It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Hormone Imbalance possible cause of ED?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
    Bladedream
    (female)

Bladedream HB User
    Hormone Imbalance possible cause of ED?

My wife (pre-op transsexual MTF) has, for the last 20 years, had difficulty getting an erection. She's 41, only recently started getting hormone treatments, and has had the problem before getting estrogen (even before that, one test said she had low testosterone).

Since she was 22, she's had difficulty feeling sensation on her penis, getting an erection, and when she did manage to, difficulty maintaining it. She's been to several doctors, all who turned her away saying it was in her head or treated her with contempt (even before transitioning or coming to terms with what she is). The doctor she has for her estrogen suggested a blood profile for a hormone check, but the lab lost it somehow.

I recently met her, and after thinking through her problem, did some research online and found that an imbalance of some hormones (DHT, especially) can cause problems with sensation and blood flow. I'm curious about this, and hoping I could get an opinion and some answers so I can help my wife. Thank you for the time reading and, hopefully, answering.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
    Bengie
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Bengie HB User
    Re: Hormone Imbalance possible cause of ED?

yes, sounds like he has low T. this will cause ED and loss of sensation amongst other things. he ran into what a lot of guys run into with doctors that dont understand how to treat male hormon problems. Lots of guys get told its in your head. if keeping an erection important to him then he will have to get on T replacement therapy

Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
    rumpled
    Veteran
    (female)

rumpled HB User
    Re: Hormone Imbalance possible cause of ED?

Also get DHEA sulfate tested if you can - that is a precursor hormone to both estrogen and testosterone and will convert to both. Estrogen will also covert to testosterone (and I think vice versa). I know when I have had messed up testosterone, both were a mess.
    DHEA is available over the counter in the US. I would not advise taking too much of it as it will cause acne and greasy skin but it sometimes it may just be the boost one needs if one is just a little low. Otherwise you would have to get a doctor to get the transdermal supplements. Good luck.
    I would look at getting complete testing - if one hormone is off, usually more than one is off.

Closed Thread