It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Hypothyroid and PCOS- Weight Gain in healthy female

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
    cewarden
    (female)

cewarden HB User
    Hypothyroid and PCOS- Weight Gain in healthy female

Hi all,

Just hoping to see if anyone else has had the same experience as me and any success in treatment.

I am a 24yo female that in the past year have been gaining weight gradually (about 15-20lbs). I have not changed my diet and eat very healthy, 1600 calories/day gluten and dairy free and tons of fruits and vegetables. I should probably eat more protein but i get healthy fats through nuts, avocados, etc. I am also an avid exerciser, going to the gym 4-5 days/wk and doing a mixture of HIIT training, cardio, and weight lifting.

I have been diagnosed with PCOS by a gynecologist as I have not had regular menstrual periods (once every 6 months or so).

I've noticed more symptoms of hypothyroidism lately-- tingling hands and feet, anxiety and depression, muscle strains and joint pain. My holistic doctor did blood work and found a slightly low T3 level.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has advice on how to tackle these issues? Which type of doctor should I go to? Any suggestions on medications/supplementation?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid and PCOS- Weight Gain in healthy female

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Hypothyroidism is common and it seems many doctors don't treat it until you're outside lab ranges despite having symptoms. It's good to have labs done for TSH, free T3, free T4 as well as TPO and TgAb antibodies.

Thyroid abnormalities can cause an irregular menstrual cycle. Of course, PCOS can too as you mentioned. Do you have the classic "strand of pearls" cysts on your ovaries or was PCOS diagnosed based solely on your lack of periods?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
    cewarden
    (female)

cewarden HB User

I didn't have the "string of pearls" on ultrasound so PCOS was the definitive diagnosis. I know that PCOS is strongly related if not caused by insulin sensitivity, which I believe is linked to thyroid problems as well. I'm just wondering if a reproductive endocrinologist should be my first stop or if I should just find a general endocrinologist?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

If you want children (even if not in the near term), you may as well get established with a reproductive endocrinologist.

Reply Reply

Tags
    exercise, female, hypothyroid, pcos, polycystic ovary syndrome