It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Hormone question... in need of input

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
    Tree Hugger
    (female)

Tree Hugger HB User
    Hormone question... in need of input

Hi everyone. I went to the doctor today to get my results from my hormone tests I had done last month. As we suspected my testosterone is a little elevated (I am female). He said it wasnt "very high" and not somthing he would be very worried about... BUT he wanted to put my on hormone therapy, such as the pill or the shot. Well thats all fine and good, except I have tried these methods in the past and became VERY ill from it. I have tried the different doses and different brands etc. my body just does not take well to it.
    NOW my question is this: I got the feeling from the doctor that I had two options:
    1. try birth controle again
    or
    2. try to get pregnant and if I do not get pregnant in 6 months then come back and we will re-open this "case"
    Well thats... quite the two opposing suggestions...
    (The reason he is suggesting pregnancy is because we DO want to have a child in the next year so going on birth control would be a little counter-active for that...he wasnt just trying to push that idea on me as if I had not come up with on my own) (He told me the levels arent high enough that I would be at an increased risk of miscarraige) Ok, back to the question. What would pregnancy DO to my hormones? When the pregnancy was over would my hormonal imbalance return to its normal self? with the elevated testosterone? Or would the added female hormones of pregnancy change my system and theres a chance the imbalance would not return the same....?
    I should have asked this question to my doctor but honestly I was a little stunned and ill-prepared for the meeting today and had a LOT on my mind as I walked out of there after telling him... 'no.... lets hold off on the birth control..."
    has any one ever had a pregnancy and a change of hormone levels after the prenancy that was different from their pre-pregnancy days? I mean, it DOES make sence... right? The birth control works to regulate your hormones and if I am not mistaken, the pill etc imitates pregnancy in your body to some extent?
    I feel lost, I think I need to go back to my GP not this endocrynolgist (sp?)
    but if anyone has any insight into this matter I would really appritiate it. thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User
    Re: Hormone question... in need of input

BC pills do not regulate hormones. They usually overload you with estrogen, like being pregnant. You gain weight & usually get some breast growth.

Closed Thread