It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board

Am I at risk please help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
BrittanyLynn818
(female)

BrittanyLynn818 HB User
Am I at risk please help

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry if this isn't posted in the correct place but I'm a very worried and hoping someone can put my mind at ease. So I am a new phlebotomist and I wanted to practice on my friend who I had a crush on, this was two months ago, btw I couldn't even draw his blood even though I finished at top in my class and could draw my own blood and I have terrible veins. Anywho, before we started he pulled out a butterfly needle which was sealed and said you have to use this I've been at risk before for HIV and Hepatitis and that freaked me out but I didn't show it I sanitized my hands put the gloves on and attempted couldn't do it and he did it himself. I was attempting then to clean it up and cleaned it then at the end took my gloves off and threw everything out however I had a cut on my hand from a day ago that came in contact with toilet paper that had his blood on it. I cleaned my cut but have been worrying ever since. During the convo he told me how he ended up taking the prophylactic pills for a while then I said so you need to get checked in 6 months and a year and he said no that was two years ago and I just got checked last week because I was wondering and he said I'm good ( I think he said that I'm not 100% sure if I heard it or wanted to hear it but he did repeat it twice which made question of he really is positive or not)

I have the Hep B vaccine with immunity I checked a couple weeks ago but I've never done the HIV test my school is having a free one tomorrow provided by a healthcare center by Ryan Nena. It supposedly takes 15-20 minutes I'm assuming it's oraquick but I'm not sure I'm also not sure if 2 months is enough for an accurate result. It's a little more than 2 months since. But yeah I'm sorry for the paragraphs. I would love to see your responses. Thank you.

-Brittany Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
Apollo123
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User
Re: Am I at risk please help

Your cut would have healed by that time. You were not at risk from HIV.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:12 AM   #3
BrittanyLynn818
(female)

BrittanyLynn818 HB User

Thank you for the response,

What about if the cut was fresh. It came in contact with blood not directly from the source ( his bleeding arm ) would that still be a risk and is a 2 month test at my school conclusive? It's not a blood test?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Apollo123
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

By your own admission you said the cut was not fresh, so it's pointless engaging in theoretical situations.

You should have recived training for your position for HIV transmission. If you have not then you must do so.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
Kszan
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

It's not possible to get infected by toilet paper. If you're going to be a phlebotomist for real then you'd better learn the correct information about blood borne infections and what's a risk and what isn't. Because you're going to look pretty dumb to a patient who does know about this stuff while you're in the corner freaking out over a non risk situation. It's not going to look good if someone who deals with blood on a daily basis doesn't know this basic information.

Closed Thread

Tags
exposure, hiv, hiv aids, risk, two months