It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Any connection b/t hormonal acne and thyroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
    littlebigeyes
    (female)

littlebigeyes HB User
    Any connection b/t hormonal acne and thyroid?

I'm a first time user. I've been "reading alot" lately & am certain that many of my health problems are hormonal. I'm 32 yrs. and have terrible acne (since 13-14 yrs) the only thing that has help is b.c. pills and Accutane (2 times). I recently found out I am HYPOthyroid, (TSH 10.3) and my Dr. put me on meds to treat 6 weeks ago. Any connection b/t hormonal acne and thyroid? Before the thyroid "discovery" I complained to my OBgyn and he tested my free and overall testoterone (FREE T was w/in range but TOTAL T was slightly higher than normal but "OK" - this is what he wrote on the chart). Re: the thyroid, I'm glad I found this out (can you believe I asked to be checked for thyroid?), because I had about all of the symptoms, but I feel like I have to solve my acne problem. I am just so upset. The reason why I know it is hormonal is because 10 months ago I got married and wore a strapless dress in front of 300 people (no acne), after that I went off the pill and just 6 months later MASSIVE eruption of extreme cystic acne on face, chest, back arms, nect, etc. Please help. I feel like there could be something really wrong with me. What else can I do? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User
    Re: Any connection b/t hormonal acne and thyroid?

Ask your doc about "Clomid".
    It can, in some women, increase the body's natural production of estrogen. This will help the estrogen:testosterone ratio & should reduce the acne. It will also help you get pregnant if you are off the BC pill.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
    littlebigeyes
    (female)

littlebigeyes HB User

I will look into it. Hoping to try to have kids in the next year and this is why I am trying to be so persistant about looking into hormone problems. I should have looked into it earlier. I had so many dermatologists tell me "Go back on the pill" and "We can put you on Accutane, again" but none that addressed the problem that (I think) you're not supposed to have this kind of acne in your 30's and 40's and if you do, then it look to it as a symptom of a larger problem.

Follow up question: Is it safe to say that if my total testosterone is high then my estrogen is low? I know that problems with ovaries and adrenal glands can affect testosterone, but are there issues with the body that cause the estrogen to be low? Or is it usually that the androgens take over and the estrogen gets the left overs? Thanks.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

It is the ratio of estrogen to testosterone that is most important. You can have high testosterone & high estrogen.

As you age the estrogen & testosterone both will usually decrease, but at different rates.

In men the testosterone to estrogen is best at over 20 to 1

Women is probably the reverse of that. 20 to 1 estrogen to testosterone.

If the estrogen ratio gets to high then that causes problems, bloat, no sex drive, weight gain, depression, .......

If the testosterone gets too high in the ratio then that causes problems, acne, high sex drive, irregular periods, no pregnacy, aggressive behavior, excess body hair growth,....

Natural Progesterone cream seems to help balance out the ratio for many women.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

I def believe there is a connection. I had acne since 13, and Im 23. I also began my period early around 11. I read that those who have menses earlier than the average age 12....may have an endocrine disorder or pituitary, adrenal, or ovarian tumor (worst case scenario, but 99% are benign).

They thought I might have hypoT but my tsh was 2.9 but it depends on what scale they are using and mine was on the outdated one. Even though my tsh was lower, i still have many symptoms. (low basal, cant stand the cold --but who can, dandruff, heavy periods, acne, allergies)

hypoT increases inflammation in the body, so maybe that is contributing to the severity of your acne.

but i dont know if being hypot increases your testosterone production.

if not, there is a drug called spironolactone, which blocks the androgens (not necessarily testosrerone only b/c urs was supposedly ok, so maybe dhea, lsh, and fsh.

but i think i would only go on spiro if acne was directly caused by androgens which were only as a result of ethnicity or idiopathic hirsitism.

i would check on the thyroid board as well. but do u feel as though ur acne has gotten worse over the years? mine has, so i wonder if that is just the course the acne takes by building resistance to the acne treatments or if its merely the underlying condition getting worse, ya know?

Old 07-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
    littlebigeyes
    (female)

littlebigeyes HB User

I am going to get my estrogen checked hopefully in August with an endo. My symptoms have been a wierd mix of high estrogen and high testosterone: period at 12 or 11, heavy, regular periods like clockwork, major/minor ongoing depression since college, very very high sex drive (bad news in high school)until recently and now I have very little sex drive, temper and aggressivness hit about 25, no excessive weight-fairly slender until recently and now it's hard to get rid of weight but no rapid weight gain, no excessive body hair, tons of acne no matter what, no sure about pregnancy b/c I've never tried.

I do think my acne is getting worse the older I get. And we're taught to believe that acne is for "teenagers" - what a nightmare, to have it continue into our 30's! I still get extremly jealous when I see young teenage girls and even boys that have nicer skin than me. I'm done with the "character building"!

Right now, I'm not going to go on spiro until I find out what's wrong and until after we figure out if we can have kids and all, but it is a consideration for down the road.

will check the thyroid board too

JinL, is progesterone cream used for other things besides estrogen dominance?

HaraJukuGirl2005, do you know or think you know what's causing your acne to get worse as time goes on?

Old 07-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
    HarajukuGurl2005
    (female)

HarajukuGurl2005 HB User

i wish i knew. when i hit puberty i had the baby acne that never scarred, but now i get the deep inflammed junk. it always comes back w/ a vengance no matter what topicals, antibiotics, etc i try.

but the more i read about estrogen dominance, the more i begin to think it is a big cause of our problems; a lot of it might have started with early menses. if u do a search, see if u can find dr.lam. seems like high estrogen can cause hypoT like u are experiencing. Def get your estrogen levels checked, if not a full hormonal profile.

one thing that is perplexing to me is that i have very small breasts and little fat, which would not make sense if i had high estrogen levels. i am very muscuclar though. i wonder if i could have high estrogen and testosterone as well.

in the meantime, u may want to look up natural ways of lowering estrogen, switching to organic, reduce caffeine, stress, low fat low glycemic diet....i guess every little helps.

I will admit that i was on spiro for about 2 months and i had major stress with finals, but my skin was gorgeous. on my periods i would maybe get one of those little, raised black heads....but my dermatoligst warned me that i couldnt be on spiro forever, so i thought the lowered dose in yasmin would be more appropriate. spiro also affects your potassium levels and can cause hypotension. my heart rate is generally 100/65, and the fact that it could be affected by this drug scared me.

here is another thought: once u hae all of your labs go see a natureopath, if u are not happy with your endo's decision.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-07-2006 at 05:10 AM. Reason: If you are responding to the last poster, please do not quote the post.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
    marymk
    Veteran
    (female)

marymk HB User

I never had much acne in my teens - just an occasional pimple. I became hypothyroid 9 years ago (after the birth of my daughter), at age 37. Shortly afterward, facial acne popped up, big time. I also started getting rashes and redness more easily (mostly on my face).
    I blamed this on being hypo - since the timing was about the same. I was being treated by my GP for all of this, until last year, when I finally went to a dermatologist.
    Was first given clindamycin to put on it - but that only worked to a point. Now I'm on Differin (retin-A), and that's much better, but it can be irritating.

Also, I had my hormone levels checked last summer, at it was pretty normal. Having that done again next month. I'm still breaking out - now in new places on my face. I just had a derm appointment yesterday for cystic acne (quite painful) - she gave me a shot of something (not sure what it was), and said it would clear it up in a couple of days (as opposed to a couple of weeks). I actually thought they were bug bites, (because of the pain). She said they are commonly caused by stress, which I have alot of right now, because of a death in the family.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
    littlebigeyes
    (female)

littlebigeyes HB User

Sorry to hear about the death in your family. Stress can be a huge factor. The shot you got was probably a hydrocortisone shot, I've had tons of them. Similar to a natural hormone our adrenal glands produce and it serves to stop the swelling and the inflamation; the shot takes care of that locally. I've found they usually work but they are a bother. Sometimes it is the only way to stop the cysts from crystallzing and hardening inside leaving permanent scars, etc.

Closed Thread