It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

HIV Prevention Message Board

Symptoms 3 days after unprotected encounter

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
capston22
(male)

capston22 HB User
Symptoms 3 days after unprotected encounter

Hello,

Was looking for some information regarding ARS Symptoms.
I am a 21 year old man from the UK and three days ago I have vaginal sex with a 19 year old friend also from the UK. During this encounter the condom slipped off and so I probably had about between 3 and 5 minutes of unprotected sex.

I was not too worried about this at first as I was sure she was clean, however yesterday night I picked up a slight sore throat which has got worse today. I have also picked up a headache on top of that as well.

As I had unprotected sex I was already planning on going for a test, but I just wanted to know whether these symptoms are related at all to the start of ARS symptoms, and what my chances of infection are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
SOTM
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User
Re: Symptoms 3 days after unprotected encounter

First, symptoms are never an indication of HIV status even with high risk encounters, which yours was not. However, that is far too early for any symptoms from HIV, more around 12-14 days would be them. AGAIN, even then they cannot be used as an indication of HIV.

The chances your friend has HIV(extremely low) and that you would catch it from a one time exposure if she did(also very low) have the odds completely in your favor. Yes, any unprotected sex is a risk, but I would not lose any sleep over yours.

Can you have, or both of you, test? That would eliminate your anxiety.

The Following User Says Thank You to SOTM For This Useful Post:
capston22 (01-14-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
capston22
(male)

capston22 HB User

Thank you, that's calmed down my fears quite a bit now.

I already know I was negative beforehand and I do plan to get tested in a couple of weeks just for reassurance. I may ask her to get tested as well, but I think it would probably be very impolite to do this. If I notice my anxiety really starting to effect me bad I will do so though.

Again thanks for the advice.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
SOTM
Senior Veteran
(male)

SOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB UserSOTM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by capston22 View Post
Thank you, that's calmed down my fears quite a bit now.

I already know I was negative beforehand and I do plan to get tested in a couple of weeks just for reassurance. I may ask her to get tested as well, but I think it would probably be very impolite to do this. If I notice my anxiety really starting to effect me bad I will do so though.

Again thanks for the advice.

You would be surprised just how receptive anyone is to getting tested. If you decide to do so, do not approach her in a way that makes it seem like you think she is a diseased person....she is not. Rather, approach her and express your concern for both your safety and hers, and let her know the anxiety that having the unprotected sex made you feel. Likely she feels the same way.

I have done so a couple times, and the women have never batted an eye at the request . Matter of fact, they welcomed it.

But again, your risk here is extremely low. Relax. Take a test in 6-8 weeks, that will give an extremely good indication of your status. I would be expecting a negative result were I you.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
capston22
(male)

capston22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTM View Post
You would be surprised just how receptive anyone is to getting tested. If you decide to do so, do not approach her in a way that makes it seem like you think she is a diseased person....she is not. Rather, approach her and express your concern for both your safety and hers, and let her know the anxiety that having the unprotected sex made you feel. Likely she feels the same way.

I have done so a couple times, and the women have never batted an eye at the request . Matter of fact, they welcomed it.

But again, your risk here is extremely low. Relax. Take a test in 6-8 weeks, that will give an extremely good indication of your status. I would be expecting a negative result were I you.
Thanks, nice to know I am not alone here.
If I do go ahead and ask I'll let you know how it all goes.
I am much more relaxed now and not worrying much anymore though so thank you a lot.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
capston22
(male)

capston22 HB User

Okay I'm really worried now!!!

Just had tests done for Chlamydia, Gonnorhea, HIV and Syphilis done today and it turns out that I'm positive for Chlamydia/ Gonnorhea due to this encounter (did not specify which one).

I feel distraught now and I am incredibly fearful that HIV test result will now come back positive as well, especially after the symptoms I have had. I have not been ill but I've developed spots over my arms and legs and also had diarrohea on and off.

I brushed these symptoms off as nothing at first, but now with the news that I have Chlamydia OR Gonnorhea and maybe even BOTH I am convinced I must have HIV now as well.

Can't believe I have ruined my life like this!!

Old 02-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
capston22
(male)

capston22 HB User

Okay I just got my HIV test back and i was negative (thank god). This was a four week DUO test which the doctor assured me was accurate after 4 weeks. Do I still need to be tested at a later date or is it only the Chlamydia/ Gonnorhea result I should worry about now?

Last edited by capston22; 02-10-2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Wrong post

Old 02-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
Apollo123
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Well you need to test at 12 weeks as per the CDC guidelines but you really have little to worry about if you test then.

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
capston22 (02-15-2015)
Reply Reply

Tags
hiv, risk, std