It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hormone Problems Message Board

• my blood work shows high afternoon cortisol levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
    ellen18
    (female)

ellen18 HB User
    my blood work shows high afternoon cortisol levels

my blood work shows high afternoon cortisol levels. what might be causing this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: my blood work shows high afternoon cortisol levels

You are supposed to wake up with higher cortisol levels and then as the day progresses the levels drop.

I was waking up with low cortisol levels and by lunchtime had no cortisol left and i was tired 24/7.

From memory, i think when i did my research on my cortisol levels i read that high cortisol levels could lead to Cushings Disease. What could lead to high levels of cortisol in the first place could be any number of things ranging from:People suffering from depression, alcoholism, malnutrition, or panic disorders also have increased cortisol levels. Maybe if you have had a lot of stess over a long period of time this could have cause your cortisol imbalance? Have you had your full thyroid panel checked out eg: Your TSH, FT4, FT3 and Thyroid Antibodies? Often adrenal and thyroid issues go hand in hand, but you can have the adrenal issues all on their own without thyroid issues too.

Has your doctor explained any of this or said what is the next step? It's important to get your adrenal glands functioning normally again so they can output the right amount of cortisol throughout the day. Too low or too high cortisol levels are as bad as each other.

How about your Vitamin D? Healthy levels of Vit D are also helpful to our adrenal function.

Closed Thread