized.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
    richh
    (male)

richh HB Userrichh HB User

You might try looking up renin aldosterone angiotensin system (raas). That should help with about half of your question. Basically it's how your kidneys try to control your bp.

I just did it because I got my test results for aldosterone and renin. I was a little low on each one.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-23-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    aldosterone, cortisol, high blood pressure, potassium, sodium