It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

Not menopausal, but labs look like it

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
frodoianslip
(female)

frodoianslip HB User
Not menopausal, but labs look like it

I am going to discuss the results with my doctor next week, in the meantime I was hoping someone could point me in a direction. I'm early 40's, very physically active, eat healthy, diagnosed with sero-neg RA about a year ago . I've been experiencing Miragraines that start while I'm asleep and wake me up. Lots of fatigue, some changes in my cycle, low libido, lots of hair shedding. I decided to ask for a hormone check during my physical last week. For the 1st time in my life my cholesterol is high. I eat very little meat, fat or carbs- I've always had great cholesterol numbers. Also high, though just slightly was the RDW. The progesterone is just given as <0.5ng/ml and says it is within range. The ref ranges however say that <0.5 is post menopausal. Estradiol is 309. The testosterone test was mislabeled and must be repeated so I have no value for it.
not sure it matters but in reading other posts they mention these so I will include:
TSH- 2.24 miu/L
Free T4- 1.1 ng/dl
Free T3 3.1 pg/ml

These were taken about 13-15 days into my cycle. Any thoughts on these numbers? Is it possible to have a progesterone level of <0.5 as normal if not menopausal?

I appreciate any thoughts, this whole aging thing is starting to get old

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Not menopausal, but labs look like it

The changes in your cycle and your other symptoms may be indicative of perimenopause. But since hormones fluctuate a lot during this time, a one-time test is not helpful. Your estradiol level is in reproductive range if it's in the U.S. standard of pg/mL; not sure about progesterone. Of course you have to go a full year without a period to be considered menopausal.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
frodoianslip (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Your FSH level is indicative of menopause. A level of 34 or higher would indicate that. Did they give you that? And yes, during peri, your ranges fluctuate. But the closer it gets to 34 will give you an idea. If you are so inclined, bcp can help with the symptoms.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
frodoianslip
(female)

frodoianslip HB User

No FSH test was performed. What additional labs (if any) would you think helpful?

Old 09-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That's the gold standard. Not sure why they didn't just do that. Was this your gyno or your PCP?

Old 03-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
caramelcoffee
(female)

caramelcoffee HB User

my labs show menopause, my fsh was 55 but i have no menopause symptoms.
im 34 and everything looks normal on my cycle..

Last edited by Administrator; 03-04-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Reply Reply