It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• Has Anyone Ever Gone to A Hormone Clinic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
    vince10
    (male)

vince10 HB User
    Has Anyone Ever Gone to A Hormone Clinic?

I was considering going to a hormone clinic. I have an under active thyroid and none of the thyroid meds seem to work for me. I also would like my DHEA, testosterone and HGH levels tested since I'm over 50. I was wondering if these places are real or are they a ripoff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
    wt2
    (male)

wt2 HB User
    Re: Has Anyone Ever Gone to A Hormone Clinic?

Hi,

I have been going to an Anti-Aging clinic for a few months. They did a lot of testing of my hormone levels, along with my vitamin and other supplement levels. The results did show that I am deficient in several hormones, including thyroid, testosterone, hgh, and others. I am not entirely happy with the doctor at this clinic and am looking for a better one. The main thing I get from these type of centers is that they don't just look at the normal range of a test and tell you that you are ok if you are anywhere within the norm. However these tests, and almost all of the doctors fees are expensive and often times they are not covered by your insurance. So far I have seen some results, but not the major ones I am still hoping for. I have the same thyroid problem, and think I have found several other doctors (at similar types of clinics) that can help me better than the one I now have. To me, these clinics make sense in general, and from all the reading I have been doing, it appears to me that many of the doctors that run them are there after searching for solutions to their own, or their patients, problems that the traditional medical community has been unable to fix. In my case, my family doctor prescribed testosterone therapy for me and started me on shots. After many months of no results from the shots, I then moved to a gel, which did not help either. So I started reading about the best methods for getting this therapy. It seems like doctors from the bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (bhrt) were the ones that had a lot more answers for that, so I read more from them. I have now read many hormone therapy books, and if you haven't done any reading I would recommend reading some of the following books: Suzanne Somers' Breakthrough, and Ageless books, and Thierre Hertoghe's The Hormone Solution. Hgh is being used by many people, including the two authors just mentioned. However, they generally work on other hormones first to see if they, or other natural methods, will help improve your hgh. And, I have also been told that the only replacement method that works well are shots that cost upwards of $800/month. The topical cream that the Anti-Aging clinic prescribed has finally worked to bring up my testosterone level--something the other methods failed at for me. As far as the costs of these treatments go, I have a chronic fatigue problem for which I view getting my energy back as being worth a lot more to me (if I could work more), then the costs. I hope this helps!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Like Wt2 said, most doctors look at lab ranges and if you fall within the range they simply tell you that you're fine and send you on your way. Thyroid issues are most often being treated this way, or they will only look at your TSH and base everything on that. Most doctors and Endo's also don't look at symptoms and they don't have specific targets for your thyroid hormones T4 and T3. They also rarely check for thyroid antibodies to see whether you have an auto immune thyroid condition.

The other area where doctors tend to use the "too hard basket" is for general hormones like your estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, DHEAs etc A lot of women are having issues in this area where they are suffering from estrogen dominance and it's a known cause for breast, head and neck cancers in women and in men high estrogen is connected to prostate cancer. Yet doctors aren't taking hormones seriously. Women are often offered a hysterectomy, especially if they are past childbearing years as that is easier for doctors than correcting their hormone levels.

I've never been to a hormone clinc, i have spent some time with a naturopath. Being female i'm aware my issues are different to male hormone issues, but in a lot of cases there can be similarities, as in the things which lead to hormone imbalance: pollutions, chemicals, pesticides, diet, lifestyle, plastics, styrofoams, illness. Hormone imbalance is bad for both men and women.

A lot of people with thyroid issues tend to have other hormonal issues eg: lack/excess cortisol so adrenals don't work correctly. They often suffer with hormonal imbalance. Thyroid and the adrenals go hand in hand quite often. I had a problem with both, but now my adrenals are functioning well without meds. My doctor attributes this to my Vit D finally rising high. He is also checking on my hormones by doing a saliva panel test. He routinely checks my Vit D and my ferritin each time he checks my thyroid panel as he wants certain things at certain levels.

Often thyroid meds wont be as effective if there are other things which are out as well eg: poor adrenal function. They both need to be addressed.

Thyroid sufferers are known to suffer malabsorption of nutrients. I've been on digestive enzymes to help me out as my pancreas doesn't produce sufficient enzymes to digest protein. Today my doctor has additionally put me on betaine hydrochloride to aid digestion. Undigested food particles can ferment and cause enflammation to areas in the body and my doctor feels this is what has occured with my thyroid.

The other area which needs looking at in regards to hormones is the liver. Phase 2 liver detox is the one responsible for sending off what the body is not going to retain and the liver has filtered. eg; it sends off excess estrogen, but if it's not detoxing well enough due to being sluggish, the estrogen will stay in the body. I have been taking something called Indolplex to help metabolise the excess estrogen into good estrogen, but i've yet to get retested to see how effective it's been. My naturopath also includes globe artichoke in my herbal drops as it's an effective liver tonic.

Vince10 - in your case, either your doctor didn't have you on the right combination of meds eg; some people need to take both T4 and T3 meds, yet their doctor only has them on a T4 med. Your doctor might not have you on the correct dosage or maybe there are other things which need to be addressed too, not just your thyroid. You might want to check out a new thyroid doctor as there are some good ones, just far and few between. I have to catch a train and a bus and take an entire day off work to see my doctor, but the hassle is worth it if it makes me feel better.

Good luck guys, hoping you find someone who can help you.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
    tired47
    (female)

tired47 HB User

I have been to antiaging dr and she checked all my hormones... unfortunately I have other issues too. She did help me somewhat and was worth seeing in my opinion.
    Audrey,
    How did you find a "good" naturopath?? My PCP has recommended I find one, since this is not his area... but where to start?? Some work only but muscle testing, some by symptoms.... I have no ideas?? And since insurance does not cover it I must chose the carefully since it is $$.
    Thanks and good luck to all.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi tired47 - Someone on the net was asking about a good naturopath some years ago and when someone replied, i noted the name and number in case i needed one. As it happened, this naturopath is part of a health and beauty school. I get to speak to a student who is graduating, while one or two other students might take notes and listen in. Their teacher will come in at some point to see how it's going, then when it's over they will discuss my case with their teacher and work out what is the best solution to all my issues. This works out good for me as i do not pay for the consultation, only for the herbs. I wouldn't mind even paying for the consultation as they have helped me more than the doctors i had seen prior to the naturopath. Doctors only wanted to stick me on birth control.

When looking for a naturopath i'd suggesting phoning/visiting them and discussing how they go about diagnosing issues. I visited one once and she used some gadget on my finger which was attached to her computer. The computer would give a read out. I'm not sure how reliable this system is!! Some years back i saw one and he incorporated iridology, but i'm not sure he knew what he was doing. He never saw anything remotely to do with my thyroid and i'm sure that ought to have shown up if he knew what he was doing. The one i see now at the school most went by me filling in forms asking all kinds of questions about my health. She also wanted to see past test results. It helps that she has a very good understanding on hormones and the thyroid. I guess they all have different ways of practicing and it's a matter of trial and error in finding a really good one, or word of mouth.

I also have a good doctor now for my thyroid issues and he works with a mix of herbal and pharmaceutical meds. This is good as he doesn't mind working in with my naturopath. I know a lot of doctors wouldn't like this type of set up.

As for the costs, here in Australia we have an entirely different medical set up compared to the USA. Our previous prime minister was looking at adopting something similar to the USA but i'm glad he never got to do so. After seeing the struggle you guys go through i'm not sure that type of medical system would go down well here. Private health insurance is optional here. We also have a government type medical card where for certain things the government pays for them, but each tax payer does contribute via a levy at their end of financial year tax, but it's all affordable and people still have choices and you don't have to worry about seeing your GP due to not having insurance.

It's hard finding someone dedicated and honest, who isn't just after your money. Hope you find someone good soon

Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
    vince10
    (male)

vince10 HB User

So you took HGH? Also what was your Testosterone levels before and after your treatments.?

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-06-2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread