It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Anyone on Natural Progesterone??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
    Question Anyone on Natural Progesterone??

I just received my saliva results and my progesterone was LOW!!! My dr wants me to start on a compunded progesterone that goes under the tongue?
    Has anyone used something like this? Are there side effects? She said I should feel an improved mood with in an hour?????

I appreciate any advice!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
    Jaysea
    Inactive
    (female)

Jaysea HB User
    Re: Anyone on Natural Progesterone??

That's a bio-identical hormone. I haven't heard of anyone having side effects from it. I haven't tried the sublingual progesterone though. I use the cream.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:35 AM   #3
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hello,
    I took it last night and did not sleep well. My dr said it would make me sleepy and I read where people sleep mcuh better HMMMM? I have not noticed the "feeling of calm" or better mood on it yet.....only been 3 days, but I did read if you did not feel an effect within 10 minutes of the under the tounge drops that you needed to take more........???

Have you noticed any effect from yours??

Old 03-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHEEESH.........amd I the ONLY one on this stuff??

Old 03-12-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
    Beppie1
    (female)

Beppie1 HB User

I took natural progesterone for awhile for estrogen dominance. First was the cream and then a bioidentical. It helped a lot with the bloating. Not so much with the sleep which was another issue.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Beppi
    Thanks for the reply.....did it affect your mood or anything else positive.
    Why did you stop taking it?

Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
    Beppie1
    (female)

Beppie1 HB User

It worked real well for the bloatedness about three years ago, when I first starting having symptoms. Getting some relief from the bloatedness helped me in many ways. So my mood probably did improve.

It was supposed to also help with my sleep but didnt. That was a harder nut to crack. We are still working on that. I just got fed up and stopped taking everything a few months ago. I am 55 now. In general I feel good, but the sleep is still an issue. Also the weight gain, which is very discouraging to me. I am used to being petite and in shape.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

From what I have read and what my Dr told me .......NATURAL progesterone(not pills) is supposed to help with weight...did you gain while on it? Are you menapausal? I am 39, partial hyster at 29 but still have my ovaries..... I was tested by saliva due to weight gain, fatigue, and major mood issues!!

I sure hope this is my magic potion!!

Old 03-13-2007, 05:24 AM   #9
    Beppie1
    (female)

Beppie1 HB User

I am 55. I dont remember that it specifically helped me lose weight. The water weight gain went away, which was a help of course. Now I am wondering if that is why my clothes are so tight now.

I really watch what I eat and exercise, so it is a great shock that I still seem to be picking up weight. It is so discouraging.

I had some symptoms in my 40's with PMS and the doctor prescribed a plant estrogen, right before my period. That helped. I have tried so many different options I am not sure what to do now. I am in the middle of some other doctoring, but maybe another hormone test is in my future.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WEll I am on day 4 of the sublingual progesterone and I have not slept in the 3 nights I took it.........I called the pharmasist yesterday and they said they had never heard of that only "causing drowsiness"........I can find it both ways on the web......I have been more anxious as well.......I have a call into my dr....... and I am headed back to bed for nap if possible!! THIS IS NOT FUN!!
    What types of hormone tests have you done? Blood or saliva? mine was saliva........I wonder about some of those tests

Old 03-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
    Beppie1
    (female)

Beppie1 HB User

I do sympathize with you FQ. It has been such a merry go round for me with some success and some failure. I know the progesterone made a friend of mine hyper when it is supposed to do the opposite.

Everybody seems to be different and then some of us have more persistent issues that arent fixed easily. I think all doctors like the quick fix and when that doesnt work on you, you are the problem patient. Stay on them and read all you can is my only suggestion.

I had salive and urine tests initially. Thinking now about going back in for more test. I am also in the middle of testing for some GI issues. Oh the fun never ends!!! I don't know if this could be effecting my current weight gain/bloatedness or not.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
    Jaci25
    (female)

Jaci25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fusionqueen View Post
    I just received my saliva results and my progesterone was LOW!!! My dr wants me to start on a compunded progesterone that goes under the tongue?
    Has anyone used something like this? Are there side effects? She said I should feel an improved mood with in an hour?????

I appreciate any advice!!

I've used (bio-identical) nat. progesterone cream compounded by the pharmacy for a few yrs. now. It does have a calming effect. I didn't want to have to take prozac bc of my erratic emotions that are assoicated with fluctuating hormone levels, so that's how I got started on the progesterone. From everything I have understood about it, it is safe to take.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
    fusionqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thanks for your reply......is it a cream or under the tongue? Did you notice any changes in weight? I feel a little nauseas on mine...........I had my yearly with my Ob/GYN who did not prescribe this med.........she said it was not recommended BUT if I thought it made me feel better than take it....... I may go back on it to see if there is a difference. THe first week I noticed weight loss........the BOOm it came back plus a few????

Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
    seconhand
    (female)

seconhand HB User

My saliva test came back progesterone at 23, Estrodiol at 1.2 and Ratio Pg/EZ at 19. I was prescribed a compounded cream, 100% wild yam base 50 mg/ml, use 1cc topically daily. I felt wonderful. I have been hypothyroid since 85. My TSH numbers went through the roof 1 1/2 months after I started using the cream. Ruling out everything, the internist I saw said to discontinue.
    Of possible interest, I just received blood results for Progesterone which came in at 9.31 but the Estrodiol came in at 131. I get so confused!
    Best of Luck
    Sharon

Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
    danigirl
    (female)

danigirl HB User

I have been on the progesterone cream, naturally compounded by my doctor, on the skin. When I first started using it, it seemed like all of my symptoms became worse. The doctor said this is because the excess estrogen hormones are trying to fight it. After you are on it for about a month or so, you will start to feel better. I used it for about six months. I finally began to feel the calm, sleep better, I lost water weight, everything. I was also a little nauseous at first, this is the hormones. I had to stop taking it though, because after the six months, my periods became really heavy, and all the symptoms came back. So I think you can only use it for so long. Now I am not on anything, and I still think I have too much estrogen, but not sure what to do about it.

Closed Thread