It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• help with understanding what the numbers mean

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
    tinytoes
    (female)

tinytoes HB User
    help with understanding what the numbers mean

hello! i had bloodwork done last week and i got back my tsh level which was 1.887 and my estrodil (i am sure i am spelling that wrong) is 56. the doctor didn't offer any assistance in telling me what they meant other than saying everything came back normal. i have a complete metabolic blood test as well.

any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User
    Re: help with understanding what the numbers mean

I do not know much about female hormone test ranges, but here are the way the ranges are used for males.

Each test has a range. It is different for each lab. Estrogen has three main tests. E1, E2, & E3. E2 is the most powerfrul estrogen, It is estradiol.

In some labs for males E2 runs from 10 to 54. That means a group of men were tested at ages from 21 to 90. Most doctors call any number in that range as normal range. My first test for E2 was 84 & the doctor said it was a little high. It is not, it is a reference for ages. My E2 is now below 15 & that is good for me. Many doctors will tell a male he is normal if he is at 50 in the range. That is not a good number, it should be below 25 at all male ages for good health.

A male testosterone range may be 200 to 800. A reading of 220 by most doctors would be normal. That is not a good level, males of all ages should be in the upper 1/2 of the range. The younger the higher.

Always get a complete copy of the blood tests with the ranges so you can have them for you personal records. In the USA the doctor is required to give you a copy if requested.

Most doctors had a three hour class in hormones as required. A few doctors took more classes in hormones.

Get the copy & ask your doctor to explain each test for you. He works for you, you pay him for his "knowledge".

Old 05-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I had my TSH done in April. The normal range for the following are:

TSH = 0.350-5.500
    T4 = 4.5-12.0
    T3 = 24-39
    Free Thyroxine Index = 1.2-4.9

It depends on the time of the month you went to get tested too.
    For your estrogen levels
    days 1-10 61-394
    days 11-20 122-437
    days 21-30 156-350
    post meno <40

Progesterone
    follicular 0.2-1.4
    luteal 3.3-25.6
    mid luteal 4.4-28.0
    post meno 0.0-0.7

Testostergone serum 14-76

Cortisol test AM FEMALE 4.3-22.4
    Cortisol test PM FEMALE 3.1-16.7

Old 05-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
    tinytoes
    (female)

tinytoes HB User

i had the test done between days 11-20. my result was 56. i am only 35 so i don't think i am postmenopasul. i wish i understood all of this i am not even sure what all tests i had done. ugh......

Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

In order for you to be Post meno you would have to have a number lesss than 40. You can be post meno at 35. I had a friend that I worked that was.
    It's not as common but it does happen. You can be in your 20's 30's or 40's and go through post meno if you have had one of your ovaries removed.

Days 11-20 you should have been between 122-437
    Since your number was 56 you are low in estrogene.

Common side effects that happen when you lack estrogen are:
    Rapid pulse rate, Bloating, Fatigue that worsens during the day,Constant fatigue, lethargy and fatigue on light exertion,Short-term memory failure,
    Poor Memory,Hot flashes ,Joint pain, swelling and stiffness ,Decreased Sex Drive ,Depression ,,Headaches ,Osteoarthritis ,Low Back Pain ,Dry skin
    Vaginal Dryness ,Recent unexplained weight gain

Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
    tinytoes
    (female)

tinytoes HB User

thank you soo much for the info! i don't know if i should ask my doc for more specific tests and which tests those would be or if i should seek out a new doctor? like i said in my previous posts, i am a pretty healthy 34 (35 soon) year old. never had any major illnesses only 2 c-sections. my daughter is 3 and i feel like my post partum depression never really cleared up. between 2 antidepressants, one would assume something should change. i even have my pregnancy mask on my face still. i saw my dermatoligist last fall and she confirmed that is what it is. my face looks tan year round because of it. she said it's due to hormones still. i just feel like i am a mess and want answers!

i apreciate all the info and time you have provided!

Old 05-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

The mask can be taken care of through your derm. Mine said I need Fraxel to get rid of mine. I asked about the lines around my eyes and she suggested Fraxel to rid me of both. I have to wait till the winter cause muy job requires me to be in the sun daily. With Fraxel I need to be out of the sun for at least 2 weeks if not more.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hi i had 1 ovary and tube removed in jan 2006 i was tested for my fsh it came back 47. something what does this mean? im not having any hotness or anything like that i do have thyriold illness though and the other thing i feel which is bugging me is my breasts hurt real bad .so is 47. meno or prei or post my dr told me no but i dont know i think i feel bad because of the thyriold my last tsh was 1.54 but my dr never checks my frees or my t's just the tsh .vickie

Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #9
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I have never had an FSH test. So I dont know that the numbers are for that. I've only had my Thyroid Panel with TSH and free uptake. On my TSH results I had 2.703 and the ranges are 0.350-5.500

I read last night that not all labs use the same range numbers. Ask for a copy of your test results you should be able to see the ranges on it.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
    DrMercer
    Inactive
    (male)

DrMercer HB User

In general, your Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) level CAN indicate menopause. Depending on the lab reference levels a level of 45 is usually menopausal. All labs should have their own reference levels. If a woman is not menstruating and has an FSH of 45 she is probably menopausal. Thyroid disease, especially low thyroid, can effect menstruation but not FSH to any great degree. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) levels of greater than 5.5 can be signs of low thyroid function. This can manifest as weight gain, fatigue, hair loss, cold intolerance, etc. If you have symptoms of menopause; hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, vaginal dryness, etc. and your FSH is normal this indicates that you are probably peri-menopausal or possibly have thyroid problems. Menopausal or climacteric symptoms are due to relative decreases in estrogen NOT the absence of estrogen. Age is important in this evaluation as is the age that your mother went through menopause. As always, if your doctor will not explain this to you or talk with you about this....find another doctor. Put those anachronistic dinosaurs out of business.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

hi yes my fsh is 47.6 but im not having any type of symtons no hotness or nightsweats i suffered a yr with my thyriold tsh level at 8.45 when my psychiatrist finally found out i had it i thought i did but the old gp i was seeing refused to test my hormones or thyriolds i get a copy each and everytime i get labs done i was on 75mcgs of levothyroxine for 2 mos before that when i first found out i was on 25mcgs then went to 50 mcgs then to the 75mcgs well took 75mcgs for like 2 mos then my chests started hurting really bad so i tried a 50 still hurt so im on the 25mcgs my chests dont hurt as bad its not in my chests but before it was now its right below my breasts that hurt plus my panic is coming more and more i have panic disorder with agraphobia so and before when my tsh was 8.45 and before i was sleeping nonstop deep deep depression i was a total mess im ok so far but im not 100% the 25mcgs arent high enough really but im scared to take 50 cause i dont want my chest to hurt again my dr did run some test on me the tsh 3rd gen
    tsh reflex
    t3 & 4 ft 3 & 4
    and my fsh was 47.6 and the other tests for meno or whatever says low so does this mean i need some female hormone replacements as well
    im not depressed now nor do i cry i think im very stressed though because of the way i feel i cant leave my house if i do i fall down like im allmost to the point of passing out totally .
    im going to church tomorrow and im turning to god for help i have suffered so long and i allmost cant handle much more my dr will get the labs monday can a certain brand of thyriold medicine cause side effects i been on levothyroxine since jan 2007 but maybe the t 3& 4 and ft 3& 4 will tell him something .when my dr calls im asking him about my fsh and finding out if im in prei or meno im 45 but no period since dec 06 but i spotted in march and may very little.i have my labs i can post it .
    its fsh 47.6 says high range is 1.0-8.0
    LH-39.8 range 1.9-16.3
    estradiol 24.0 low range 26.6-201.0
    plus
    follicular phase-2.5-10.2
    luteal phase-1.5-9.1
    mid cycle peak-1.6-18.8
    post meno-23.0-116.3
    ao what is this telling me.
    thanks vickie

Closed Thread