It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

High DHEA and free testosterone

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
NightLightOwl
(female)

NightLightOwl HB User
High DHEA and free testosterone

Hi everyone,

I'm 21 and for about a year now I've been having irregular periods and some spotting in between periods. About a month a go I went to my first obgyn appointment and she sent me to get some blood work done. I call and ask them for the result and I have high levels of free testosterone and high DHEA. The only thing she told me as to go back for a prescription to start birth control and the hormone levels will balance out. Shouldn't I have more tests done to see what is causing these high levels?

I'm currently waiting for the authorization for an pelvic ultrasound and my lower stomach and back are killing me. Could this be an side effect from the high hormone levels? Will birth control treat this?

Please, I'd like to hear if anyone has been through this thing before. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: High DHEA and free testosterone

I don't think the high hormone levels would cause the lower abdominal or back pain. But those levels could be indicative of something like Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) which is associated with having ovarian cysts in a "strand of beads" pattern. Those cysts can cause pain. Women with PCOS typically have an irregular menstrual cycle (usually with fewer periods). Some other symptoms are excess body and facial hair (hirsutism), oily and acne prone skin, being overweight or tendency to gain easily, and being insulin resistant. Birth control pills are typically used to regulate the cycle. Losing some weight (in women who are overweight) is oftentimes effective at regulating the cycle.

If ovarian cysts are the cause of your pain (whether or not you have PCOS), they should show up on an ultrasound.

Reply Reply

Tags
hormone imbalance, pelvic pain